Looking for (1) Amp to do it All

slappymcfinkles

• Members

Ok here's the story ~ my band (MsBehavin) plays a little bit of everything ~ Classic Rock, New Rock, and Country. My current rig is a ptp black face twin reverb (aka the twin reefer) and an early 70's Marshall Super Lead through my board (Modded Vox wah, Modded TS-9, OCD, Keeley MT/2, Analogman Clone Chorus and tuner) with a couple old Gibson Les Pauls, Gretsch 6120 and CS 62 SG Std.

I normally gig the Twin because it's nice and clean and you can color the sound with the pedalboard. The Marshall will do all the od/distortion you could want but it won't clean up for the country stuff. I'm to the point where I'm looking for one amp to do it all and leave the board at home (minus a tuner, chorus, and a wah) I want one all tube amp that can go from Fender Clean, to Bad Company OD/distortion, to Alice in Chains. I'm kind of leaning towards a Mesa Triple but any other insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Obvious answer: Mesa Mark IV. Fenderish cleans on Channel 1, nice overdrive on Channel 2 (OD pedal will get you all kinds of mid gain sounds on this channel), Channel 3 will do searing leads, and Channel 3+EQ will do any heavy rhythmns with ease. Plenty of chug with the graphic EQ.

You can even get it as a combo if you only want to carry one heavy thing around.:thu:

• Members

Yeah the JVM was a bit much for picking and choosing ~ I didn't care for the high gain as much as the crunch. I'm still leanin' hard on a Mesa ~ I'm not sure if I want to go with a dozen tubes though ~ mabye just a dual recto or something similar. I could always run the Twin and Marshall and switch between the two but it's way too much gear to haul around.

• Members
Yeah the JVM was a bit much for picking and choosing ~ I didn't care for the high gain as much as the crunch. I'm still leanin' hard on a Mesa ~ I'm not sure if I want to go with a dozen tubes though ~ mabye just a dual recto or something similar. I could always run the Twin and Marshall and switch between the two but it's way too much gear to haul around.

You aren't getting country cleans from a Dual Rec.:cop:

Mark IV.:thu:

• Members

stay clear of the Triamp or the mark 4 or the Roadking.

You could wait for the Mark 5. I heard from John Petrutcci's Guitar Tech's Wife's Bastard Child's Guitar Tech that it has a telepathic interface :o.

Seriously though...

Modeler's can be as complex or as simple as you want them to be. There is a big collection of users of the Line 6 products that already have a huge library of presets that you can either copy or download directly to the amp. The footswitch is a breaze to use: 32 banks of 4 presets, effects on/off, and an expression pedal, that's it

Archived