amp gurus: advantage of 16 ohm speaker over 8ohm?

surfcat

• Members

I have a Marshall 1x12 combo with a 16ohm speaker that I'm replacing. My other amp has an 8ohm speaker. The Marshall has a selectable ohm switch while the other amp doesn't. Should I stick with a 16ohm or get an 8ohm in case I want to try it in my other amp? In other words, any reason running the speaker at 16ohms in the Marshall is better?

• Members
I was just wondering if it affects the sound-

i doubt it.
it's just the resistance it's giving to the voltage running thru it,which should give the same effect however you have it hooked up to run properly.
i guess there is a way to hook a 16 ohm up with an 8 ohm in series? i think?- to make them both run at 8 ohms but im drunk right now and dont want to think about it :lol:

• Members

the 16 ohm thing is really just tradition, Marshall and other british amp companys wired their early stuff at 16 ohm's as a way of protecting the output tranny. Probably due to sloppy tolerences on parts back then.

I think Vox is the only co' still adhering to the 16 ohm thing though.

• Members

are you talking about doing a mismatch?? like running a 16ohm cab out of your output transformer's 4 or 8 ohm tap? If that's the case the result will be a reduction in power which will cause a reduction of headroom and a little bit of the volume as well...

now if you are talking about using a 8/16 ohm using the correct impedance on your amp (no mismatch) there is no difference.

• Members

are you talking about doing a mismatch?? like running a 16ohm cab out of your output transformer's 4 or 8 ohm tap? If that's the case the result will be a reduction in power which will cause a reduction of headroom and a little bit of the volume as well...

now if you are talking about using a 8/16 ohm using the correct impedance on your amp (no mismatch) there is no difference.

No, the Marshall has a selector switch so select impendence so I'm sure either will work.

Thanks for the replies, seems like 8ohm might be the best choice then.

• Members

I think the key question here should be are the speakers otherwise identical, except for their impedance of course. Most likely they are not. This will have much more effect than the impedance will.

As for the impedance, any tube amp with an impedance selector switch (or jack) will still reflect the load of 8 ohms or 16 ohms (or whatever options there are) to the OT primary as the same, proper plate-loading impedance, which is all that counts. That

• Members

Okay, cool, no real difference. One last thing though-what if I wanted to add another speaker cab plus that speaker? Say if it's a 2x12 Marshall cab or maybe a 1x12, in addition to the amp's speaker. Would I be better off buying a 16 or 8 ohm speaker for the amp? Say if it's a 16 ohm cab would the speaker in the amp need to be 16ohm also? Or if I went with an 8ohm, what kind of cab would I need-8 or 16?

• Members

For a 1x12, it will not matter. In a 4x12 situation, that's where it matters. For example, you cannot run the 8 ohms in parallel. Most amps do not have a 2 ohm output, but they have a 4 ohm, so you have more wiring options with a 16 ohm speaker than an 8. Also, if you run the standard series/parallel option, you will have 2 cabs at 8 ohms if you run a full stack, but it will be 4 ohms with the 8 ohm speakers.

• Members

There are slight differences in tone when using either the 8 or 16ohm setting on a tube amp. The differences are slight and like someone mentioned before it isn't really anything that is going to make or brake your tone.

With Marshall amps I would say 16ohms is the way to go. It seems the Marshalls sound best that way from what I've heard. However I have no personal experience with Marshalls because I never got into them.

With the high gain amps I have owned I found that I prefer 8ohms. In my experiences 8ohm settings on my Cobra and other amps seemed to be a bit clearer and forward in the mids. This is very slight though.

Archived