vintage deluxe reverb and bassman in stereo

Mikoo69

• Members

i currently run an original 1965 fender deluxe reverb 1x12 combo amp. i need some more stage volume and i was considering stereo amps.

i'm thinking of going with a 1960s blackface fender bassman with either a 2x10 or 1x15 cabinet. i think this will be a good compliment to my tone, as the DR is very bright, and the bassman should be somewhat darker?

will this combo sound good? will it give me extra stage volume/presence?

2x10 or 1x15 cab? hmmm advise me

• Members

First things first. A DR ought to give you plenty of stage volume. Is it pointed at your head? If that still isn't enough, which is hard to imagine, can you run some of your amp through your monitors? A DR and a Bassman sounds like way too much amp unless you need a whole lot of really clean headroom. If that's the case, neither of those amps can really deliver.

• Members

up against the orange amp, my amp is almost loud enough but needs to be slightly louder...i get drowned out by the other amp at points but its rarely the other way around....getting lower isnt neccesarily an option. we like it fairly loud anyway.

• Members

up against the orange amp, my amp is almost loud enough but needs to be slightly louder...i get drowned out by the other amp at points but its rarely the other way around....getting lower isnt neccesarily an option. we like it fairly loud anyway.

Push your channel fader up a little and bleed what you need back through the sidefills or wedges.

• Members

Are you serious?
:confused:

Hey {censored}tard. Quit acting surprised in every single thread where people mention their amps aren't always mic'd.

You've been told this so many times I've lost count, yet you still pop up in every thread like this and respond as though you've never heard such a thing.

As usual, you have acted like a jackass instead of trying to help the OP. Aren't you in your 40's? Isn't there a copier jammed that you could be working on?

• Members

I've got a Fender Concert 1x12 combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12 and a Fender Bassman Reissue 4x10. I love pairing two amps together, and it has become part of my sound. After experimenting with these three amps, as well as two Concert combos in stereo, I've decided that for me, I like the sound of two different amps mixed with different sets of power tubes. The top end of my Peavey Classic el84 amp mixes beautifully with the Fender Bassman. This is my experience anyway. I don't care so much about stereo. It's more about generating good tone, and not needing a backup amp.

• Members

Hey {censored}tard. Quit acting surprised in every single thread where people mention their amps aren't always mic'd.

You've been told this so many times I've lost count, yet you still pop up in every thread like this and respond as though you've never heard such a thing.

As usual, you have acted like a jackass instead of trying to help the OP. Aren't you in your 40's? Isn't there a copier jammed that you could be working on?

I would regard advising somebody to take advantage of the PA instead of building a wall of amps to keep up with another guitar player as being good advice. Piling on stage volume isn't a good plan. What happens when the other guitar player can' hear himself and goes out and beefs up his rig? Monitors let everybody hear what they want. Instead of putting money into another amp, that same money could be put into beefing up the PA, and the end result would be much better. Most places I play, even the very big clubs wouldn't let you get away with that kind of stage volume. That kind of thinking just shows a lack of experience.

Sometimes what people think they want may be quite a bit different from what they really need.:idea:

• Members

I would regard advising somebody to take advantage of the PA instead of building a wall of amps to keep up with another guitar player as being good advice. Piling on stage volume isn't a good plan. What happens when the other guitar player can' hear himself and goes out and beefs up his rig? Monitors let everybody hear what they want. Instead of putting money into another amp, that same money could be put into beefing up the PA, and the end result would be much better. Most places I play, even the very big clubs wouldn't let you get away with that kind of stage volume. That kind of thinking just shows a lack of experience.

Sometimes what people think they want may be quite a bit different from what they really need.
:idea:

I'm not trying to downplay the importance of a good PA system. I'm telling TLBonehead to stfu with the "OMG, there are venues that don't mic the guitar amps??" shtick.

His chain of responses, including the fake shock, has been repeated in every thread that deals with this subject. My last gig down in Austin they just mic'd the bass drum, the vocals and the bass guitar. I doubt they would have been interested in having a full PA carted up on their stage for a 45 minute set.

