OT: Gun guys, Kriss Super-V?

KingKabong

• Members

Are these even available on the civilian market?

The unique recoil reducing design looks to be the most helpful in full auto. You won't see as much benefit for semi-auto. Cost is going to be high and finding replacement parts are going to be expensive and difficult early on.

I'd stay away from pistol caliber carbines. There's more punch in a AR-15 in 5.56 than a .45. Also the AR-15 has very controllable recoil and better accuracy.

• Members

The unique recoil reducing design looks to be the most helpful in full auto. You won't see as much benefit for semi-auto. Cost is going to be high and finding replacement parts are going to be expensive and difficult early on.

I'd stay away from pistol caliber carbines. There's more punch in a AR-15 in 5.56 than a .45. Also the AR-15 has very controllable recoil and better accuracy.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/KRISS-CRBSO.html

They're not expensive and I don't agree on the 5.56 vs .45 issue. The compliant about 5.56s is that they don't have knock-down power.

• Members

I always assumed that a bigger hole = more punch.

I hear a lot of troops complaining that the .223 doesn't have enough stopping power.

:idk:

• Members

A 5.56 has more energy at 200 yards than a .45 has at point blank range.

5.56 has over 600 fps of energy at 200 yards. The .45 has 350-400 fps at the muzzle.

the velocity of a 5.56 is 3200 feet per second at the muzzle. The .45 is about 900 fps (generous). The knockdown power of the 5.56 is only an issue when talking about shots over 300 yards.

You'd be lucky to hit a man sized target at all with a .45 at 300 yards.

• Members
A 5.56 has more energy at 200 yards than a .45 has at point blank range.

5.56 has over 600 fps of energy at 200 yards. The .45 has 350-400 fps at the muzzle.

the velocity of a 5.56 is 3200 feet per second at the muzzle. The .45 is about 900 fps (generous). The knockdown power of the 5.56 is only an issue when talking about shots over 300 yards.

You'd be lucky to hit a man sized target at all with a .45 at 300 yards.

Yup, can't argue here. Anyway, I'm still curious about the super-v, you haven't talked me out of it yet... :) Definitely good points about range, it would be fun to have a real scoped rifle.

Did you watch that video at impactguns.com? Through a car door and through the target, that's pretty impressive!

• Members

I saw the future weapons show with the super v on it. It would be a great close combat full auto type swat weapon, but no civilians are going to be getting the full auto version. Like someone else said, get a tommy gun or m1 carbine if you want a fun little carbine. Also check out the HK UMP .45.

.45 is getting pretty expensive to shoot lately. I like 5.56 for all but +300 yard shots. In that range I'd get a 7.62 (.308) or larger.

• Members

I hear a lot of troops complaining that the .223 doesn't have enough stopping power.

:idk:

Depends on alot of factors, but I have seen the 556 put people down, right where they stand but that is really either here nor there for this thread, as I like 45 too! just sayin:)

As for the Kriss, man Ive heard about a million things about one, but I have yet to get to fondle or at least see one in person.
I like the idea though...
Cant wait to learn more..

• Members
http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kriss-sbrso-45-acp.html

Anyone fire one yet? I'm shopping around for a carbine, just in case laws change and I need to jump on one to get grandfathered in.
:)

Yes they are available to civilians and I have put about 100 rounds through one at the range. Pretty cool gun. Almost feels weak because of the lack of any real recoil due to the absorption mechanism. It's accurate and well built, but it didn't make me want one.

• Members

I haven't actually shot one yet, but I have held & tinkered with one at a Cobb Co shop. Adventure Outdoors I think?

The civi version is pretty damn long & heavier than I expected. I'd expect the recoil to be pretty much nonexistent even without that re-vectoring thing. The .45 round has a good reputation for a reason.

If you want a pistol-caliber carbine, I'd first recommend the Beretta .45 since it's the best I've tried. If I get a chance to try the Kriss, that opinion may change.

No matter what the choice of carbine you get, I'd seriously look into getting a shorter barrel (may not be legal where you live & you WILL have to get a tax stamp in most cases). It's not as much trouble as most people make it seem, but can take forever. My first class 3 transaction was a breeze but took 5 months from start to finish.

• Members

I'm not dead set on a pistol caliber at all, just looks like a fun weapon.

My interest list:

Kriss Super-V

Sig556

POF-USA 308

LWRC M6A2 (or SABR but that seems like vapor ware)

What do you intend to use it for? The Kriss is cool from a novelty aspect, but IMO they are FAR too expensive and there are better and more affordable choices for almost any application. The recoil reduction system does work, but it doesn't really pose any significant advantage in a semi-automatic gun, as it was really developed for increased stabilization of the full auto version.

• Members

They're not expensive and I don't agree on the 5.56 vs .45 issue. The compliant about 5.56s is that they don't have knock-down power.

There is no such thing as knock-down power.

Physics > Internet Myths

5.56 within a short range fragments causing immense tissue damage that even a .308 can't compare to.

That and ARs are one of the most accurate semi-auto rifles out of the box.

• Members
You're too dead set on piston operated weapons.

Save yourself some money, get a direct impingement AR and be happy.

Yeah, good point... hmm... a Bushmaster would probably be fine.

As far as what I'm going to use it for, range days exclusively. I don't hunt, I like to shoot. So it really doesn't make sense to spend $2k on a carbine for that, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a POF.... :) People don't need $4k guitar amps and yet there is HCAF.

Archived