O/T: I caved in..... :facepalm:

petejt

• Members

Why on Earth do they have different versions of the album? Can't they just master the album ONCE and release that as it is?

Why is there a "promo" version in the first place?

The "promo" version is the final mixed version that goes out to radio stations etc to generate buzz etc prior to release.

Usually there's no difference between the promo and the retail (except for the artwork and liner notes - the promo doesn't bother with all the blurb/credits). There simply isn't time to make any significant last-minute changes to the mix.

EXCEPT

..that it is always possible to limit/clip the mastered mix a little bit more at the pressing plant. The master is these days delivered electronically and instructions can be given to the plant to boost the levels at the expense of clipping.

Scrolling through the promo waveforms, there isn't a lot of clipping. The master has been squashed a hell of a lot, but with a limiter.

But the retail has been boosted an extra 2dB or so, and there was no headroom at all on the master - therefore, clipping everywhere. I have no idea why this happened; the promo master is still bloody loud and the idea that anyone (even Lars :lol:) would demand it get cranked even more boggles the mind.

I suspect that the vinyl version is taken from the same master as the promo, because those with both CD and vinyl versions have said the latter is noticeably better.

• Members

Thanks for the info.

..that it is always possible to limit/clip the mastered mix a little bit more at the pressing plant. The master is these days delivered electronically and instructions can be given to the plant to boost the levels at the expense of clipping.

If that's the case, whoever instructed to boost the levels......... hang1.gif

• Members

Thanks for the info.

If that's the case, whoever instructed to boost the levels.........
hang1.gif

lol @ icon.

Agree with you 100%. I wonder if it was a cock-up that they don't want to admit (since then they'd have to dish out free replacements...)

• Members
Yesterday I was at a party where I met someone who has bought the new Metallica album. He says it's squashed like hell and it clips.

There's discussion about it on a Metallica board.

And here's the wav:

metallica2.jpg

For example, here's a wav of Master of Puppets:

metallica1.jpg

Need I say more? Okay, here's a response from the mastering engineer:

RE: Death Magnetic mastering job
mailed-by sterling-sound.com

hide details 10:34 AM

Thanks for writing.

I

• Members

that album sucks...sounds just as bad as StAnger.

I really just don't want it to.... I am of the Metallica fans that love the first few albums... but anything from the black ablum on have been dissapointments.

... and St Anger was the FIRST AND ONLY album that I bought, listened to once, and THREW AWAY in the same day. What a piece of crap that thing was.

I soooo want this disc to be good... but I fear that there is no way I will buy it before hearing it... what is that saying.... "fool me once"........

Archived