VHT w/ EMGs yay or nay? (w/ clip)

kinggeoff

• Members

I've never really liked EMGs with the VHT UL all that much, but I had some time today and (after reading some posts about emgs vs passives) I thought I would give the EMGs a shot again. It was sounding really good to me. Nice and thick, with some bite and some saturation. I liked how things were going, so I threw a mic up to do a single track, nice n raw. It's just some random playing to show how the amp reacts to single notes and chords from an EMG.

Was using an EMG 81 with the 18v mod, in a really light Brian Moore i8 guitar.

Recorded the track with an sm57. Duplicated it in Cubase, with one panned 60 right, the other 60 left. Didnt use any boost. There was no post EQ.

Net Musicians

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/80-sm57_test3_chug.mp3

Anyone else have any experiences with VHTs and EMGs? good or bad?

Lemme know what you think.

• Members

Sounds like it would probably work decently in a mix.

By the way, by duplicating the track, and panning them oppositely, you did absolutely nothing. It's still a mono track being played through both speakers.

It sounded different to me :idk: it might just be a placebo kinda thing, but it just sounded better than trying to up the volume without clipping :) (to my ears...which are very untrained)

i know it's not double tracking, but it sounds different than just upping the volume on a singe track to me:confused::confused: either way, it's a single track, which to my ears sounds much bigger than a lot of double tracked stuff ive been hearing, so i thought i'd post how i did it

appreciate the input guys :) keep it coming

• Members

thanks for the input guys, i appreciate the comments.

i know the tone isnt for everyone, i just love how grindy and sort of bubbly the bottom end stays while the top end sizzles...i love the texture of the VHT distortion. Just has this roar that I can't get enough of :D

This was on the half power setting, so the sound is a little darker, mid shift is out so it's got a colder more scooped sound .

• Members

my experience with the Deliverance has been that it gets along really well with EMGs, for my taste at least. actually, it's the pickiest amp i've ever played...super sensitive to small differences in guitars, cables, pickups, speakers, etc. i find that the guitars it gets along with sound really really good through it, but the others sound anywhere from mediocre to just outright bad, even if they sound great through other amps.

here are a couple clips i did on the same day, one with a guitar loaded with EMGs, the other with a guitar with passive pickups:

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=2113

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=2112

the only difference in the guitar tone will be from the guitar itself, because i didn't touch the mic position or EQ or anything. i tried to make any plugins i used as similar as possible between the two.

• Members

Unearth's tone doesent sound too bad with that combo. Supposidly in the eyes of fire was recorded with UL's and their emg loaded 7's, didnt like that tone too much. Now the cobra and 5150 blended tone adam d gets for them, now were talking! VHT's seems pretty stiff and tight as it is, seems like actives would make them even more stiff and tight if that makes sense...

• Members

When I had my Hundred CLX, I remember trying my friends KH2 and when we compared tones between his and mine (I played an Ibby J-Custom with a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Paf Pro in the neck) we found that the passive pups sounded thicker and more organic.

He didn't have the 18v mod cos' back then cos hell, we didn't know about it :lol:

It's not a very fair comparison though cos' the KH2 has an alder body and my J-Custom had a mahogany back and maple top with direct mounted pups.

I still prefer the tone of passives overall but if you like the sound of actives, by all means have fun with it :thu:

• Members
my experience with the Deliverance has been that it gets along really well with EMGs, for my taste at least. actually, it's the pickiest amp i've ever played...super sensitive to small differences in guitars, cables, pickups, speakers, etc. i find that the guitars it gets along with sound really really good through it, but the others sound anywhere from mediocre to just outright bad, even if they sound great through other amps.

here are a couple clips i did on the same day, one with a guitar loaded with EMGs, the other with a guitar with passive pickups:

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=2113

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=2112

the only difference in the guitar tone will be from the guitar itself, because i didn't touch the mic position or EQ or anything. i tried to make any plugins i used as similar as possible between the two.

Dude I'm loving the second clip. I see what you mean, and I think I'm seeing what everyone is saying about the differences in how thick the tone sounds.

I'm going to do some experimenting with double tracking and full mixes and see what I can learn :D

thanks again guys!

Archived