im this close to giving up

mccarty

• Members
I'm calling user error on this. I don't see how someone could play almost every high gain channel switcher in existence and not like the feel of any of them

And how the {censored} are you considering Bogner's, Diezels, and two amp setups in high school? I'm in high school as well, doing every thing I can to come up with the cash for a Mod 50 and its not easy, its looking like I'll have to be ampless for a while to afford it. And you could buy two of those for the price of a Diezel
:freak:
Your parents must be loaded
:eek:

I am also looking at high enders and I am 2 or 3 years younger then him. OP, so you have playing all those amps? Try the Randall MTS or a Mesa Mark series.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
looking for THE amp
:cry:

ive played most of the amps carried by guitar chains and cant find anything that really does what i need

but then again im the only kid at my high school that plays everything from jazz, blues, all the way up to the br00tz

the only amps im going to try before i give in and find a two amp set up are koch, suhr/custom audio, and maybe even zinky or 65

ive spent hours with xtc's, roadkings, SEs, etc. and havent found something that i gives me what i want

not sure if there was a point to this, other than letting out my frustration
:blah:

Please don't take my post as trying to be mean or sarcastic...

We need more to work with here. Otherwise your just going to be getting recommendations of everyones' favorite amps. And since I can't resist...have you tried a Hiwatt? there, now I feel better

I'm not sure the variety of music you play (blues, jazz, the br00tz?) really matters. I say it doesn't matter because you'll find guitar players playing on rigs that would make you think they play metal, and they use it to play jazz, so don't rule anything out.

You say you haven't found something that gives you what you want. What is it you want? You could say you play strictly metal and that still doesn't really tell us anything...that could be a scooped mid sound, boosted mids, boosted trebles, dirty sounding, clean & tight sounding, dark, bright...etc. Every amp is going to be better at acheiving a different quality...obviously.

What kind of pedals are you currently using and which ones have you tried? Have you tried your whole setup with each amp? While you're at the store, do you try other pedals besides yours with all the amps you try? Every amp you try is limited to the directions you push it in...and your fingers.

Still, if your as tone concience as you say you are, you'll be hard pressed to find one amp that covers so much, and I'll assume your against amp modeling or computer programs...I know I am.

• Members

ah, I am 13 and in Canada. Things are different AFAIK.

He speaks the truth. Many places would not hire someone who is 13. I had to wait till 15/16 to get anything decent. Only jobs I had before that were for family/friends companies.

• Members

I am also looking at high enders and I am 2 or 3 years younger then him. OP, so you have playing all those amps? Try the Randall MTS or a Mesa Mark series.

Yeah, but weren't you looking at Mk IIIs and JSXs? There's a big difference between $1k and under and $3k+

• Members

im considering that, but i also am looking at something like a fender tube combo (like a 65 twin reverb or similar) for jazz and blues and then a second amp to cover the rest with probably a little overlap

If you have the cash....65 twin reverb and a line 6 floor unit. The amp has a ton of headroom and the board will give you the tones and versitility. Ballpark just under two grand.

• Members

Dude your thinking of giving up on finding the holy grail of amps and your still in high school?
Get used to it, no matter how old you get you will always be searching for the one amp that will do it all.
When you get the time, age, money, or boredom you will go to two amps and that will calm the search for some years, but nothing will ever stop the quest for the holy grail TONE!

• Members

How about two heads through a stereo 4x12, or a 2x12 with a Radial Head Bone switcher? A little less to carry than two heads and cabs or combos, and if you are doing just a jazz/blues gig, or just a rock/metal gig, you only have to bring one head. Just a thought.

• Members

i had the same problem a few years back.

i played a ton of high end amps and i just could not get a tone i liked out of any of them. every amp sounded the same to me.

when i looked back on it a year or so later i saw that i was looking for too much out of my amp. the tone i was hearing that i didnt like was in my fingers. i was expecting to pick up an amp and have it not sound like me. but that isnt going to happen. you have to like the tone youre getting out of your fingers before you can like the tone youre getting out of your amp. and you can get better tone out of your fingers by practicing more and becoming a better player.

because in all honesty if a Bogner XTC or an ENGL SE isnt versatile enough for you then i dont know what can be.

but damn man, if you have enough money for those amps and can justify spending it go for it. most guys on these boards would kill for an amp like that. if it doesnt sound good to you now, im sure you can work with it to find something you like. especially with the SE. theres so many options on that thing you could get practically any tone you could think of out of it.

• Members

What sound are you looking for? Jazz wise? Brootal wise?

I didn't like the Roadking at all, but I absolutely loved the Roadster. I thought it was the best amp I've ever played and I've had a bunch of high end amps -dual recto, tremoverb, mark IV, soldano slo, bogner xtc, vht ultra lead, vintage jcm 800, dsl, line 6.

Having said that I'm currently running a marshall mk III and using a boost and am really digging it.

-SOMMS

• Members
Well its pretty hard to give you benefit of the doubt here. You've given us vague descriptions of what you play, you've somehow tried almost every high end channel switching amp ever made, and somehow none of them meet your standards despite them covering the entire tone/feel spectrum. You're young and someone considering incredibly expensive equipment, which I know isn't impossible considering there are lot teenagers around here with great rigs, but oftentimes when someone vaguely mentions that they're "saving up" it doesn't amount to much. And just now you've gone to the classic "Well _______ thinks I'm a great guitar player so there!" This all undermines your credibility and causes people to jump to "Your doin it wrong"

If you want any sort of constructive advice you're going to have to give us some specifics about your playing style, what type of feel/sound you're looking for, what a realistic price range is for you, and what conditions you played these amps other.

Yeah, but weren't you looking at Mk IIIs and JSXs? There's a big difference between $1k and under and $3k+

I am now looking at a VHT Sig X or an Egnater Tourmaster or something of that sort.

• Members
I can't legally get a job until I am 16 so I just have to keep saving.

How old are you?

I had my first job (Still there)
since I was 15. If you find the right place, get a work permit etc. they SHOULD let you work there, provided that they have a open position for you.

But ya, keep saving.

My main gripe with having money at a young age is not spending it. I am excellent at money management, my parents tought me that very well. But {censored}! I've made $3400 since christmas working part time. And I want a UL :mad:

• Members
How old are you?

I had my first job (Still there)

since I was 15. If you find the right place, get a work permit etc. they SHOULD let you work there, provided that they have a open position for you.

But ya, keep saving.

My main gripe with having money at a young age is not spending it. I am excellent at money management, my parents tought me that very well. But {censored}! I've made $3400 since christmas working part time. And I want a UL
:mad:

• Members
Hold the {censored} up batman, im only 20 and look at the {censored} loads of gear I have. None of it through my parents, some people are just good at managing money
:cop:

I buy and sell gear as well as working a very well paid part time job.

Like I said, if he is paying for his own gear, then that's really great. I just found (find?) it somewhat doubtful. I have no problem with young people owning nice gear; I'm only 23 anyway.

Archived