im this close to giving up

mccarty

• Members
If you've extensively tried the SE, XTC, roadking, stilletto, mark IV, JVM, Herbert, SLO, etc. and STILL can't find tone you like, then the problem isn't the amp. Maybe you should just be happy with what you have and practice more
:o
Maybe it's your guitar, the pickups, your playing, your lack of ability to dial in, who knows. But those amps basically cover the spectrum of tone and voicings from low mids to high, loose, tight, etc.

If you can't get it from any of these quit guitar and buy a drum kit instead of an amp.
At least you can knock the {censored} out of a kit when you get really frustrated cos it doesn't sound the way you want it to. :cop:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
And hold the {censored}ing phone... how are you out there contemplating XTCs, Road Kings and SEs, let alone a two amp setup... and you're still in high school? Forgive me for being presumptuous, but spend your own money... not mommy and daddy's. You'll appreciate what you're playing a lot more when it's been funded by your own hard-earned money. If you've somehow amassed enough of a pile of cash to consider Bogners, Engls and beyond, then more power to you I suppose. When I was in high school I was psyched as hell to buy my first 1x12 combo.

Hold the {censored} up batman, im only 20 and look at the {censored} loads of gear I have. None of it through my parents, some people are just good at managing money :cop:

I buy and sell gear as well as working a very well paid part time job.

• Members

mebbe the problem isn't necessarily the amp at all- but the setup. i've seen guitarists HATE their sound, readjust pickups, and be bowled over by how responsive and fantastic the same damn amp sounds...

most guys put their pickups too high... so it's all mud no matter WHAT it goes through 'cause the outputs too hot...

try adjusting pickups-- you might have a different take on ALL those amps!

• Members

We've got a guitar/player problem here with all the {censored} he's listed, though personally if I were looking for ideal metal tones and ideal jazz tones I probably wouldn't be looking at the same amp.

Have you actually effectively used the tone controls on your guitar to shape your sound? Have you actually played these amps loudly at volume instead of in a store? {censored}, I haven't played everything you listed and I'm a gear nut who lives outside of NY, I'm surprised you have such great access.

For me, doing what you're doing, I'd want a strat into a JMP with a Maxon or similar boost and fuzz pedal. Either that or a Fender Twin Reverb or Deluxe for the jazz stuff and something else for high gain. Peters stuff may be worth checking out as well. Drive up to Jersey in August.

• Members
If you've extensively tried the SE, XTC, roadking, stilletto, mark IV, JVM, Herbert, SLO, etc. and STILL can't find tone you like, then the problem isn't the amp. Maybe you should just be happy with what you have and practice more
:o
Maybe it's your guitar, the pickups, your playing, your lack of ability to dial in, who knows. But those amps basically cover the spectrum of tone and voicings from low mids to high, loose, tight, etc.

im thinking it's this.

also

clips or you're warplanegrey :poke::cop:

• Members

Cornford, Peters, H&K, VHT, Framus, Krank, Riviera, Reinhardt, Bad Cat, Mako, Soldano, Genz Benz, Meteoro, Engl, Orange, Egnater, Laney

I've not heard you say you've played any of these. get to work.

• Members

Go with a 2 amp setup. Try a DRRI for cleans (or a Hiwatt if you're looking for british cleans), then set about looking for an amp that gives you the dirt sound you like.

Then find yourself an amp that gives you the distortion you're after. For br00talz there's loads of stuff, from Mesa, Peavey, Diezel etc.

I'd recommend looking at a Splawn.

If you want more classic sounding/lower gain drive, then old-school marshalls are worth a look (JCM800 and earlier)

Stoner type sound or a Sabbath type sound then Laney or an Orange Thunderverb are solid options.

I don't mind amps being one trick ponies as long as I like that one trick.

In fact I'm certain that there is no one amp that can get me all the sounds I want, as the sounds I want require 6V6's, 6L6's, EL84's and EL34's, and a variety of speakers. No amp has all of those.

• Members

Lots of good suggestions here.

1) It's hard to face up to maybe not being as good as you think.

2) Stop "chasing tone". Keep your eyes open sure, but concentrate on your playing. It's expensive in more ways than one to find thatperfect amp. IOt keeps you literally away from your guitar, and figuratively too...you lose focus on what's REALLY important.

