I

Jack Q

• Members

sorry. it was just a joke.

i'd suggest that you just sit down and put together/finish a song and record it, or as many songs as you can. if they're not perfectly polished, it's ok. you can do that later. but getting something down will definitely take the pressure off and give you something to work from in the future.

• Members

Hey, Jack, don't let the presumably good natured jibes of our friends above get you down. (We might wonder when the last time they finished a song was? ;) )

If you hang around this forum enough -- and I hope you will -- I'm afraid you'll see that not only is your problem not unique, it seems to strike many or even most of us to varying degrees from time to time in our careers. (And I'm using career in the broad sense that you are pursuing this on an ongoing, hopefully life-long basis.)

There are a lot of things that can block creative flow but it looks like you've got a big ol' self-editor/cop/disapproving maiden aunt sitting on your shoulder telling you stuff isn't good enough.

If you want to get something done -- even if it's not, maybe, your best possible work -- you're going to have to get that self-editor to stuff his negativity long enough for you to get something done. And then keep his hands off the delete key.

Do not feel bad that your first efforts (or first efforts in a while) aren't the very best you're capable of. It's a matter of building on the efforts you've already made, even if they're far from perfect, and just improving things incrementally.

I'd suggest simply doing some, let's call them, test projects.

Don't try to make them perfect. Don't lavish take after take or punch after punch. And for gosh sake, don't stop every time you hit a little rough spot. Just keep going -- just, you know, kinda do it. Get the idea up. Imperfect takes or not.

In fact, you might even set yourself a time schedule. Give yourself a half hour for the basic guide track, 15 minutes for this, 20 minutes for that. The goal to have something concrete -- no matter how far from perfect -- at the end of an evening's work.

From there, you can take a look at what was hardest or most problematic and what worked out best and then you can put your next efforts into gently pushing yourself in the right direction.

But do not try for the be-all, end-all, perfect version... 'cause that's a sure way to keep yourself from getting anything done, if you're like a lot of us (and it sounds like you are).

I can honestly say, I've been where you feel like you're stuck and the way out is to just sort of sneak up on yourself and subvert your inclination to demand so much from yourself that you're not delivering anything...

Give yourself permission to be human. Give yourself permission to be imperfect.

Once you've done that, then you can work yourself gradually upward. There will be periods when you make some breakthroughs -- and other periods when it seems you work and work and work but the breakthrough doesn't seem to come.

;)

• Members

I get myself out of ruts by interacting with other musicians. I try to keep it as casual as possible - a kitchen jam or a low-key song circle. I'll let the others decide what is played; that way I'll play stuff that I wouldn't necessarily think of myself.

This accomplishes two things: I think about playing, rather than recording, and I always come away with new ideas for lyrics, arrangements, instrumentations etc.:idea:

It's easy for me to do this - I live in a big city where there are always open stages or jams. What is your situtation?

cheers

R

• Members

Hey, Jack, don't let the presumably good natured jibes of our friends above get you down. (We might wonder when the last time
they
finished a song was?
;)
)

;)

it's been about 2 months :cry: unless you count instrumentals, in which case, almost every day. :wave:

• Members

Thanks guys for the serious responses. Its good to hear others feel the same way.

I am a major perfectionist, and if something isn't great, or doesn't immediately capture my attention, I will think it sucks and put it away. This is all very self-destructive.

I agree about playing with other musicians. I've played in many bands, but for the past three years I haven't played with anyone else. I moved to a major music city, with the goal of starting a band in a place with industry opportunity. BUT, I told myself, before I start playing with other musicians again, I want to have a "real" product (good songs, etc) to show others, but because I'm never satisfied with anything, I haven't started playing music with others yet. Again, self-destructive behavior.

I'm not sure if anyone can relate, but it's my situation right now...

• Members

Yeah... there was a time when I was writing two or three songs a month (a substantial amount of filler and crap, to be sure :D ) but I've had dry periods that went a long, long time...

In fact, that was one of the things that encouraged me to start hanging out in this forum... I was hoping that if I at least started discussing songwriting, it might start me back on track. Happy to say it worked. I'm not exactly crankin' em out -- but I'm getting a better quality ratio, so maybe it works out.

I think MDR's got a good idea, too, if your circumstances can facilitate it. I'm not always overall that crazy about playing with other folks -- but it does seem to provoke greater productivity and even creativity from me. The more casual it is, the less intimidating/serious/demanding it is, too, so having the right attitude can be crucial.

• Members

Candidates for the FAQ:

"Hey, check out my song" -> "Welcome to the Forum!"

"First time songwriter here" -> "Be prepared to suck for a while"

"What do you think of my song" (no music) ->"Tough to evaluate lyrics without music"

"What do you think about my song" (no lyrics) -> "Can't evaluate lyrics unless you post a lyric sheet"

"I'm in a rut" -> "do test projects"

"I'm depressed" -> "do test projects"

• Members

Are you trying to suggest that I'm a conversabot?

Are you trying to suggest that I'm a conversa-bot?

:D

• Members

Candidates for the FAQ:

"Hey, check out my song" -> "Welcome to the Forum!"

"First time songwriter here" -> "Be prepared to suck for a while"

"What do you think of my song" (no music) ->"Tough to evaluate lyrics without music"

"What do you think about my song" (no lyrics) -> "Can't evaluate lyrics unless you post a lyric sheet"

"I'm in a rut" -> "do test projects"

"I'm depressed" -> "do test projects"

Indeed.

OP, it sounds like your priorities are way off. You don't want to write songs, you want to have written songs. You don't want to do songwriting, you want to be a songwriter. At least that's the impression you give in your opening post.

