Some questions about my cab.

Fagmotron 3000

• Members

I have a Crate Stealth 50 head that I have had for years and toured with with no problems. I have always used it with a Crate 4x12 angled cab and now that I don't play out anymore, I think the cab is unnecessary. I was never really happy with the cab anyway, as it seemed pretty weak on bass, wasn't very loud, and has a really high pitched hissy noise if you are listening to it directly head on. A little off axis and it sounds pretty good.

Anyway, I was considering selling it and getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab which would be loud enough to gig with, but would actually fit in my car since I don't have a touring van anymore.

My question is about the speakers. I was thinking that I might be able to utilize the speakers from the Crate cab, and was wondering if the problems I had with the cab were due to the particle board design of it and not the speakers. I could buy one of those Avatar cabs or something similar and install the Celestions from my cab. I have never seen these Celestions except for in my cab, and I am wondering if they are just some cheapo Celestion made for Crate, or if they are an actual retail Celestion speaker. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

Note the particle board construction. The cab is heavy and has been ultra reliable, but in my experience particle board is never a good thing. LOL. I got the entire set up with amp and cab for $400 years ago though, so I really couldn't be more happy for the price.

IMG_1728_1_1.jpg

IMG_1730_1_1.jpg

IMG_1309_1_2_1-2.jpg

• Members

Yes they are cheapo's, I would just recommend grabbing an avatar something or other with some speakers of your choosing. But if you like those, you can buy them unloaded.

Me personally, and probably everyone else here, I would just get something with new speakers. Then you can sell the cab in tact. A lot easier to sell with speakers.

• Members

Dude, I'm loving your tone in "Seconds from Disaster."

Anywho, now I have to decide on open or closed back. I play mostly hard rock, but I am trying to get myself into some blues and cleans. I guess I probably can't go wrong with either cab, but I am wondering which would work better.

• Members
Dude, I'm loving your tone in "Seconds from Disaster."

Anywho, now I have to decide on open or closed back. I play mostly hard rock, but I am trying to get myself into some blues and cleans. I guess I probably can't go wrong with either cab, but I am wondering which would work better.

hate to bump up an old thread, but..

thanks man! Sorry for such a {censored}ty recording :(

The new recordings ARE DONE!!!! But we're gonna shop 'em around a bit and see if we can't get it released on a label with some good terms. Just wait it out and you'll get a decent version. And if you like that you'll love our other {censored}.

and, go closed back.

• Members
I have a Crate Stealth 50 head that I have had for years and toured with with no problems. I have always used it with a Crate 4x12 angled cab and now that I don't play out anymore, I think the cab is unnecessary. I was never really happy with the cab anyway, as it seemed pretty weak on bass, wasn't very loud, and has a really high pitched hissy noise if you are listening to it directly head on. A little off axis and it sounds pretty good.

Anyway, I was considering selling it and getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab which would be loud enough to gig with, but would actually fit in my car since I don't have a touring van anymore.

My question is about the speakers. I was thinking that I might be able to utilize the speakers from the Crate cab, and was wondering if the problems I had with the cab were due to the particle board design of it and not the speakers. I could buy one of those Avatar cabs or something similar and install the Celestions from my cab. I have never seen these Celestions except for in my cab, and I am wondering if they are just some cheapo Celestion made for Crate, or if they are an actual retail Celestion speaker. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

Note the particle board construction. The cab is heavy and has been ultra reliable, but in my experience particle board is never a good thing. LOL. I got the entire set up with amp and cab for $400 years ago though, so I really couldn't be more happy for the price.

IMG_1728_1_1.jpg
IMG_1730_1_1.jpg
IMG_1309_1_2_1-2.jpg

Are you aware that your cab is NOT particle board? I was suspicious when I saw your description since most Crate guitar cabs I've seen are not particle board. Your pics confirm that it isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived