TELL ME WHY

smaltonian

• Members

Very Pretty. The recording is nicely done. I like the sparse feel of some of the phrasing, like the openess after "even though" in the second verse. And I like the lines "I try to sing a different song. It doesn't last too long." Those work really well in the tune to me.

The repeat of "Won't you tell me why" at the end of the chorus sounds nice. Its nicely done. A strong musical moment.

I wish the 2 - 4 snare hits would have been in the first chorus, too, at least after the "different song/too long" lines. Feels like a missed opportunity to more fully engage the listener or something.

Lyrically, I just can't get into the content. Not my cup of tea. But I'm sure there is an audience for it. I know there is.

Overall, I like it.

• Members

Hmmm,

Production is nice and all (Although the base drum sounded a bit weak, but probably that's my headset) and you're a good vocalist, but the music just doesn't reach me. Goes in my category of 'yet another love ballad with strings and cliche lyrics' I mean, how many times has the line 'tell me why' been used as a carrying line in a love song. How about trying to see things from a new angle, draw some new pictures. Although I know it is hard to be original when it comes to love songs.

Or maybe this song was ironically meant, and I just didn't get it......

• Members

I'm with Baldrick. I always avoid critiquing what are obviously love songs... because they are too sentimental for me and seem all the same - i will say the same thing on all of them; it's too out there. It just ends up sounding corny. Maybe try being a little less... obvious? I don't know how to say what I want to say.

It was probably what Baldrick said anyway.

• Members

I personally like the song a lot. Yes, it's hard to be original when it comes to loves especially but I feel you expressed your sentiment effectively while the music continues to support those feelings. Keep up the good work!

• Members

First, I really like the arrangement and playing, overall. I love the fiddle and Dobro guitar and the singing is very nicely done.

The build-up is somewhat formulaic but, well, that's what commercial country is about. I mean, there's no point in being different just for its own sake. With regard to engineering/mixing/production -- it's a little distant. Sounds like there's a lot of work in this already, so I think, if I was looking to spunk things up that I'd seriously consider sending it out to a good mastering engineer. (ie, not some competitve loudness bozo who's going to squash it to death.) While I subscribe to the aphorism that the best place to fix a mix is in the mix, careful, sensitive mastering [a rarity these days, seemingly] can go a surprisingly long way toward bringing something like this track some more immediacy and impact.

And, finally, the song itself. There's not a lot of there, there. I think, overall, it works in the context of the performances -- but I wanted to get more story and emotion out of it -- I wanted to feel this guy's ambivalence and unsettledness... not just have him tell me about it.

Lots of nice things going on with this song but the lack of lyrical impact (as well as lack of production impact) holds it back somewhat.

• Members

Well ultimately it all comes down to the song..........who are you trying to reach???? And what are you trying to say? And can you actually reach YOUR audience???? Or does your song & you even have an audience????

BTW it has NOT been mastered yet as I am waiting for 3 more tunes to get finished to do at one time on one disk....CAN"T WAIT

Steve Altonian

http://www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Taken for what it is, I really like it. You hit the contemporary country thing on the head. The verse is lacking for me, though. In my limited exp. with New Country, it seems like the verse tends to tell a very specific story, and the chorus gets to a universal truth. Your chorus is really strong in this regard, and I love the melody. The verse is really bland and generic. I'm thinking of stuff like "Unanswered Prayers" or "The Chicks Dig It" here. Also, the melody is really sparse in the verse, and the mind wanders in between lines.

The whole thing is a little formulaic, but so was Einstein. Go with it.

• Members

I always associate the title "Tell Me Why" with the Lennon/McCartney tune.

I once read where there are over 300 "I Love You" titled songs copyrighted.

I'm afraid if the day ever came where using a previous title was a copyright infringement, we'd all be labeling our songs by our last name and a number, like "Schick #33".

John

Archived