Themes for lyrics

RockRocket

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, there's a perfect place to find themes!

Go to your favorite radio station. Listen to it for a day. Write down the theme of each song.

Then go through your list and scratch off the ones you don't like.

What's left is your list.

Seriously, because only you know what you like, only you can say what in your genre is "stupid" to you.

• Members

I need help, where do you find them?I can't think of many themes for lyrics that i do not find stupid.

Maybe i could find in poetry and small tales?But i don't know any good writers as i'm not into it.Suggestions?

You should write a song about kissing a boy. Top ten hit for sure in response to that Cherry Chapstick song that other chick wrote on the radio.

Also good theme: Assless chaps. Seriously. Nobody has written about assless chaps yet. There's gotta be a song there.

• Moderators

I was being serious when I quoted your Lennon quote. It's important to you, so write it. Lennon put a provocative twist on the theme with his choice of words. So, he beat you there, but try your own.

"Don't Call Her Baby"

"Isn't She Sweet"

"2nd Class Human Being"

"Lipstick and the Damage Done"

• Members

I was being serious when I quoted your Lennon quote. It's important to you, so write it. Lennon put a provocative twist on the theme with his choice of words. So, he beat you there, but try your own.

"Don't Call Her Baby"

"Isn't She Sweet"

"2nd Class Human Being"

"Lipstick and the Damage Done"

That song "Woman is the n..." is racist garbage dressed up as some high-minded feminist anthem. Lennon was totally full of {censored}. He's famous for singing about peace, love and family. But he beat his first wife and essentially abandoned his first kid. Great songwriter and damn fine entertainer, though.

• Members

I need help, where do you find them?I can't think of many themes for lyrics that i do not find stupid.

Maybe i could find in poetry and small tales?But i don't know any good writers as i'm not into it.Suggestions?

a muffler for a 61 buick

Love ,there is no other theme for a song.

• Members

To be serious for a bit. After much study of songwriting and songs, I've concluded that you can literally write a song about anything. Whether it's good or not is going to depend on the songwriter, but topic, theme, could be anything. Just go for it!

BTW I'm reading an interesting book "This is your brain on Music" which says it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be come an expert on something. So plan on writing a lot of songs! :)

• Members

To be serious for a bit. After much study of songwriting and songs, I've concluded that you can literally write a song about anything. Whether it's good or not is going to depend on the songwriter, but topic, theme, could be anything. Just go for it!

BTW I'm reading an interesting book "This is your brain on Music" which says it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be come an expert on something. So plan on writing a lot of songs!
:)

no songwriter could write a song about a car muffler. In the artform of the pop song writing about love works best. You can write about social injustice or hard luck or just how great it is to be alive sure but its just more difficult. You come off sounding like a jerk unless you are Bob Dylan. If you are that deep go for it.

• Members

no songwriter could write a song about a car muffler. In the artform of the pop song writing about love works best. You can write about social injustice or hard luck or just how great it is to be alive sure but its just more difficult. You come off sounding like a jerk unless you are Bob Dylan. If you are that deep go for it.

Of course they could, simple really. As I said it depends on the songwriter and their skills.

There have been studies that tabulate the themes of popular songs and certainly love is a popular theme......but.....the point stands.

Here's a Muffler Song:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Or if you don't want to write a song about it you could play a song on it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92423408

:eek:

• Members

BTW I'm reading an interesting book "This is your brain on Music" which says it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be come an expert on something. So plan on writing a lot of songs!

That's a good book. IIRC it also says that those 10K hours have to be meaningful -- you can't just go through the motions. You have to care about what you are doing: it's what distinguishes those who hit 10K and are masters, and those who hit 10K and are merely technically proficient.

• Members

That's a good book. IIRC it also says that those 10K hours have to be meaningful -- you can't just go through the motions. You have to care about what you are doing: it's what distinguishes those who hit 10K and are masters, and those who hit 10K and are merely technically proficient.

Yes, certainly there is a spectrum of "proficiency" even then.

But basically anyone who puts in that much time on any given skill or activity will be an "expert" in it. Doesn't matter if it's basketball, race car driving, piano playing or songwriting.

• Members

That song "Woman is the n..." is racist garbage dressed up as some high-minded feminist anthem. Lennon was totally full of {censored}. He's famous for singing about peace, love and family. But he beat his first wife and essentially abandoned his first kid. Great songwriter and damn fine entertainer, though.

the word nigger wasn't always used to refer to blacks.

my black 8th grade teacher used it a couple of times talking to kids who were just being idiots in class and never did their work.

i'm not saying Lennon didn't beat his wife and what not but i don't he used it as a raical slur.

and neither did i just in case someone gets mad.

• Moderators

Sounds like you might have few anger issues you're working out? I won't disagree that Lennon wasn't Christ. Or that the n work might offend plenty of people. Or that Lennon wasn't manipulating to make a point... but I'm still trying to figure out what your post has to do with the original question.

I'm only quoting the sig off the OP. It was important enough to him to quote, which was my tip off it might be important to him.

Newsflash. That Lennon's a bastard. :)

• Members
Of course they could, simple really. As I said it depends on the songwriter and their skills.

There have been studies that tabulate the themes of popular songs and certainly love is a popular theme......but.....the point stands.

Here's a Muffler Song:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

We,as songwriters are restricted to writing about things that have meaning.

Meaning meaning something that has meaning to us as human beings. Songs about inatimate objects an absurd freak show.

We have many emotions to draw from but basically it all comes down to love ,hate ,jealousy ,greed, fear, anguish, compassion, lust and a host of others. You will find love or a perverted form of it tied to all these human emotions that give songs meaning. Know what I mean.

Alan Jackson wrote a song about a Mercury.It wasa love song for a car. Im in Love with my Car by Queens drummer,that would include the Muffler.

• Members

We,as songwriters are restricted to writing about things that have meaning.

Meaning meaning something that has meaning to us as human beings. Songs about inatimate objects an absurd freak show.

We have many emotions to draw from but basically it all comes down to love ,hate ,jealousy ,greed, fear, anguish, compassion, lust and a host of others. You will find love or a perverted form of it tied to all these human emotions that give songs meaning. Know what I mean.

Alan Jackson wrote a song about a Mercury.It wasa love song for a car. Im in Love with my Car by Queens drummer,that would include the Muffler.

i wrote a song about someone farting. obviously it was a comedic song but i don't love farts. they stink. what about tenacious d. i find it hard to connect alot of their songs with love of any kind. battling satan for their lives :idk:

• Members

here's another thing i've noticed. my good material just comes to me when i'm busy doing something else. at work. in the car. the only material that i sit there and try to think up is stuff that completes material that just came to me. most of the time stuff doesn't just come to me that doesn't have some sort of meaning to me.

• Members

then make a list of things that mean something to you.

for me it's making people laugh. so i try and write funny songs.

then go down the list and pick what comes to you.

although I smile and I act like a clown,behind this mask I am wearing a frown

everybody loves a clown so why cant you,everybody laughs at the things that I say and do

Dont bull{censored} yourself. If you could do great serious music you would. You cant, so you get a cheap laugh by bastardizing music,like Adam Sandler does.

• Members

Well I once said (you can search the archive if you like) there are only three types of songs Longing, Loving, and Leaving.

That doesn't mean you can't write a song about mufflers though.

Johnny Cash said all the good songs are about Sex, God, or Murder. That sounds about right. That's why I'm writing a tune about {censored}ing a muffler.

Archived