Flight cases, what's the advantage with 'live in'?

Cyber_Chyld

• Members

Scored about four months of touring session work this week, which almost certainly means I'm going to have to get flight cases for my head and 4X12's.

Looking around, I was wondering if anyone has any views on whether the live in type cases (where the amp/cab stays in the case and you just remove the covers) has any major benefits over conventional cases?

The only benefits I can see are reduced storage space for empty cases (just the lids) and that the live in cases could provide additional 'on-stage' protection.

Other than that err......enlighten me!

• Members

For 4x12 cabs there is a major difference, I learned touring a few years ago.

I had two anvil cases that the tops came off, while the cab sat on the base of the case.

This was a complete hassle, as I would have to find a place to store 2 cases, not counting my gear, and no matter what venues I played I was always stuck for room.

Those tops are not light, and they take up the same footprint a cab does, so with 2 cabs, you basically are having 4 cabs on stage.

Now with a smaller rig like a combo, you can sit the amp ontop of the case after you take it out.

Live ins.

I take the face off, and the little hatch on the back opens and I plug the cabs in. The only thing I have to store is the face, and that usually will lay behind the cab.

BIG difference.

I would suggest taking live ins, and make your life alot easier..

• Members

I had two anvil cases that the tops came off, while the cab sat on the base of the case.

This was a complete hassle, as I would have to find a place to store 2 cases, not counting my gear, and no matter what venues I played I was always stuck for room.

Those tops are not light, and they take up the same footprint a cab does, so with 2 cabs, you basically are having 4 cabs on stage.

Now with a smaller rig like a combo, you can sit the amp ontop of the case after you take it out.

Live ins.

I take the face off, and the little hatch on the back opens and I plug the cabs in. The only thing I have to store is the face, and that usually will lay behind the cab.

BIG difference.

I would suggest taking live ins, and make your life alot easier..

Saved me some of that typing stuff

• Members

Go for the live-ins. They are generally a little more expensive but like others have said well worth the convenience if you're going to be on the road for 4 months. You could probably go with the lift off case for your head, but the cab(s) should get some nice live-ins!

• Members

wow.. I never had this problem, my top is about 20" deep so I normally just move the cab a little closer to the front and put the top behind the cab, this always worked even on small stages.

• Members

wow.. I never had this problem, my top is about 20" deep so I normally just move the cab a little closer to the front and put the top behind the cab, this always worked even on small stages.

I had that problem about 90% of the shows I did. I can understand that you didn't have a problem, but the fact is you are doubling your footprint. Would you rather have 20inches of space behind your rig or 2 inches?

I'm sure its not that bad for some, but there are other cons that I noticed with mine, You might not have noticed this with yours, but I had a choice to go with standard live ins, or top offs, I chose what would be easier.

-It takes two people to take the lid off.

-When dropping it back on, there is the aspect of banging the cab, both my mesas had dings on the top from trying to throw the tops on.

-If you opening for a band that back lines, as in big shows, then you don't have that room.

-Its easier to roll a live in off the stage and put the face on, rather than put all your gear back together in front of the crowd.

Some people might like them, but fact is for 4x12s, you dont see em much anymore compared to live ins.

As for the sound difference, there is some more bass reflex.

One must work the amps EQ to compensate, that is a con for the live ins.

But the absolute ease of being able to roll it up, and take the face off and go is the reason why so see live ins on the road predominately.

Ive found that my live ins actaully help with some cabs to give them some bass.

While recording I take them out of their cases, hence the name, road case, but live I have two mic's on my rig, so I don't notice the difference...

To each their own, as long as they protect your gear, its a postive thing.:thu:

• Members

So does it have the same effect as stuffing a cab?

Just deadening the resonance?
:confused:

Kind of. Just makes the cab sound dead. I suppose you gotta take the good with the bad, but if I buy them again it will be where the top comes off. You could always just roll them with the case bottom and leave the cases in whatever you brought them to the show in.

• Members

Sweet gig, anyone we'd know? And yeh, post gear pics!

Haha! Yeah, I'm pretty chuffed myself! I'm going to be touring with The Circus of Horrors http://www.circusofhorrors.co.uk/.

