What Do You Guys NOT Like About Booge Dual Rectifiers?

mguts5150

• Members

This is a serious question.

For about a year, I tried the boutique Fenderish amp and a Custom Shop Strat thing, and while it's fun to sit in my room and play along with Stevie Ray Vaughan, when it comes to playing with actual other people, it's not as fun. I'm looking to get back into hard rock and metal , and have always wanted a Dual Rectifier since I was a kid and realized that I now can afford one. So what do you guys think? What sucks about these amps? What's good about them? If you think this amp is no good, what else would you recommend? Woody from Corrosion of Conformity plays one, and I don't really hear his sounds as NU metal, so I'm hoping they're more versatile than most give them credit for. I like to play stuff like COC and Down a lot. Will this amp do that sound? Thanks.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For about a year, I tried the boutique Fenderish amp and a Custom Shop Strat thing, and while it's fun to sit in my room and play along with Stevie Ray Vaughan, when it comes to playing with actual other people, it's not as fun. I'm looking to get back into hard rock and metal , and have always wanted a Dual Rectifier since I was a kid and realized that I now can afford one. So what do you guys think? What sucks about these amps? What's good about them? If you think this amp is no good, what else would you recommend? Woody from Corrosion of Conformity plays one, and I don't really hear his sounds as NU metal, so I'm hoping they're more versatile than most give them credit for. I like to play stuff like COC and Down a lot. Will this amp do that sound? Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with Dual Recs...they're great amps that require some time to dial in your tones. Also, I've noticed that with my Single Rec, that I have to adjust significantly depending on the size of the room.

• Members

Their bass is totally uncontrollable and the there's too much "sand" in the higher frequencies. When you try to dial that {censored} out by turning down the treble, the sound gets muddy.

Thus said, it's a great studio amp, because obviously sound engineers have the knowledge and experience to dial in the sound that's perfect for recordings. I mean, some of the best recordings were made with this amp and people still use them. The thing is, you're probably getting an amp not just for recording but to play on too.. So I'd recommend you try out the cobra instead. It's very close to the DR, but without the abovementioned drawbacks. Also, see if you can get your hands on modded amps. Just my $0.02.

• Members

Woody from Corrosion of Conformity plays one, and I don't really hear his sounds as NU metal, so I'm hoping they're more versatile than most give them credit for.

It's a three channel amp with nine modes- well, current versions- and that's not counting the Roadster/Road King. Red/Modern with the gain cranked up and the mids scooped out is far from the only sound in there.

One of my friends uses a Recto for doomy sludge metal with great results. He prefers Red/Vintage for that tone, FWIW.

That being said, the effects loops give people a hard time. They're tone-suckers, but there's ways around it, or so I've been told.

• Members

I've heard that the EQ isn't like the EQ on most other amps. I guess I'll find out how to work it.

Every one I've heard in person has had the gain cranked. If it's kept low, is the amp clearer sounding?

Start with the controls at noon. They're very interactive and have a pretty wide sweep. They have a lot of gain and bottom end on tap. There's no need to crank those up- they're definitely better with more reasonable settings.

• Members

I don't think they are that hard to dial in at all, unless you refuse to read the manual and want to ignore how the tone stack works.

Gain and presence down, mids up a bit, depending on what you're going for. I loved JJ E34L's in mine.

The clean channel isn't that good, or at least, not that great at 'regular' band levels, and I could never get it's parallel FX loop to work for me, and I'm not alone, that is a common opinion.

It's not the end all be all, (nothing is) but a very good amp in my opinion.

• Members

I don't think they are that hard to dial in at all, unless you refuse to read the manual and want to ignore how the tone stack works.

Gain and presence down, mids up a bit, depending on what you're going for. I loved JJ E34L's in mine.

The clean channel isn't that good, or at least, not that great at 'regular' band levels, and I could never get it's parallel FX loop to work for me, and I'm not alone, that is a common opinion.

It's not the end all be all, (nothing is) but a very good amp in my opinion.

I personally liked the clean channel on them. I've played on a couple of them and really like them. I'm a big fan of really gain-y cleans. The only thing keeping me from Mesa is the price tag.

• Members

1) Flubby bass

2) Too gritty

3) Doesn't cut well in a band mix

4) Almost impossible to dial the "Creed" out of it

5) FX Loop blows!

