O/T: I caved in..... :facepalm:

petejt

• Members

stonn2.gif

and took the leap........ smilie_bungee1.gif

yeah, after avoiding any new stuff about Metallica for over a year, I went and bought their new album. :facepalm:

I've given it a full listen, without any judgement. This is the very first time I've heard something new from the band since 2006, as I haven't visited their bull{censored} MissionMetallica site or the YouTube videos.

The first thought that came into my head was- BRIGHT.

The guitar tone is quite bright. Lots of definition, which is good. None of that horrid burpy clouded blurry smudgey tone.

And it didn't sound so layered. Although I love complex guitar tones, it's a shame when a band can't pull it off when performing live. At least this tone is realistic.

But yet, I was disappointed there was none of that gripping razor-sharp aggressive crunch in the tone. The lack of said crunch made the tone, and the songs a bit bland.

I was impressed though that the album didn't sound retro. I hate retro more than any musical style or fashion in the world. I bloody hate it when idiotic beings suggest that a new product has to be made of what was made before it. It sounds brand new, even though it thrashes as hard & fast as Metallica's albums from the mid-1980s. It's definitely NOT a Master of Puppets: II thank goodness.

This album has intricately fast rhythms, ripping solos (although some lack character), pounding (but not always breathtaking) drumbeats, pumping bass, and a crackling vocal. Yes James Hetfield's voice crackles like he sung through a paper cone mic'ed up to a cranked Supro combo practice amp.

I find that this album roars a bit better when you crank the volume bit (eg. Suicide & Redemption), but yet the speakers start distorting (in a bad way) on some other songs (bad mixing I guess).

At first glance, some tracks are a bit catchy, but yet, at the moment none of the album has sunk in yet. It hasn't left much of an impression on me. My arse definitely isn't kicked at all. I don't feel knocked out.

I think this will be one of those albums that grows on you over time, rather than lunge in, grasp your neck then hurl you over the mountain tops.

I guess it just takes time........

• Members

I bought it but hadn't had a chance to listen to it yet. It'll have to wait until next weekend, but I liked what I heard of a couple songs posted before enough to think it was worth taking a chance on even though I hadn't been into their '90s or beyond stuff.

You'll probably like it then.

The only thing I really dislike about it, is the bad mastering job. Apart from one song, it makes your speakers distort in a bad way- not a good thing because it ruins the crunch in the guitar tone (the crunch gets masked by your speakers distorting).

• Members
You're weak!!!!

Seriously though, where can I DL this album. I want to hear it but I don't want to buy it. Limewire only had "The Day that Never Comes" and I already know that song sucks.

lol

nah I had planned to buy this album before Metallica even thought to write it. It's just WHEN I was going to buy it was my weakness.

It might be available on eMule?

I gotta say though that the mastering stinks :facepalm: . 9 of the 10 songs makes the speakers distorts- it ruins the crunch on the guitar tones. The dynamics are badly affected.

Metallica should re-master it then provide a free download to everyone that purchased the album.

• Members

lol

nah I had planned to buy this album before Metallica even thought to write it. It's just WHEN I was going to buy it was my weakness.

It might be available on eMule?

I gotta say though that the mastering stinks
:facepalm:
. 9 of the 10 songs makes the speakers distorts- it ruins the crunch on the guitar tones. The dynamics are badly affected.

Metallica should re-master it then provide a free download to everyone that purchased the album.

I didn't expect that {censored} from Rick Ruben. That just isn't right. I've heard samples and I'll admit, it sounds like it has its moments but they soon ruin it by throwing some crap in there that doesn't sound like it fits. For me anyway.

• Members
I didn't expect that {censored} from Rick Ruben. That just isn't right. I've heard samples and I'll admit, it sounds like it has its moments but they soon ruin it by throwing some crap in there that doesn't sound like it fits. For me anyway.

Neither did I.

Right now some cheesey-arse corny dated crap is playing, and yet, it sounds so much more BIGGER than what Metallica just released. And it has that magic feel to it, where you feel surrounded by a big swirling cloud that raises you up to the stars..........

hippy dreamy {censored}? Ja.........but you see what I mean? even some corny radio crap has more dynamics and a bigger feeling that can make you feel that way, than the 10 tracks I scrutinised. I don't think it's a fault in the original mix, just the final mastering which squashed it away & thus made it bland, and why I don't feel so 'gripped' or curious about it.

And if you're wondering what I was comparing to Death Magnetic, try not to get a kink in your neck when your palm slaps your forehead...

2i0xl43.jpg

• Members
You'll probably like it then.

The only thing I really dislike about it, is the bad mastering job. Apart from one song, it makes your speakers distort in a bad way- not a good thing because it ruins the crunch in the guitar tone (the crunch gets masked by your speakers distorting).

I think I'll dig it, but I'm one of those people who's also not into that type of mastering job. The Vapor Trails album by Rush had a similar issue which has caused it to not get as much play as it otherwise would. :(

• Members

There are a couple of transitions like that in some songs unfortunately :-/

• Members

There are a couple of transitions like that in some songs unfortunately :-/

which ones do you reckon that have that?

For me, I reckon Cyanide has an odd transition @ 5:19. Cool riffs, then sounds too "happy"- wrecks the vibe.

And with the chorus- the 'Jewish-like' riff where James sings "Cyanide" is cool, but then it gets ruined by the poppy riff where he sings "forevermore'.

• Members

Actually it has now started to slightly sink in. This arvo as I was walking back from the greengrocer I was thinking of new riffs in my head, and it ended up becoming The Day that Never Comes.

I just wish they didn't botch the mastering.

• Members

Seriously though, where can I DL this album. I want to hear it but I don't want to buy it. Limewire only had "The Day that Never Comes" and I already know that song sucks.

Really??? You cant just spend $10 to buy the thing? What a sorry state music is in.

And to the OP, It is that big of a deal to cave in and spend $10 on a cd?

• Members
Try to find a copy of the promo CD - it is mastered noticeably cooler than the retail.

Example: I've attached the waveforms of "My Apocalypse". Upper is the promo CD, lower the retail.

Why on Earth do they have different versions of the album? Can't they just master the album ONCE and release that as it is?

Why is there a "promo" version in the first place?

And yes I can see in your waveform graphs at how the promo CD compares to the retail CD. The difference is shocking. The retail version might as well be atmospheric static on a 2-way UHF radio by the looks of the waveform :facepalm:

• Members

Really??? You cant just spend $10 to buy the thing? What a sorry state music is in.

Glad you posted this...feck my copy was $8.82+tax ... didn't even cost me $10. It's $10..I'll spend more than that in the stupid snack machine at work in a week...it's $10 freakin' dollars.

• Members

We're talking about Metallica here buddy. If you blindly purchase any cd of theirs you are setting yourself up.

• Members

We're talking about Metallica here buddy. If you blindly purchase any cd of theirs you are setting yourself up.

There's maybe one CD in their catalog that I regret purchasing...Reload..only has a couple of songs I even care for..I think I paid $7.50 for it used tho'

Archived