Themes for lyrics

RockRocket

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

saying that white people can't say it but black people can is racist.

my 8th grade teacher was black which according to you is more acceptable so why is it backwards-ass?

and i was refering to the word in it's original context not how modern society has turned it. if you were trying to understand what i was saying instead of grilling me for using the word you probably would have caught that. you're the one being racist not me.
:cop:

Nowhere did I say black people can say the N-Word, so check yourself first before you ask me to do the same, please.

But since you brought it up I'd say iyeah - it's debatable whether black people can use the N-word, depending on the context. It's always crass, sure. But after 200-plus years of oppression and whatnot I say they've earned a by on that front. That's just the way it is.

And I stand by my post: white people under no circumstances may utter the N-word without being branded a racist.

And I find your tone and the original person's John Lennon quote deeply offensive. So yeah, I have a chip on my shoulder for sure.

And this particularly worries me in light of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8000763.stm

• Members

Nowhere did I say black people can say the N-Word, so check yourself first before you ask me to do the same, please.

But since you brought it up I'd say iyeah - it's debatable whether black people can use the N-word, depending on the context. It's always crass, sure. But after 200-plus years of oppression and whatnot I say they've earned a by on that front. That's just the way it is.

And I stand by my post: white people under no circumstances may utter the N-word without being branded a racist.

And I find your tone and the original person's John Lennon quote deeply offensive. So yeah, I have a chip on my shoulder for sure.

And this particularly worries me in light of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8000763.stm

this is some good song writing material eh?

assuming you're not black since you referred to black people as "they" why should you find it offensive. Lennon was merely trying to make a point. imagine IMHO puts a pretty good stamp on him being racist. and yes it does depend on the context, someone shouldn't be offended by the use of the word in the context that used it. i didn't use it a racist manner, but instead was referring to the word itself. in which case if someone did get offended it looks to me like they're just trolling.

that white supremist bull{censored} has nothing to do with this. the fact that my teacher used it, in part to teach what i'm trying to get across now (the fact that words only mean what they are intended to) would seem to cross that out. or maybe she is a white supremist such as myself, glad you found my picture on BBC by the way. :facepalm:

also no black person alove today went through 200 years of oppression. maybe the elderly one's fought for civil rights. but if anyhting they should be glad. look where the one's alive today are. in a free nation where they are no longer judged by the color of their skin (at least by the bovernment). i'm not saying that slavery was good back then. but bad things some times yeild some good rewards. i'm not trying to be racist, just realist.

• Members

assuming you're not black since you referred to black people as "they" why should you find it offensive. Lennon was merely trying to make a point. imagine IMHO puts a pretty good stamp on him being racist. and yes it does depend on the context, someone shouldn't be offended by the use of the word in the context that used it. i didn't use it a racist manner, but instead was referring to the word itself. in which case if someone did get offended it looks to me like they're just trolling.

that white supremist bull{censored} has nothing to do with this. the fact that my teacher used it, in part to teach what i'm trying to get across now (the fact that words only mean what they are intended to) would seem to cross that out. or maybe she is a white supremist such as myself, glad you found my picture on BBC by the way.
:facepalm:

"Someone shouldn't be offended..." I love how you make yourself the authority on what should or shouldn't offend people...

And No, I'm not black. But I still find deeply disturbing how flippantly some white people - particularly young white people -use the word, particularly in online forums and online gaming.

You need to get out of Oklahoma City or wherever the hell it is you are from and mix it up with some other people. Maybe then you'd understand what I'm talking about. And I'm not digging on Oklahoma City, but fact is the place was 68% white according to the 2000 census. Not exactly a melting pot.

• Members

this is some good song writing material eh?

also no black person alove today went through 200 years of oppression. maybe the elderly one's fought for civil rights. but if anyhting they should be glad. look where the one's alive today are. in a free nation where they are no longer judged by the color of their skin (at least by the bovernment). i'm not saying that slavery was good back then. but bad things some times yeild some good rewards. i'm not trying to be racist, just realist.

I'm simply at a loss for words on this... I.... not saying slavery was good back then?...Bad things yield some good rewards.... they should be glad?

Dude.... Dude.....

I'm literally gasping in amazement over here. You really have no idea how one could find what you just wrote offensive? Really?

• Members

"Someone shouldn't be offended..." I love how you make yourself the authority on what should or shouldn't offend people...

And No, I'm not black. But I still find deeply disturbing how flippantly some white people - particularly young white people -use the word, particularly in online forums and online gaming.

You need to get out of Oklahoma City or wherever the hell it is you are from and mix it up with some other people. Maybe then you'd understand what I'm talking about. And I'm not digging on Oklahoma City, but fact is the place was 68% white according to the 2000 census. Not exactly a melting pot.

i'm not saying they can't or aren't supposed to be. i'm just saying that when used in the context me or Mr.Lennon used it's stupid for them to do so because it wasn't even in reference to their race. and terms tend to lose their meaning after being used for so long. such as "christian". anyone who claims to believe in God now days are "christian". that's not what the word means. a christian is someone who follows God to their best ability. the word "gentleman". it used mean someone who owned land and was wealthy. now it means someone who's nice. the word "gay". used to mean someone that had sex with the same sex, now it's used the same but is also used to describe things that are stupid. it also seems to me that while the term is being more freqently used it's most racist form is being replaced by a more social form of the word. therefore it taking on a less negative connotation.

and yes OKC is mostly white. but i don't get where you're coming from here. people use it the same as they do everywhere else. i know plenty of people that use the word in both contexts, but like i said in the beginning, it's the context of the word that determines it's intentional use.

that's something else my teacher tought me. she held up her middle finger. she said "do you know what this means? not a thing." then she pointed to her heart and said "it's what's in here that means a thing." now someone such as yourself might say she flipped me off. but she didn't. she was simply trying to relay the message that words (and in this case an action) is only takes on an offensive meaning when it is meant to be offensive. if you want to be paraniod and think that i'm racist for using the word in an obviously non-racist manner go ahead, i can't stop you, but i'm not gonna change the i think just because someone wants to stoke the fire by pretending to be offended. game over.

