What Do You Guys NOT Like About Booge Dual Rectifiers?

mguts5150

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This. Moshaholic mentioned it earlier, saying he feels at least half the issues with Rectos are user error.

Agreed.

My RectoVerb always sounds killer and cuts through the mix like a knife.

But then again, I've recorded and mixed a few band's demos/albums, so I know how to dial an amp and what works in a mix vs. what works in a bedroom.

I think Rectos were designed to be flexible - to bastardize an old saying - you've got just enough rope to hang yourself.

• Members

Agreed.

But then again, I've recorded and mixed a few band's demos/albums, so I know how to dial an amp and what works in a mix vs. what works in a bedroom.

I think Rectos were designed to be flexible - to bastardize an old saying - you've got just enough rope to hang yourself.

I think we're talking about DUal Rectifiers...not Tremoverbs...different beasts!

• Members

Agreed.

Every time I look at the amp and think about it's design, it seems like on paper it really is versatile. Hopefully I'll be able to dial it in correctly. I remember someone earlier in the thread said to start out with everything at noon. Is this amp like a Marshall where everything at noon will sound pretty good by itself, or is this just where to start?

Guest Anonymous

I really don't like them because when I rub my d*ck all over them, it gets sore on the head part and sometimes I get burnt if I try to mush it around in the back part.

• Members

They lack useful midrange IMO... the mids are voiced low into the lower midrange, frequencies that in a band mix you'd expect to come from the bass player and the kick drum. The result is a muddy mix and a tone that is percieved to mostly just be the treble fizz.

They have a nice fine grained fizz presence... but if that's all I'm going to hear than I do not want! Give me a Marshally voiced amp, with ample midrange in the frequencies that a guitar SHOULD have, and you will A) Be heard and B) Not walk all over the rest of your band

With that said though for purely recording purposes rectifiers have a great heavy sound.

• Members

Every time I look at the amp and think about it's design, it seems like on paper it really is versatile. Hopefully I'll be able to dial it in correctly. I remember someone earlier in the thread said to start out with everything at noon. Is this amp like a Marshall where everything at noon will sound pretty good by itself, or is this just where to start?

Everything at noon will probably sound pretty decent, though it may be bright and/or bassy depending on your speakers and what channel and mode the amp is set to.

It's an odd tone stack for sure; it's entirely possible you'll wind up with everything in the 11:00-1:00 range give or take, or entirely possible you wind up with some oddball setting. Oh, and turning the treble knob all the way down actually makes the amp brighter than just having it set low. Shifts the mid voicing a bit too. And the orange and red channels don't sound the same, even though they have the same modes.

• Members
That's interesting because the FX Loop is made for Rackmount Devices...not pedals...a huge reason why the FX Loop blows.

Pedals sounds like half the pedal they should be in a Recto Loop.

Hmm, well i dont use a lot of effects.Maybe a little delay or reverb on leads,maybe i dont know what im missing.What does it do to sound like half the pedal?

• Members

That's interesting because the FX Loop is made for Rackmount Devices...not pedals...a huge reason why the FX Loop blows.

Pedals sounds like half the pedal they should be in a Recto Loop.

Since it's made for rackmount devices, does the G-Major sound good with Rectos?

• Members

Hmm, well i dont use a lot of effects.Maybe a little delay or reverb on leads,maybe i dont know what im missing.What does it do to sound like half the pedal?

It's the serial vs parrallel loop thingy.

You never get the full pedal like you would a rack mount processor.

I'm not the "tech guy" but I did spend a lot of time with Mesa to help figure out how to make it sound good.

• Members
Go listen to "The Colour and the Shape" by Foo Fighters and tell me that guitar tone sounds like Korn's.
:cop:

Exactly. Three channels, nine modes, and if all you can get out of it are Limp Bizkit tones or whatever, than you're doing it wrong.

• Members
Go listen to "The Colour and the Shape" by Foo Fighters and tell me that guitar tone sounds like Korn's.

Monkey wrench has some pretty good tone. Never would have guessed that was a Dual Rec.:thu: I'm actually kinda dubious that it is.:cop: I've never heard a Dual Rec that kind of crunch or organicness to.

• Members

Monkey wrench has some pretty good tone. Never would have guessed that was a Dual Rec.
:thu:
I'm actually kinda dubious that it is.
I've never heard a Dual Rec that kind of crunch or organicness to.

Yep, all of the hi-gain tones on that album are Rectifiers. I'm pretty they used EL34's too. Grohl seems to use them live a lot too.

• Members
Yep, all of the hi-gain tones on that album are Rectifiers. I'm pretty they used EL34's too. Grohl seems to use them live a lot too.

I'm not a big Grohl follower or anything, but awhile back I thought I saw a Roadking in his backline when I happened to see him on tv. :lol:

• Members

It's true you can get Recto's to make some crazy sounds. Foo Fighters is a killer example, but thats not why I dislike them. The "Dual Recto" stamp on my voice as a player is too much and not transparent enough for me to really like them, as useful as they are. (Gorilla analogy etc etc.)

-Curtis

Archived