Looking for (1) Amp to do it All

slappymcfinkles

• Members

We play the same kind of stuff, and here's what I've used over the years:

Boogie Triaxis/20:20, G-Force - nice and compact, but very expensive and tons of tweaking

Boogie Rectoverb combo + pedals - no complaints here.

Boogie Mark IV + rack effects - again, no complaints, but a bunch of tweaking

Fender Twin + pedals - The Twin is a heavy bastard.

Rivera R55 - good amp, but doesn't get a very heavy sound.

Vox Valvetronix - too much stuff for me, but sounded decent.

Currently using a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. plus a few pedals.

Our other guitarist just bought an Egnater TOL and it sounds great, I'd definitely look into that.

+1 on the Randall modular stuff. Haven't tried it myself but all the demos I've heard sound great.

I think out of all the different setups I've used my favorites are my Dr. Z setup and the Triaxis/20:20/G-force setup with the edge going to the Triaxis rig. A four space rack with the Tri, power amp, G-force, and power conditioner and a 1x12" widebody cab is super easy to lug around.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The big thing is it has to go from that lame ass country clean to Alice in Chains with out a lot of BS in between. My Twin Reverb will rip your face off as long as you run the MT2

You just said the Twin Reverb was perfect for you and you're not willing to work with versatile amps that have lots of versatility. Just stick with what you have.

Guest Anonymous

Ok here's the story ~ my band (MsBehavin) plays a little bit of everything ~ Classic Rock, New Rock, and Country. My current rig is a ptp black face twin reverb (aka the twin reefer) and an early 70's Marshall Super Lead through my board (Modded Vox wah, Modded TS-9, OCD, Keeley MT/2, Analogman Clone Chorus and tuner) with a couple old Gibson Les Pauls, Gretsch 6120 and CS 62 SG Std.

I normally gig the Twin because it's nice and clean and you can color the sound with the pedalboard. The Marshall will do all the od/distortion you could want but it won't clean up for the country stuff. I'm to the point where I'm looking for one amp to do it all and leave the board at home (minus a tuner, chorus, and a wah) I want one all tube amp that can go from Fender Clean, to Bad Company OD/distortion, to Alice in Chains. I'm kind of leaning towards a Mesa Triple but any other insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Fractal Audio Axe-fx Ultra w/ 2 FR PA speakers for live and 2 FR nearfields and a recorder for studio and practice. You'll be set........End of story.....no {censored}

• Members
Ok here's the story ~ my band (MsBehavin) plays a little bit of everything ~ Classic Rock, New Rock, and Country. My current rig is a ptp black face twin reverb (aka the twin reefer) and an early 70's Marshall Super Lead through my board (Modded Vox wah, Modded TS-9, OCD, Keeley MT/2, Analogman Clone Chorus and tuner) with a couple old Gibson Les Pauls, Gretsch 6120 and CS 62 SG Std.

I normally gig the Twin because it's nice and clean and you can color the sound with the pedalboard. The Marshall will do all the od/distortion you could want but it won't clean up for the country stuff. I'm to the point where I'm looking for one amp to do it all and leave the board at home (minus a tuner, chorus, and a wah) I want one all tube amp that can go from Fender Clean, to Bad Company OD/distortion, to Alice in Chains. I'm kind of leaning towards a Mesa Triple but any other insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Here ya go...

mesa_roadking.jpg

I've also owned a Triple. It doesn't even come close.

Archived