• Members

I'm simply at a loss for words on this... I.... not saying slavery was good back then?...Bad things yield some good rewards.... they should be glad?

Dude.... Dude.....

I'm literally gasping in amazement over here. You really have no idea how one could find what you just wrote offensive? Really?

i'm not saying they should be glad that their ancestors went through some msierable times. that would be pretty {censored}ty. what i'm saying is that things turned out for the better and they should be glad for that. yes someone could find it offensive, why should they though?

look alot of places in africa are "under par" food and water shortages, genecide, and civil war. the people who came over here went through hard times but ultimately their children's children got it pretty good compared to where they may or MAY NOT have been.

but you're just gonna turn this into something racist too aren't you.:poke:

• Members

I'ma try to derail this entirely and think of awesome songs about inanimate objects.

Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel)

Gold Watch and Chain (Carter Family)

Lungs (Townes VanZandt)

Train Song (Tom Waits)

Ace of Spades (Motorhead)

Pink Cadillac (Bruce Springsteen)

(The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes (Elvis Costello)

Souvenirs (John Prine)

If I Had a Boat (Lyle Lovett)

Dust in the Wind (Kansas)

Lost Highway (Hank Williams)

Tower of Song (Leonard Cohen)

Answering Machine (The Replacements)

I Don't Wanna Go Down to The Basement (Ramones)

Battery (Metallica)

Coat of Many Colors (Dolly Parton)

The Letter (Box Tops)

any that I missed?

you have missed a lot.these are not songs about inatimate objects. The Letter is a basic love song You are a little confused . Let me help. We are talking songs about objects, not songs with objects in the song title.

When we write lyrics we are not writing a book .Sometimes ,if not most always ,poetry is obtuse ,that is you dont just come right out and say what you mean . I never studied poetry and dont know much about it but I understand a little bit about how it works from years of playing songs and thinking about the words. What you posted here is about the stupidest {censored}ing thing Ive ever read. You think a song is about an object if it has said object in song title. Whats wrong with you?

• Members

you have missed a lot.these are not songs about inatimate objects. The Letter is a basic love song You are a little confused . Let me help. We are talking songs about objects, not songs with objects in the song title.

The letter is about a letter. That's not confusing. Can't I write a love song about a muffler?

How about a song in which I wouldn't have caught my wife in bed with another man, but I got my muffler fixed? He used to climb out the window when they heard me at the end of the street, but this time I snuck up on them?

How about a song about a man who can't express the way he feels about someone because of an emotional "muffler"? On a similar line,hHow about a boy who learns about mufflers from his father, and he realizes his dad really loves him, but "muffles" his expressions of love?

How about a song about leaving home for good in a piece of {censored} car, wherein you leave your bad memories and your muffler at the county line?

These are just off the top of my head, and none of them are as good as "The Letter", but that doesn't mean you aren't a jackass.

• Members

i'm not saying they should be glad that their ancestors went through some msierable times. that would be pretty {censored}ty. what i'm saying is that things turned out for the better and they should be glad for that. yes someone could find it offensive, why should they though?

look alot of places in africa are "under par" food and water shortages, genecide, and civil war. the people who came over here went through hard times but ultimately their children's children got it pretty good compared to where they may or MAY NOT have been.

but you're just gonna turn this into something racist too aren't you.:poke:

So you're saying black people should be happy that their ancestors were slaves, because if they hadn't been they'd still live in Africa? Wow....

Back to the topic of this forum - I think you should go ahead and put that theme to song, buddy. Go over great with this guy for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsC0BCAwkb4&feature=related

• Members

How about a song in which I wouldn't have caught my wife in bed with another man, but I got my muffler fixed? He used to climb out the window when they heard me at the end of the street, but this time I snuck up on them?

This is really very good.

He was a street wise lover.........

• Members

The letter is about a letter. That's not confusing. Can't I write a love song about a muffler?

How about a song about a man who can't express the way he feels about someone because of an emotional "muffler"? On a similar line,hHow about a boy who learns about mufflers from his father, and he realizes his dad really loves him, but "muffles" his expressions of love?

How about a song about leaving home for good in a piece of {censored} car, wherein you leave your bad memories and your muffler at the county line?

These are just off the top of my head, and none of them are as good as "The Letter", but that doesn't mean you aren't a jackass.

You still dont get it. I didnt say you cant use the word muffler in a song . I said you cant write a song about a muffler.see? Your muffler song scenarios wouldnt be about mufflers but about people. The Letter is not about a piece of paper but about a guy going home because his gf. changed her mind like they do and decided hes not so bad after all. It does quote from the Letter, a word or two"she wrote and told me she couldnt live without me no moe" but is not about a piece of paper hermetically sealed in a manilla envolope.It is bout peoples emotions.

• Members

You still dont get it. I didnt say you cant use the word muffler in a song . I said you cant write a song about a muffler.see? Your muffler song scenarios wouldnt be about mufflers but about people. The Letter is not about a piece of paper but about a guy going home because his gf. changed her mind like they do and decided hes not so bad after all. It does quote from the Letter, a word or two"she wrote and told me she couldnt live without me no moe" but is not about a piece of paper hermetically sealed in a manilla envolope.It is bout peoples emotions.

I'm not going to argue with some troglodyte on the internet about what "about" means.

Archived