6) It never sounds the same every time you plug in leading to non-stop tweeking

7) Clean channel is lifeless and dull

Tremonti's my favorite guitar player, so I guess that should be fine. :cop:

• Members

I was planning on starting there, so I guess I'll just move the knobs in small increments to get a feel on how they each affect each other.

Is the tone stack something I'll be able to get a decent handle on when sitting with it in a store?

I would download the manual from Mesa's site, and bring the page or two that talks about the tone controls, and the page of suggested settings and go from there.

• Members

I would download the manual from Mesa's site, and bring the page or two that talks about the tone controls, and the page of suggested settings and go from there.

I just printed those out. Bringing them to the store sure wouldn't hurt though. :thu:

• Members

While tone is subjective, I would venture to say at least half of all Recto haters are just incompetant end users...

• Members

They are too fizzy, over-saturated, and muddy. If you try to EQ the damn thing to compensate, it sounds lifeless. I think you will be much happier if you try out the mark series amps. Now those are AWESOME amps, just have a look around here and you will finds some killer clips made by the guys on this forum. :thu:

• Members

I was planning on starting there, so I guess I'll just move the knobs in small increments to get a feel on how they each affect each other.

Is the tone stack something I'll be able to get a decent handle on when sitting with it in a store?

I'm getting 10% off the Pro Net Price, so I guess that's better than nothing. I'm selling some gear, so I'm hoping I don't have to spend any money from my wallet on it.

How do you think a Dual Rec compares with a JVM which I saw you have in your sig? I would be looking at the 2 channel Jvm.

First let me tell you this.

1. I've never played a Dual Rec.

2. I'm into punk, so that is my reference point. 2 of my favorite 90's punk bands Pennywise and AFI(in the 90's when they sounded like the Misfits not flock of seagulls) both used Dual rec's for some of thier biggest albums both had {censored} tone. Just bland, fizzy, scooped sounding, lifeless cardboard junk tone.

The JVM sounds like a Marshall. Plain and simple. It's a huge upgrade of the JCM2000's IMO. I still own a TSL 100, and have owned a DSL in the past. Marshall and Mesa are apples and oranges. Completly different flavors. That being said IMO, being a Marshall lover I would never suggest buying a Mesa Dual Rec to anyone. It's the total opposite of what I like. I would say, if you want hard rock tones(GNR, ACDC) get a Marshall, If you want classic Metal tones (Maiden, Slayer) get a Marshall, If you want Modern Metal Tones(Carcass, Bullet for my Valentine) get a 5150.

Or get a Splawn, lots of people seem to love those. They are like Marshall's with out as much top end bite and a bigger bottom.

• Members

1) Flubby bass

2) Too gritty

3) Doesn't cut well in a band mix

4) Almost impossible to dial the "Creed" out of it

5) FX Loop blows!

6) It never sounds the same every time you plug in leading to non-stop tweeking

7) Clean channel is lifeless and dull

1)Flubby bass? Don't crank the channel master and bass control

2)Too gritty? Too much gain and treble at the same time

3)Band mix? No problems here.

4)Creed? Again, no problems here.

5)FX? You finally got one right!

6)Tweaking? OK, now you're up to 2 :)

7)Clean Channel? Not the best so I add a chorus pedal and it sounds great.

• Members

Meh, Dual recs are great amps...but they're not for me.

They're a bit less intuitive to dial in, but this gets better as you get to know the amp.

The distortion is...loose (I don't know how to describe it). Especially in the low end. I usually put a boost in the chain somewhere to tighten it up.

They're hard to record and Mic. Something about the voicing that easiliy gets you lost in the mix. It sounds great though when you find a sweet spot.

The clean is also nothing to write home about.

I bought a Diezel VH4 after toying with the Dual Rec for a while and was much, much happier.

• Members

I had a rectifier for a couple of years, and I did find that it would sound great sometimes, but other times it would just sound like crap. That is without changing anything. I tried tubes, different speakers, etc. I bought an ENGL E530 and peavey classic 50/50 while I had the dual rectifier, and it cost me half as much, but sounded much better to me.

But if I was in the market for a dual rectifier there are a couple of Rev F two channel dual rectifiers in the for sale threads selling for around $1200!!!!! One of them has the Mark 3 transformers. I would pick one of those up long before a three channel.

Archived