im this close to giving up

mccarty

• Members

You're in high school. The "amp" you want is learning how to control and use EQ and boost and channels.

This is the most stupid, closed minded bull{censored} that I've ever heard. Please

STFU NOOB!!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm calling user error on this. I don't see how someone could play almost every high gain channel switcher in existence and not like the feel of any of them

And how the {censored} are you considering Bogner's, Diezels, and two amp setups in high school? I'm in high school as well, doing every thing I can to come up with the cash for a Mod 50 and its not easy, its looking like I'll have to be ampless for a while to afford it. And you could buy two of those for the price of a Diezel :freak: Your parents must be loaded :eek:

• Members

I'm calling user error on this. I don't see how someone could play almost every high gain channel switcher in existence and not like the feel of any of them

And how the {censored} are you considering Bogner's, Diezels, and two amp setups in high school? I'm in high school as well, doing every thing I can to come up with the cash for a Mod 50 and its not easy, its looking like I'll have to be ampless for a while to afford it. And you could buy two of those for the price of a Diezel
:freak:
Your parents must be loaded
:eek:

I'm in high school as well. I work my ass off to pay for my gear. I got rid of my cellphone so I could save more for gear. That's just how I afford all my stuff.:poke:

• Members

Meh, when I was in highschool I worked 30+ hours a week on a farm in the summer and I didn't have any bills other than car insurance. During school I worked at Wendys and as a part time Janitor. I had more gear then than I do now.

• Members

i feel ya on the high school kid trying to get sweet gear, thing is, you really shouldnt care too much about having the perfect setup while at your age, just get one that can do the most and feels the best and go with that one, because your tastes will surely change, as mine have, and you will benefit from having that extra cash to fund a future gear purchase.

right now, i have a gibson V (glossy, not faded), 70s reissue strat, a jackson dinky (maple neck kind), an ibanez iceman, and a ibanez nylon string acoustic for guitars, a 2ch Mesa DR, a Mesa Quad preamp and a 50/50 power amp, i also have a valve jr for amps, and im looking to get a Mako MAK-2, i also have an assortment of pedals and effects, one including a g major and a ground contol pedal, and i just graduated from high shool a little over a month ago.

all of my gear purchases except the acoustic was earned by me because i worked my ass off at {censored}ty places.

sure, i got fired recently from my last job, but i figured i should be looking for jobs now that make me feel good about showing up and working, i dont want to be like half of the people there that just wanted to come in and get it over with.

i enjoyed my gas station job because i got to talk to random people, and actually on occasion, give directions to those lost. it wasnt saving a life but i felt like i was actually helping someone who really needed some help.

but back to the topic, get what will do the most for you now, and worry about perfection later, i got my dual recto for both metal {censored} and my cover band. i was complimented on the tone by one of my friends who owns a hughes and kettner triamp, he said that though the cleans werent super clean, it still had a nice bit of grit to it that seemed to give energy to the music that might not have been there otherwise.

good luck.

• Members

Peavey Rockmaster. Seriously; that thing has been really impressing me. I'm loathe to admit it, but it might just be my favorite amp I've owned yet... of course you need a power amp as well, and some way to switch it (I use a G-major). And it's retardedly cheap. I play progressive death by the way, so I'm mostly using the clean channel and the high-gain channel, but the mid-gain channel sounds fantastic as well.

Rock Master + G-major + power amp = killer, inexpensive and very versatile.

And hold the {censored}ing phone... how are you out there contemplating XTCs, Road Kings and SEs, let alone a two amp setup... and you're still in high school? Forgive me for being presumptuous, but spend your own money... not mommy and daddy's. You'll appreciate what you're playing a lot more when it's been funded by your own hard-earned money. If you've somehow amassed enough of a pile of cash to consider Bogners, Engls and beyond, then more power to you I suppose. When I was in high school I was psyched as hell to buy my first 1x12 combo.

I've got a rockmaster, and for more technical high gain stuff, that thing is PERFECT. Very precise, tight distortion.

I prefer my 5150 normally because I dig a bit more grime in my gain. I dont really play much technical thrash. But I always thought that thing could cop the attitude of, say, early Nevermore (Politics of Ecstasy) tones. I play stuff with ab it more of a swing to it.

But I gotta agree with the rest of the guys. You either dont know what you're looking for or you're hearing your own sound taht you dont like. I've been playing my 5150 since I was 17 and Im almost 23. It still makes my balls tingle, and I have my days where I dont like the way it sounds, but that has more to do with my fingers than the amp.

• Members

If you've extensively tried the SE, XTC, roadking, stilletto, mark IV, JVM, Herbert, SLO, etc. and STILL can't find tone you like, then the problem isn't the amp. Maybe you should just be happy with what you have and practice more :o Maybe it's your guitar, the pickups, your playing, your lack of ability to dial in, who knows. But those amps basically cover the spectrum of tone and voicings from low mids to high, loose, tight, etc.

Archived