Misha (Bulb) from Periphery gets an Axe-FX Ultra

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Just figured I'd make a thread for this, since I don't think he posts here and I want you guys to hear it. He posted up his first test with it. It sounds really, really good, in my opinion. Check it out below:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=147108&content=songinfo&songID=6995021

And here's the thread where it was posted originally:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/70001-bulb-got-my-axefx-ultra-short-clip-with-it.html

• Members

Sounds great but I still think his POD clips sound way better. I still gotta go over Kage's place and hear it in person though.

Well, he's been using/tweaking those for a long time, and he just got this. I'd say give it a few months, myself.

As for the clip...well, {censored}, I guess that whole "Can it do metal" thing is pretty {censored}ed dead now.

• Members

Well, he's been using/tweaking those for a long time, and he just got this. I'd say give it a few months, myself.

As for the clip...well, {censored}, I guess that whole "Can it do metal" thing is pretty {censored}ed dead now.

Yeah, he said he barely put in any effort with this and no post processing at all. This was the first post of the thread:

"Hey guys,

So i got my axefx ultra, and i have to say its absolutely brilliant, i have barely scratched the surface of what this thing can do. Its the perfect thing for a tweaker like me. But even without tweaking it sounds awesome, because i plugged right in, dialed in a tone in about 5 minutes, and used it to record a clip with no post processing or post eq on the guitars! It just sat perfectly in the mix as it was!

I cant wait to actually sit down and work on the tones!

Anyways, here is the clip:

SoundClick artist: Bulb - Hello! I am Bulb! Enjoy the tunes!

enjoy!"

• Members

Sounds great but I still think his POD clips sound way better. I still gotta go over Kage's place and hear it in person though.

This is the exact same thing I thought when I first heard this clip. His POD clips are much much better. Maybe the digital sound of the pod is just better for his music. This almost sounds too warm.

• Members

This is the exact same thing I thought when I first heard this clip. His POD clips are much much better. Maybe the digital sound of the pod is just better for his music. This almost sounds too warm.

I'm not really following. I think it sounds great. It's more natural and warm sounding than the POD... the people playing this kind of music want that kind of sound. See Sikth for a good example... still very tight and clear, but warm and natural. Doesn't have a ton of treble or harshness to it. The funny thing is you always say how you hate EMGs, and this clip was done with passive pickups and you thought it was too warm, and Tymon's clip you were praising in the other thread was done with EMGs. You are a confusing dude. :p

• Members

I'm not really following. I think it sounds great. It's more natural and warm sounding than the POD... the people playing this kind of music want that kind of sound. See Sikth for a good example... still very tight and clear, but warm and natural. Doesn't have a ton of treble or harshness to it. The funny thing is you always say how you hate EMGs, and this clip was done with passive pickups and you thought it was too warm, and Tymon's clip you were praising in the other thread was done with EMGs. You are a confusing dude.
:p

You always seem to read in to my posts too much. For ME and MY MUSIC, I like big, warm tones. I like fat tones. I like passive pickups.

For MISHA'S MUSIC, I think that the digital, kinda harsh thing works. It's actually one of the very few kinds of music that I think actually needs that kind of sound. That's not a knock on the AFX...that's just saying that it sounds TOO much like a tube amp for this music where a digital sound seems to fit. That's a compliment for the AxeFX though...I'm saying that it sounds convincingly tube-like. Or who knows...maybe he just doesn't have it dialed in right yet.

You seem to keep forming these opinions about me, and then seem surprised when I go against them. Just to clarify though, I like passives, I like warm tones when I'm playing and making my music. That doesn't mean those tones that I like work for everyone. Ya dig?

• Members

That's {censored}ing kick ass. I don't understand why people think it's expensive, I mean spending 2k on an amp, cab, mics, and interface is probably not going to sound as good as this :love:

I really want one for a dorm rig :o Probably end up selling off all my stuff haha

• Members

That's {censored}ing kick ass. I don't understand why people think it's expensive, I mean spending 2k on an amp, cab, mics, and interface is probably not going to sound as good as this
:love:

I really want one for a dorm rig
:o
Probably end up selling off all my stuff haha

I don't understand this either. The thing sounds better and is more capable then an Eclipse when used for FX alone, and even the ultra is less expensive then an Eclipse. Toss in the completely usable amp sims and you have a winner.

Sure, the modeling stuff will get obsolete after a few years and there will be better amp sims, but it's still an awesome FX unit to run with a real amp or with other gear on it's own and since I still see people using 20 year old rack gear, I don't see that aspect getting obsolete anytime soon.

-W

• Members

That's {censored}ing kick ass. I don't understand why people think it's expensive, I mean spending 2k on an amp, cab, mics, and interface is probably not going to sound as good as this
:love:

I really want one for a dorm rig
:o
Probably end up selling off all my stuff haha

well, you could get modeling software for a lot less...

Archived