It's a theaterical/circus type show featuring bizarre performers and Rock 'n' Roll! :thu:

I was really pleased with landing this one. Two of my bandmates have both worked with The Circus, and so when they were looking for a new guitarist I got the job straight up without even needing to audition :thu:

What's my rig? Well, amp wise I use a Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary head, along with a 1960A and a 1960B cab. For the circus I'll almost certainly run them stacked, thus:

s640x480

I reckon for this job, as it's going to be really rock oriented I'm going to take my two Les Pauls with me. This one:

n886930596_3074251_3616.jpg

Which is a '92 Les Paul Standard

and also this one:

n630306243_776592_1629.jpg

Which is a '97 (I think) Les Paul Standard DC. I've changed the bridge pickup for a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Other than that I have a basic pedalboard:

s640x480

It's the one at the bottom of the picture. There's the channel switcher for the Marshall, An Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger, Boss GE-7 Graphic, Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Yamaha DDS-20M Delay, An Ibanez TM5 Thrashmetal (don't ask! :cop:) A Korg DT-10 Tuner and Dunlop DC Brick.

I keep thinking about going for a modern multi-effect system, but to acheive what I can with my pedals, I'd have to spend a lot of money. Money I don't have! :facepalm:

• Members

Bloody hell, just been looking around at the cost of flight cases :eek:

It's pretty difficult to justify buying a flight case that costs as much, if not more than the speaker cabinet it's protecting :cop:

The way I'm thinking right now I might get a flight case for the amp head, ad then make some MDF 'hoods' for the cabinets. There's no way I'm spending over

• Members

Yeah cases are a {censored}ty expense. They do protect your gear, but they are expensive and heavy. But they are essential for touring. Otherwise your gear just gets thrashed.

Trailers don't have the same suspension as cars. And you are moving your stuff a lot. But there is nothing exciting about them at all.

If you don't care about cosmetics, you can probably rig up something like a hood to cover the grill cloth and protect the speakers. Then just plan on a re-tolex after the tour, or leave it with all its character.

I would get a case for the head. Even if it is a 1/4" trunk based one. Or for like $150 you can get a Gator hard-shell bag. It is actually wood, just covered in heavy duty cloth instead of ABS and aluminum corners. But if you shop around (audiopile.net, Ebay) you can do a lift-off or something that will give enough protection.

Check this out:

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/amc.aspx

I have been thinking about picking up those someday.

• Members

Yea Im with the above poster.

Get a good case for the head, as thats the important part.

Just get some marshall or other softcovers for the cab..

Besides, If your marshall cabs arent beat up a little, then they look weird...

Well, I already have softcovers for the cabs and the head. I think I definately need some kind of hard case for the head, but I'll need a bit more protection than the slip on covers can give for the cabs too.

It's all going to be loaded into an artic. trailer at the end of the night, along with all the staging, LX rig etc.

I think I'm going to see how easy it is to knock up some 'hard covers', for the cabs and take it from there. I just can't justify spending that kind of money though. I'd effectively be touring for two weeks just to buy the cases! :facepalm:

• Members

Well, I already have softcovers for the cabs and the head. I think I definately need some kind of hard case for the head, but I'll need a bit more protection than the slip on covers can give for the cabs too.

It's all going to be loaded into an artic. trailer at the end of the night, along with all the staging, LX rig etc.

I think I'm going to see how easy it is to knock up some 'hard covers', for the cabs and take it from there. I just can't justify spending that kind of money though. I'd effectively be touring for two weeks just to buy the cases!
:facepalm:

most important is gettin a good head case. honestly the cabs can handle a bit of damage but a head cant. the live in ata style cases are very handy and really arent a ton of cash. you can try to check out used ones on cl or ebay or check out ny case for cheapones, but the head cases are really important if ur gonna be on the road. I dont think id trust a soft head cover to hold up in a trailer on the road, personally i would just invest in the insurance of a ata case.

• Members

personally i think set up is quicker/easier with a live in case, especially on shows where you backline your gear and other bands are playing while your stuff is onstage...sorry but i'm not one to trust other bands not to wreck my gear while they're up there playing

also the storage thing can be a factor when it comes to smaller venues/stages, the more compact i can keep my stuff the better

Archived