3) Those amps you tried are EXCELLENT amps. Youshould consider that at least one of them was probably very suitable fo0r you and you missed it.

4) Consider a clean single channel amp (old Fender) and pedals or preamp. I think you can really dial in your own personal tone alot better than searching for just the right amp.

I know whatyou mean about amp searching...I have been looking for a back-up/replacement for my old Twin/Tonelab SE setup. I play in several bands and want to limit the wear and tear and risk of amp failure (it's very old). VHT, H&K, Mesa among others. All nice amps....but not as versatile or convenient as what I was used to.

Believe it or not...I just picked up a Crate Stealth head that is as close to what I am looking for as I have had yet, especially in price! You might be surprised where YOUR amp might show itself.

• Members

And hold the {censored}ing phone... how are you out there contemplating XTCs, Road Kings and SEs, let alone a two amp setup... and you're still in high school? Forgive me for being presumptuous, but spend your own money... not mommy and daddy's. You'll appreciate what you're playing a lot more when it's been funded by your own hard-earned money. If you've somehow amassed enough of a pile of cash to consider Bogners, Engls and beyond, then more power to you I suppose. When I was in high school I was psyched as hell to buy my first 1x12 combo.

There are some mighty fine...and expensive 1x12 combos.

• Members

okay for all the people saying its probably user error, its not

i just dont like most high gain channel switchers, none of them have done it for me :idk:

like i said before thats why i think im going to get a two amp setup. sure i like the tones of the bogners, roadkings, and engls etc. i just dont like ALL of the tones in the amp, so whats the point in me buying an amp that i dont love when i could buy two amps that i do love

HIGH GAIN CHANNEL SWITCHERS ARENT FOR EVERYONE!!!! so stop saying that this is all user error.

and yes i will be spending my money on this, not my parents. we dont have that kind of money.

to the people saying stuff about practicing and taking lessons, i do both. ive been told by a guy who plays with dennis chambers on a regular basis that me and a couple of my friends really have the potential to "make it"

the reason im doing this research now is because im at the point where i dont have any bills to pay, so i may as well try and buy my gear when i dont have anything else i would spend money on. and im looking at the high end stuff because i dont understand the point in making incremental upgrades when all you end up doing is losing money.

btw, the two amp set up i would get is less than the cost of one of the halfstacks id mentioned before so it just makes sense all around

i dont know why everyone thinks that the amps i mentioned should satisfy everyone.

• Members

You're coming across pompous which is a surefire way to identify incompetence. Sorry, that's just a fact.

The truth is, for ideal jazz sounds and ideal high gain, you should have been looking at separate amps from the beginning.

To sound like you, who knows what would work best though?

For me, I'd be quite happy with something like a JMP to do both. Some people think the idea of using their tone knob to increase the warmth in their sound is crazy talk and don't like to switch from their bridge pickup.

• Members

yes, no, yes

i dont think id like the riveras from what ive heard, but now that you mention it, ill keep an eye out for one

I played a Rivera Rake Reverb with matching 2-12 cab the other day. IMO, it's the closest to getting the Fender cleans and Marshall high gain all in one. Great amp but needs volume to get the high gain tones. You can do some tricks with the effects loop for the volume, though.

I had a Suhr OD-100 SE+ for a couple of days and that was the best cleans on a channel switcher I have heard but the high gain sucked IMO.

You should give Riveras a try. I really want that one I played....I am gonna put a downpayment on it this weekend. Great tones and the 'vintage to modern' switch really makes a huge difference in tone...more than any Mesa I have played.

• Members

like the 5th person to say this..

Randall RM100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Egnater Mod50/100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truly any tone you want.especially the egnaters, each module is a dual channel, and you can call the amp lounge and talk about what youre lookin for...maybe bob would build a custom module for you..

im actually going to be getting a single channel EG5...like a super soldano without the nasally mids! and a blackface would be good for my cleans.

seems like that would cover your tones...throw a top boost in for the mid gain brit!

• Members

Believe it or not...I just picked up a Crate Stealth head that is as close to what I am looking for as I have had yet, especially in price! You might be surprised where YOUR amp might show itself.

I would love to find one of those, they usually go for pretty short $$ and sound great. I think I'm gonna check CL now...

Archived