Writing & recording in front of others

King_For_A_Day

• Members

As outgoing as I am when i perform, the writing and recording processes are very private for me. I need to be able to make lots of mistakes, sound terrible or worse, take wrong turns into muddy ditches or over cliffs, etc.

My wife has always been hurt that i need to shut her and everyone else out when i write. She feels that i should be comfortable and free to make mistakes in front of her, sort of like being uncareingly naked. I understand what she means, but i still have trouble feeling completely open. I don't want her to see me confused or stuck or at less than my best musically. I also have a kind of Magician's Attitude, where i don't want anyone to see "how the trick is done".

Anybody else in a similar situation? Am i just too dam inhibited?

• Members

I do work on stuff in front of my wife but when the opportunity is available I prefer to work alone. It's not so much about the embarrassment...it's just more peaceful without her there. My wife is an overworked IT project leader who is typically doing work from home during evening hours - so while I'm trying to commune with the muses, she's frantically typing emails and preparing presentations and documents. I find her 'energy' is sometimes a disruptive presence. I'm sure many of you will counter with stories about how disruptive your children are...

I'll go through phases of wanting to be private about it and phases of not caring at all if she's right there. Another factor for me is that I think it must be painful for anyone to listen to me agonizing over music, playing the same verse over and over and over again.

I was once mixing a song, playing it over and over again tweaking levels here and there and she basically told me to stop, that I was overworking it LOL.

• Members

As outgoing as I am when i perform, the writing and recording processes are very private for me. I need to be able to make lots of mistakes, sound terrible or worse, take wrong turns into muddy ditches or over cliffs, etc.

My wife has always been hurt that i need to shut her and everyone else out when i write. She feels that i should be comfortable and free to make mistakes in front of her, sort of like being uncareingly naked. I understand what she means, but i still have trouble feeling completely open. I don't want her to see me confused or stuck or at less than my best musically. I also have a kind of Magician's Attitude, where i don't want anyone to see "how the trick is done".

I absolutely hear you.

I think some folks want way too much intimacy too much of the time. I would so much rather devote all my attention to the person I'm with for a shorter period of time than spend all my waking hours with the same person -- most of them trying to ignore or shut them out.

Obviously, when you live together with your significant other, particularly in a small place, obviously, you have to develop coping strategies. I've known creative couples with limited space resources that found ways to trade off as well as have common use times. And, of course, you simply have to develop the ability to tune others out, at times.

Obviously, childhood experience is going to be a significant factor in who can work in what fashion. I imagine that many who grew up in big families have the ability to shut out personal distractions much better than those of us who grew up as only children. Me, if the woman I'm in love with is around, I'm going to be pestering her. One way or another.

• Members

I write lyrics in my truck while waiting for my daughter to finish dance class. It's quiet, warm (well in winter I turn on the heater) the seats are very comfortable. I rarely write lyrics at home but when I do I need quiet, so I hide in the rec room while others are upstairs watching TV. When I write the music part, it's all by myself in the rec room which is how I like it. Don't enjoy being scrutinzed while I'm creating. My wife asks once in a while to see what I'm writing but I always refuse until it's complete and recorded. Been doing it this way for several years and it works for me... :thu:

• Members

I'm painfully aware of the pain and suffering imposed on others by practicing and writing in front of them. I certainly don't mind sharing some works in progress informally with a friend or inamorata -- but there's no way I'm going to do the same song over 10 different ways, knowing how irritating it must be to the other -- since it gets pretty irritating to me.

• Members

Your wife needs to respect your space. There's no need for spouses to know everything about each other, which I know is contrary to today's accepted foolhardy wisdom concerning marriage. A little mystery goes a long way.

Lock your room. Tell her you're busy. Give her the credit card so that she can go shopping. Help her find a hobby that doesn't involve monitoring your every action and creative decision. It's marriage, not parole. :idk:

• Members

I'm 100% with you on this one. I would think tons of people are.

• Members

My wife lets me have the space I need........

And when I'm grinding on something I definitely need that kind of space.

However, when I'm tracking something that I'm confident is there already sometimes I get my best take with the kids sitting on the couch. Sarah has been known to get up and dance and Alex doesn't hesitate to pick up a shaker when appropriate.

• Members

I used to be private and locked myself in my room when I was writing, that came mostly from being perfectionist and not wanting to show any flaws. However, over the years I have opened up quite a bit. Now, I will sit on the couch with the laptop and guitar and compose in front of my wife and kids... like others have said, they could care less about what I am doing musically.

Recording is something different though. I need complete isolation from everybody at this stage. So I usually end up having to schedule a time away from family and friends, like a weekend or something, for recording sessions. This is when people get upset with me, but they try to understand.

Archived