sorta O/T: My first noise complaint

petejt

• Members

Hehe, I got distracted earlier when I came online, I meant to post this then.

Tonight was the first time ever that I've received an official complaint for making too much noise when playing music at home!

I'm not saying that I am proud for literally getting copped, but just that only NOW I get complained about and get officially told to keep the noise down!

Well, like any other day when I'm at home on break and just practicing & mucking about, I crank up my amps and start chugging away. I had the mixer & PA blasting too as I was first learning some mellow Stevie Nicks songs, then got excited and cranked the gain for some ol' Mercyful Fate- full on RAWK! :rawk: It was pretty loud.

After a good hour and a half, I see a torch flashing through the bottom of the window (the music has a big window that's mostly covered by a blind, a but a bit shows at the bottom), then a knock on the side window. I thought it was my housemate coming home from holidays, so I shut down everything to see if it was him.

I went out into the garage and opened the roller door to walk round to the front door, and three big blokes that look like policemen walk over! The thing is they weren't actually coppers, but "City of Stirling Council Security". I've never heard of the council having their own copper force! crazy...

oh well, I wasn't bothered by 'em, so I said hello and asked what they came for. They said they received a complaint about the noise. Being a Tuesday night and getting late (about half past 10), I wasn't too bothered so said that's ok I'll keep it down. I asked if the complaint was recent and they said it was just 5 minutes ago. But they couldn't say if it came from next door or down the road or a few blocks away. Oh well. I was just interested to see how far away my guitar could be heard!

It's weird because so many times I've had my guitar cranking and my housemates up all night being rowdy at any day of the week, and no complaint at all has occurred.

Anyway, I was ready to settle down for the night so packed it up when they left...

What pissed me off was they stayed out on the footpath for another fifteen minutes!! what the {censored}? :confused::mad:

I could hear 'em talking and it bugged me that they stayed so long. I was gonna keep my word, I don't want any trouble. I'll just crank it up on Saturday night instead. ;)

• Members

When i was still living in my parents house i used play my DSL half stack turned up to 3 or 4. NO the neighbors house is about 20-30 meters away but she could hear it plainly.

My neighbor was about 65 and one day when my mom was talking to her my mom said, would you listen to that fecker playing guitar the whole time. Can you hear that in your house. And my neighbor just say, yeah but we dont mind. Hes very good. :cool:

Kinda sucks to get noise complaints though. Thats why i have an Axe-fx through powered studio monitors now for home use now seems as i live in a semi-detached

• Members

I got one of these when I was living at home. The guy came round and was actually pretty aggressive. I turned it down for a few days then gradually went back up to the same volume as before and he didn't say anything for the next two years :idk: I wasn't complaining however.

• Members

They stayed so they didn't go away and have to come back again. Half 10 is pretty late to be playing loudly. Not than I know how loudly you were playing. What volume were you on and what amp? 1 on my ENGL is ridiculously loud to me and I can't hear anything outside my room.

• Members

I think it's kinda funny you play that lound when your just jamming by yourself. I don't even turn my amps up that lound when I'm playing shows or at band practice. I think I'm gonna let it rip tonight at band practice though. I always try to be considerate and not drown everyone out, but {censored} it, they are going down tonight.

• Members

They stayed so they didn't go away and have to come back again. Half 10 is pretty late to be playing loudly. Not than I know how loudly you were playing. What volume were you on and what amp? 1 on my ENGL is ridiculously loud to me and I can't hear anything outside my room.

I think about over halfway on both the Fireball & the MarkIV's master volumes.

• Members

I think it's kinda funny you play that lound when your just jamming by yourself. I don't even turn my amps up that lound when I'm playing shows or at band practice. I think I'm gonna let it rip tonight at band practice though. I always try to be considerate and not drown everyone out, but {censored} it, they are going down tonight.

That's just how I felt!

Well when I'm just practicing own my own I don't play too loud. It's just sometimes I like cranking it right up even if it is on my own. There's a room in the house just for music, so I use it to its full potential. I'm accumulating a pile of old egg cartons as we post, and when I have enough I'll use them for sound damping.

• Members

Holy crap! Do you wear earplugs while practising?

Nope! :freak::D

I wear ear plugs every day at work, I have to. It drives me nuts so when I'm playing music I can't stand earplugs even if it is almost as loud as the drilling rigs.

{censored} I'd love to try that, get the amps out near the drill rig and let it roar while they blow 500psi into the ground!

Archived