Greenback Question??

Emerica167852

• Members

how is it that a greenback loaded cabnet(4x12 at 100), can be used with a 100 watt tube head. or how a greenback speaker at 25watts is used in a 2X12 50watt combo

what im saying is how come greenback speakers can be used in tube amps that are rated at the same wattage as the speaker

• Members
example:

the marshall vintage modern half stack has a 100watt head and a 100watt greenback loaded 412

how is this possible, wouldnt it overload the speaker with the tube head

Greenbacks are 25W speakers.A cabs wattage rating is comprised of the total wattage of each speaker, so 4x12 25W Greenbacks=100WI'm pretty sure that's how it works.

• Members

I don't know about ALL manufacturers, but when the Legacy came out, the matching cab was loaded with Greenbacks. After a year or so, they switched to V30s.

Why?

Because although they sounded killer, people were blowing their Greenbacks, and Carvin's customers were getting pissed.

So, yes. You have to be careful when you're running a 100 watt tube amp into a 100 watt cabinet, because it's not hard for a 100 watt tube amp to put out 150 watts.

• Members

I don't know about ALL manufacturers, but when the Legacy came out, the matching cab was loaded with Greenbacks. After a year or so, they switched to V30s.

Why?

Because although they sounded killer, people were blowing their Greenbacks, and Carvin's customers were getting pissed.

So, yes. You have to be careful when you're running a 100 watt tube amp into a 100 watt cabinet, because it's not hard for a 100 watt tube amp to put out 150 watts.

Really? 150 watts? What accounts for that? The inexact nature of the amount of power output by valves or what?

• Members

Why?

Wow, those fools must have been CRANKING it for them to blow. On my cab, it states if you use a 100W head, they recommend using a Marshall Power Brake. So at least Marshall gives you a warning that you could screw it up.

• Members

Chances of a 100 watt amp being turned up to 10 for any period of time are pretty slim? You'll probably shatter your eardrums at the same time you blow the speakers?
:idk:

problem is, you dont know where on the master you are running at 100 or greater, might be at 6, then just power tube saturation occuring after that point. I dont see a problem with it though, nothing wrong with running on the edge, you pop a speaker, big frickin deal, buy another one, you're not gonna do it weekly.

• Members

Actually, Peavey mismatches their stuff. I belive the 5150III is rated at 120, yet the cabinet is 80W. Correct me if I am wrong on this, but the EVH speakers are rated at 20W, not 25, and I am pretty sure the head is 120.

Peavey doesn't make the 5150III. It's rated at 100 watts. The EVH speakers in the cabinet, though some will argue, are actually 25 watt Greenbacks, not 20 watts. They were designed to sound like the 20 watt reissues, but with a 25 watt power rating. The original 5150 and 5150II are 120 watts, but the 5150 cabs are 300 watts...

• Members

Really? 150 watts? What accounts for that? The inexact nature of the amount of power output by valves or what?

nah man. the amp wattage is typically RMS, which basically means "clean wattage". When you add gainz to make your br00talz tonez, you're actually dumping current into the circuit, thus overloading it, thus giving you br00talz gheinz. So in other words, a cranked, distorting amp, will put out more current than the RMS.

• Members

Peavey doesn't make the 5150III. It's rated at 100 watts. The EVH speakers in the cabinet, though some will argue, are actually 25 watt Greenbacks, not 20 watts. They were designed to sound like the 20 watt reissues, but with a 25 watt power rating. The original 5150 and 5150II are 120 watts, but the 5150 cabs are 300 watts...

Ok, you are right. I was looking on the celestion site at the G12EVH and they have it listed at 20W. Based on your comments, I went to the EVH site and they show the cab at 100W, so I don't get it. Why does the celestion site differ?

• Members

Most speakers are sorta conservatively rated. As long as you feed them a relatively clean signal they can hold up to higher power levels.

Speakers are not designed to reproduce cone distortion from a crappy

signal such as a cranked amp or too much bass. Thats when speakers are

most likely to open a voice-coil (although cranked amps and speaker

distortion can be a very pleasing effect) speakers run under these

conditions are most likely to fail sooner than later.

Like someone above already pointed out the wattage rating of the voicecoil

such as greenback/25W....four of these are summed to make a power

handling capability of 100 or more watts. One or two greenbacks

can actually hold up pretty good.

Archived