5150 II doesn't work - suggestions or ways to find out what it is?

bob the dentist

• Members

Alright, so my 5150 II doesn't make sound anymore. It turns on just fine, the green and red lights on the front panel come on, so I'm fairly certain it isn't a fuse or something.

However, none of the tubes glow at all, even when the front lights are on.

This leads me to believe that I need new tubes, but is there any way that i can tell for sure which tubes are burnt out? I don't mind replacing all of them but theres no point replacing tubes that are still working :poke:

• Members

Alright, so my 5150 II doesn't make sound anymore. It turns on just fine, the green and red lights on the front panel come on, so I'm fairly certain it isn't a fuse or something.

However, none of the tubes glow at all, even when the front lights are on.

This leads me to believe that I need new tubes, but is there any way that i can tell for sure which tubes are burnt out? I don't mind replacing all of them but theres no point replacing tubes that are still working :poke:

http://www.fjamods.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2

• Members

NONE of the tubes light up? That might be something other than bad tubes. You aren't even getting power to the heaters in that case. I don't know if the tube's heaters are wired in parallel or series. If it's in series, then a tube with a bad heater COULD be causing it. If they are in parallel, then you are having a power supply problem.

• Members

The preamp tube heaters are in series, the power tubes are not. The preamp tube heaters are D/C voltage, the PI and power tubes are A/C voltage.

The most common cause for what you describe is a blown internal fuse caused by a shorted power tube. A new set of power tubes and a fuse and you're back in business. There is a ribbon cable that connects the power amp board to the main board that can burn up that can also cause that problem too.
Jerry

Archived