New Mesa F-50 Head sounds like Shite

mnewb1

• Members
Also by bedroom volume, I don't need the volume so low that someone in the next room wouldn't hear it. I have a house with a finished basement where I have my gear set up. I don't think neighbors are going to be hearing it and complaining. I just want a sweet creamy tone without making my ears bleed.
:cool:

from what other poster's have said, I think the answer lies in your cabinet/speaker choices. that thing shouldn't take much to get sounding great. I'd look for a decent 4x12 or 2x12 with some decent speaks.

• Members
Also by bedroom volume, I don't need the volume so low that someone in the next room wouldn't hear it. I have a house with a finished basement where I have my gear set up. I don't think neighbors are going to be hearing it and complaining. I just want a sweet creamy tone without making my ears bleed.
:cool:

Its a gigging amp, it sounds good at gigging levels. It sounds like ass at low levels unfortunately.

Don't waste money on attenuator - try the fx-loop volume trick (its in the F-series lounge) and if you're not happy with that, sell it and get a smaller amp more suited to home use.

• Members

Its a gigging amp, it sounds good at gigging levels. It sounds like ass at low levels unfortunately.

Don't waste money on attenuator - try the fx-loop volume trick (its in the F-series lounge) and if you're not happy with that, sell it and get a smaller amp more suited to home use.

You really can't play the F-series quiet. They sound like absolute {censored} at low volumes, and they get loud FAST. I sold my F-100 because it sounded like crap at apartment levels, and 9:00 on the master was pretty much gig volume.

IMO, they sound great when they're loud, but most of my playing time is spent in my apartment, so I need amps that can do both.

• Members

I am going to take the head into the store and try some 2x12 cases. It seems that when I demoed it on a 4x12 that I was getting some pretty decent tones at reasonable volume.

If it still is {censored}e, I'll turn the whole thing in for and express 5:50 1x12

• Members

I took the head in and tried a Lonestar 2x12 cabinet. Man, what an amazing difference. Traded in the Thiele 1x12 for the Lonestar. Now I have have a nice saturated tone at a reasonable volume.

Thank You all for the help.

I'll do a NAD soon with pictures.

• Members

I took the head in and tried a Lonestar 2x12 cabinet. Man, what an amazing difference. Traded in the Thiele 1x12 for the Lonestar. Now I have have a nice saturated tone at a reasonable volume.

Thank You all for the help.

I'll do a NAD soon with pictures.

nice! glad y' got what y' needed! i know my thiele CAN sound pretty dry-- which is great if that's what you want.. but glad y' didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater! enjoy that thang..

• Members
never had problems getting great tones out of my F-30...
:idk:

Me neither...:confused:

Hell, Ive gone thru 5 or 6 amps since I got mine and have kept the F-30 even though I coulda probably made a few $$$ selling it.

My guess is bad tubes, wrong cabinet/speakers, or just totally different taste in tone. Mine sings and sustains like crazy, is totally smooth ( I hate fizzy amps ) and sounds great for metal as well as clean and crunch tones.

• Members
Me neither...
:confused:

Hell, Ive gone thru 5 or 6 amps since I got mine and have kept the F-30 even though I coulda probably made a few $$$ selling it.

My guess is bad tubes, wrong cabinet/speakers, or just totally different taste in tone. Mine sings and sustains like crazy, is totally smooth ( I hate fizzy amps ) and sounds great for metal as well as clean and crunch tones.

:poke: :wave::idea::love::evil::D

Archived