suggestions for small combo for home use

pmtrub

• Members

Hey guys, can you recommend some small tube combos for home use? I'm getting tired of practicing unplugged when away from the practice space.

I think I'd be willing to spend around $500, what do you think?

Thanks.

• Members

500 is a lot of cash for a home practice amp.

What is it you want to do with it? Practice?...and I mean REALLY rehearse and learn? OR do you just want to jam and have H-CAF approved brootal tone?

Just to practice by myself and bring my pedal board home from the rehearsal space and not have it sound like total poo. I was just tossing a number out there, I like tubes, and figured an entry level tube amp was a bump up in price from a SS. I'm open to SS if there is good support on a particular one.

• Members
Just to practice by myself and bring my pedal board home from the rehearsal space and not have it sound like total poo. I was just tossing a number out there, I like tubes, and figured an entry level tube amp was a bump up in price from a SS. I'm open to SS if there is good support on a particular one.

Okay. With your pedal board....maybe a Fender? And though you want good tone, you won't be cranking it up, and many solid state amps do just fine at low volumes.

I have plenty of big amps here at home, but the one I use most for real honest personal rehearsal is a cheap little $99 Guitar Research 30 watt...you know...the red ones? Just use the clean channel and an old Harmony hollow body. I use it to learn cover songs, chords, scales, etc. When I go to my regular rig...everything comes off much easier and more accurate, as I am previously doing it bare-ass naked... :lol:...and now have all the gold and glitter...so to speak.

There's a lot of amps that would suit you, Vox, Traynor, Tech 21, Fender, Marshall. I think most Fenders work great with pedals....so you might look there first. I wouldn't even worry all that much about tone.....in fact I like having a small, imperfect rig....because the things you do to try to squeeze the best tone out of it will translate to your normal rig and make you better.

Archived