I Pitty the Fool who Doesn't try a Cobra.

Chrisjd

• Members

If i was in a band i would own another i love the tone. I traded my Dorado for one knowing that it wasn't going to work for my living conditions needless to say i couldn't get the volume to sound good. I wish they sounded good at lower volumes like Engls..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played a Cobra yesterday through its matching cab. It has a very good sounding low end. It is also very presency, but not really high presence, it was a less grating sort, a lower frequency than usual? Well I wasn't digging the voicing of the midrange, it was very low. All in all not the amp for me... I'd probably prefer the Dragon...

• Members
I played a Cobra yesterday through its matching cab. It has a very good sounding low end. It is also very presency, but not really high presence, it was a less grating sort, a lower frequency than usual? Well I wasn't digging the voicing of the midrange, it was very low. All in all not the amp for me... I'd probably prefer the Dragon...

the dragon is a lot darker :thu:

• Members

Just curious though... can the Dragon do some of that proper in your face cutting Marshall style crunch?

face cutting, definitely yes... but marshall style crunch? I don't think so

some claim that it can, but my modded dragon lead channel sounds as hard as the stock cobra

too punchy for marshall tones

I'm still studying the possibility of developing some kind of mod for that

it probably would need some mods or switching in the gain stages and tonestack to smooth and thin things a bit

would probably be easier to do some kind of soldano mod, cause these amps are 95% soldano based

• Members
I'd love to hear a volume battle between the Cobra and a SD80. Buddas are some of the loudest amps I've ever heard.

Hell, toss a Rocca Custom 80 in the mix as well.
:love:

I have a feeling the Rocca volume wise would bury most amps in the same class, an HG100 is the loudest thing I have played in the 100 watt fight club :eek:

• Members

Just curious though... can the Dragon do some of that proper in your face cutting Marshall style crunch?

It can to an extent. theres nothing thats going to sound just like a marshall except a marshall. but i would classify the dragon as a type of marshallish kind of sound IMO

• Members

i dunno, the mark series amps are friggin friggin FRIGGIN loud! my splawn was hands down louder than my dragon/cobra, and the mark IV was far louder than the splawn. :poke:

I've given the Mark IV a spin, and it's loud, but I had an attenuator on the Rocca, and at 4, it was silly loud.

• Members

i dunno, the mark series amps are friggin friggin FRIGGIN loud! my splawn was hands down louder than my dragon/cobra, and the mark IV was far louder than the splawn. :poke:

All amps with a GEQ like the MK III, MK IV and VHT UL have been the loudest amps I've ever played...and that is for obvious reasons. So yeah I'd have to agree with this.

Then again, 5150 is a mutha {censored}in' loud as {censored} amp as well.

Archived