This is the part that should be fun, you know? Your plans and dreams, equipment purchases, and so on, don't have dick to do with whether or not you're writing.

If you are, indeed, in this for the writing part, the best advice I've had recently is to lower your goals for your session. Not, "I'm going to write a hit" or even "I'm going to write a song", but "I'm going to come up with a new chord progression", "I'm going to come up with 20 words that rhyme with ______", "I'm going to choose one song idea from my 200 pages and free-associate to generate ideas", "I'm going to prioritize/organize what I've got", etc. Take the pressure off, remember that nobody will hear your CD after you finish it anyway, and let it flow.

• Members

Jack, here is a serious, encouraging response. Why not try working with a co-writer. It sounds as though you have lots of ideas. Well, lots of times, good ideas simply need a little jump-start. A co-writer may be all you need to get things rolling along nicely. Don't worry if people here give you a little guff... it is true that being a songwriter and trying to write a song can be seen from two sides of the fence, but, don't worry about it. You have song ideas. Get a co-writer to help you get a handle on things.

One more thing, writing is often easier when you start with the "hook" or a chorus and a mood, something that you want to say and a means to say it.

• Members

I read and listen to any new music i can get my hands on, just look up an artist you like on google. Some sites have similar artists, go through and listen to a bunch of them. Sometimes i'll listen to some of my friends music that I find "hard" to listen to and end up loving it. Kurt Vonnegut always gets me writing songs too.

Most of the time when I write poetry or song lyrics it's by candle light at 5 in the morning, sometimes i try playing acoustic guitar when it's pitch black. Having different a variety of different stimuli encourage different subconcious feelings, which can also be conveyed in abstract things such as art. I never really did these things on purpose, but now that i'm talking about it sure seems like i do subconsciously.

{censored} break up with your girlfriend, that will give you a topic.

I started taking clasical piano lessons because i'm kind of in a rut too, that and classical piano is fun.

The songs I wrote are months old, i've been writing new stuff but I hate everything. Sometimes people like those song the most though, you'd be surprised. I wrote a song that is one chord, it's a minute and a half, and i did my own 5 part vocal harmonies . I thought it was the strangest most awful thing ever, my friends thought it was one of the most unique things they've ever heard. I was embarrassed playing it for them, so just give your self a chance(even though I put my self down a lot as well).

• Members

I play nearly weekly with different worship teams at my church.

I play drums with them, instead of my usual keys, but I always ask for lead sheets and play around with them at home...Sometimes I goof around with re-recording my own versions of them if I'm really desperate.

ANY kind of new music, literature, film, etc. can be a great inspiration.

I also have decades of recordings (thousands), mostly scratch demos, and I occasionally record one into the PC (from 4-track tape) and dust it off and re-record it.

Best of luck, and don't mind the trolls. :)

• Members

It's hard in an almost impossible level to get creative after a long day at work, with all the pressure you're causing yourself. It seems like you spent most of the time beating yourself up for not being able to progress... I think what you really have to do is relax. Who can get creative when he's stressed and frustrated?!

playing with other people sounds like a good idea, and so is a co-writer. there are even places you can do it online today. You should give it a try. but stay cool, all that stress, it's bad for your health man...:p

• Members

What is your dealio???

All that stuff you claimed and you are un able to write a zong? YAHHHHHH!

All songs have a beginning a middle and an END.

ALL songs tell a story or relate a feeling. .

ALL songs are "ART".

there is an ART to writeing that escapes the many and frustrates all but the true "artists" who UNDERSTAND the art of song writeng.

I've written many zongs and I have no trouble writeing what i wish to convey.

I study songs and write the lyrics to cover songs out in longhand to see what they look like and to get a feel of the writeing styles.

I study different styles to keep from locking myself into a set genre.

I take several different styles and FUSE them into a new and interesting work.

I write very short (one minute) dittys to finish an idea.

if I'm unable to complete an idea it's ONLY because I've stopped employing the basic rules of songwriteing.

I like kitty kats

kitty kats are pretty

soft fur wet nose

little bitty titties

my girl friend is furry

with a wet soft tongue

if you too like kitty kitty

go out and get you some:poke::wave::wave:

K.I.S.S.

*learn about how and why HAIKUS work in order to be able to say a lot with a little.

*study alitteration

*read short storys and try to write a very short story

BEGINNING There was a child who was born

MIDDLE he lived to be a man

END and then he died.

STOP being a hack and let the ART speak.

GOODE LUCKE to you all.

Thanks for lettin me share

:thu:(not my thumb)

• Members

It's hard in an almost impossible level to get creative after a long day at work, with all the pressure you're causing yourself. It seems like you spent most of the time beating yourself up for not being able to progress... I think what you really have to do is relax. Who can get creative when he's stressed and frustrated?!

playing with other people sounds like a good idea, and so is a co-writer. there are even places you can do it online today. You should give it a try. but stay cool, all that stress, it's bad for your health man...
:p

I find relief by composing after a long, hard day at work. It's amazing how tiredness disappears after getting engulfed in composing.

Don't sit down in front of the TV when you get home, rather sit at the piano, guitar, etc. If you choose the former, you

• Members

I find relief by composing after a long, hard day at work. It's amazing how tiredness disappears after getting engulfed in composing.

Don't sit down in front of the TV when you get home, rather sit at the piano, guitar, etc. If you choose the former, you

• Members

This is very true for me. I used to watch tv in the evenings, but now I almost always just go downstairs to the music computer.

Yeah, it's all about forming productive habits and priorities. TV can be a destructive force (it's an addiction).

Best, John:cool:

Archived