is it hard to switch to a mac?

bluesboy

• Members

im a lifelong PC user... not by choice really, it's just all ive ever used. Im already daydreaming about my new laptop, that i dont need quite yet but really have gas for (you guitar players and amp people know exactly what im talking about).

anywho, my current laptop has windows XP which I like. My wife's has windows vista, which im not a huge fan of. Will it be hard to adjust to a mac? Are they really that much more reliable than PC's?

• Members

Do you have trouble pushing the "Power" button?

Macs are retardedly easy to use. I'm not a computer person by a long shot, and bought my first Mac because I'm not smart enough to keep a PC running properly. I got a virus on my last PC and tanked the entire system.

After I unpacked my first Mac, I was on the internet within 20 minutes.

• Members
macs are document centric where windows is application centric. on a mac an application is not a window, it's a set of menus at the top of the screen. you can keep a program open with no windows and just switch to it and start using it.

+1

I think my biggest "problem" when I first switched was having to Apple -> Q the programs when I was done using them instead of just clicking the "X" in the corner of the window.

My first week I'd typically have 5 programs open at once with no actual windows open. :lol:

• Members
Do you have trouble pushing the "Power" button?

Macs are retardedly easy to use. I'm not a computer person by a long shot, and bought my first Mac because I'm not smart enough to keep a PC running properly. I got a virus on my last PC and tanked the entire system.

After I unpacked my first Mac, I was on the internet within 20 minutes.

ummm, no i can hit the power button just fine :lol:. i consider myself a "semi" computer person... i've kept my PC's virus clean and working well both at work and at home. I just never used a mac, I just know that people seem to like them alot, and from talking to people who have used both they seem to like mac's better. just wanted some input :thu:

• Members
ummm, no i can hit the power button just fine
:lol:
. i consider myself a "semi" computer person... i've kept my PC's virus clean and working well both at work and at home. I just never used a mac, I just know that people seem to like them alot, and from talking to people who have used both they seem to like mac's better. just wanted some input
:thu:

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply you're an idiot. Just making a comment that hitting the power button is about the hardest thing you need to do to begin using a Mac :)

• Members

as long as you dont mind closing windows at the top left instead of the top right, you'll be fine

i use both, both have their pros and cons. there is a lot more free software for PCs, especially for media applications, but Macs come bundled with WAY better (and simply more usable) Suites. Macs are also much easier to network and set up for file sharing (on your local network ;)) than pcs (in fact you just click once and you've successfully shared that folder)

it goes on and on

• Members

When you understand the logic behind OSX's program installations (very smart), learn the usual keyboard commands and learn to use the Dock and Expose you should have no problems adapting to OSX. Also remember that if you're used to using programs maximized in Windows, that's not going to work too well in OSX.

With that said, I'd wait for a while before buying a Macbook. At the moment they seem to be suffering from manufacturing defects like dust under the glass screen, slanted keys, loose battery cover, issues with external displays etc. Even then I'd skip the Macbook and go for the Macbook Pro if you can afford it. The higher resolution and far better LCD panel (the vertical viewing angles on the Macbook are crap) are worth it, as well as the FireWire connection now missing from the Macbook.

• Members
as long as you dont mind closing windows at the top left instead of the top right, you'll be fine

i use both, both have their pros and cons. there is a lot more free software for PCs, especially for media applications, but Macs come bundled with WAY better (and simply more usable) Suites. Macs are also much easier to network and set up for file sharing (on your local network
;)
) than pcs (in fact you just click once and you've successfully shared that folder)

it goes on and on

cool, thanks for the info

• Members
I bought an iMac a few months ago. I don't think I'll ever buy a PC again. I do have Windows XP running using VMfusion on my mac too though - mainly for some applications that I use that there isn't a good mac alternative.

so you're a gamer then eh? :cop:

:D

• Members

I'm running one of the new MacBook Pros at work, and I run Windows in a VM maybe 5% of the time. I really only need it for 2 apps that I rarely use. The rest of the time is spent in OSX, with SSHing into the Linux servers. It's been a reliable piece of kit, so far.

Archived