Webcams...

JBecker

• Members

I was thinking about buying the family some webcams since my sister and I are both away at college and I thought it'd be a cute, easy, useful holiday gift. Who has experience with webcams? I never, ever use them, but I figure Skype/Ekiga or the like, but I have no idea what I should be looking at for hardware.

• Members

I just did the same thing so my parents could see my grand daughter and kids. I messed around a little with some free programs online but couldn't get it to work. I guess they work with AIM and several other messenger programs, but I hate those so I wanted to find another way to use them. I'm still working on it.

Jerry

• Members

I just did the same thing so my parents could see my grand daughter and kids. I messed around a little with some free programs online but couldn't get it to work. I guess they work with AIM and several other messenger programs, but I hate those so I wanted to find another way to use them. I'm still working on it.

Jerry

What's wrong with Skype? What hardware did you settle on?

• Members

What's wrong with Skype? What hardware did you settle on?

Didn't try that. I haven't settled on anything yet. I tried using Yawcam and couldn't get it to stream online. I'm going to mess around with it some more this weekend.

Jerry

• Members

I have one that I use to talk to my cousin in Ireland and my aunt in Antigua.

Are you running linux?I havent tried using the webcam with Ubuntu yet.

I boot into Windows and use MSN messenger ( their choice ) to connect.

Archived