• Members

I'm not trying to downplay the importance of a good PA system. I'm telling TLBonehead to stfu with the "OMG, there are venues that don't mic the guitar amps??" shtick.

His chain of responses, including the fake shock, has been repeated in every thread that deals with this subject. My last gig down in Austin they just mic'd the bass drum, the vocals and the bass guitar. I doubt they would have been interested in having a full PA carted up on their stage for a 45 minute set.

Keep in mind there are several types of performers here. I and quite possibly he, play 4 hour gigs typically. I wouldn't bother with a 45 minute gig. It would be more trouble than it's worth. I also wouldn't play anything other than maybe an open jam without micing everything. Wouldn't even consider it. So I can certainly understand his reaction because to some degree, I share it.

Any decent band should know that they key to good sound is in controlled stage volume and a good, well setup PA, and that a recipe for a really bad reaction from the audience and club management is a volume war on the stage. The OP is setting himself up for failure, and most people learn that lesson pretty quickly.

• Members

Keep in mind there are several types of performers here. I and quite possibly he, play 4 hour gigs typically. I wouldn't bother with a 45 minute gig. It would be more trouble than it's worth. I also wouldn't play anything other than maybe an open jam without micing everything. Wouldn't even consider it. So I can certainly understand his reaction because to some degree, I share it.

Any decent band should know that they key to good sound is in controlled stage volume and a good, well setup PA, and that a recipe for a really bad reaction from the audience and club management is a volume war on the stage. The OP is setting himself up for failure, and most people learn that lesson pretty quickly.

Ha. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.:facepalm:

My band is more than decent and we play gig's without micing guitars all the time. It's not necessary most of the time in small clubs.

I like to spread the sound around just as much as anybody, but in small clubs micing everything is just plain overkill.

If I'm in a good size club and I know we won't be micing the amps I'll take two amps and run one on either side of the drums to spread the sound and it's MORE than adequate.:cool:

• Members

Are you in a cover band? Most original bands don't play more than a 45 minute to 1 hour set. Also, most original music venues now days are smaller, and only have smaller PA's.

Regardless, TLBonehead has been informed of this phenomena, yet he still pops in these threads and acts just as surprised as the last time. Maybe he's beyond retarded?

• Members

Are you in a cover band? Most original bands don't play more than a 45 minute to 1 hour set. Also, most original music venues now days are smaller, and only have smaller PA's.

Regardless, TLBonehead has been informed of this phenomena, yet he still pops in these threads and acts just as surprised as the last time. Maybe he's beyond retarded?

Yes I am.

Perhaps if original bands invested a little heavier in PAs and learned how to sound good, they'd be able to play in bigger places for longer than 45 minutes. :poke::cop:;)

• Members

Yes I am.

Perhaps if original bands invested a little heavier in PAs and learned how to sound good, they'd be able to play in bigger places for longer than 45 minutes. :poke:
:cop:;)

Thats assuming most venues want you to bring your own PA. In Austin, this is far from the case. Then again the bigger venues have nice PA's and will mic you. But that venue is also big enough that you can turn up your volume to match a loud rock drummer. Which Im guessing, is probably louder than you're playing anyways.

• Members

Thats assuming most venues want you to bring your own PA. In Austin, this is far from the case. Then again the bigger venues have nice PA's and will mic you. But that venue is also big enough that you can turn up your volume to match a loud rock drummer. Which Im guessing, is probably louder than you're playing anyways.

No, my drummer's an animal, but the OP's talking about keeping up with the other guitar player, not his drummer. I agree that he ought to be matching the drummer, not the other guitar player.

• Members

No, my drummer's an animal, but the OP's talking about keeping up with the other guitar player, not his drummer. In my first reply in this thread, I said he ought to be matching the drummer, not the other guitar player.

Back on a serious note, there's no way a Deluxe Reverb would be loud enough to play an unmic'd gig assuming you want any kind of volume dynamics available.

Archived