Philips is bringing back teh t00bz in hifi

metalfanat1c

• Members

Kind of cool but it just has some tubes in the preamp section, not really a tube hi-fi system. I agree more of a marketing gimmick then anything else.

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if the preamp was made up of 12AX7s running at starved voltages and back-lit with LEDs.

Of course, the side effect may be that this will reinvigorate interest in REAL tube-driven HiFi, and lead to the resurgence of well-designed, affordable, all-tube stereo gear.

A guy can dream.

• Members

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if the preamp was made up of 12AX7s running at starved voltages and back-lit with LEDs.

Of course, the side effect may be that this will reinvigorate interest in REAL tube-driven HiFi, and lead to the resurgence of well-designed, affordable, all-tube stereo gear.

A guy can dream.

Probably. Although, in the reviews some people complain about a warm-up time... so the tubes are definitely doing a job there.

• Members
This.

A guy can dream.

:lol:

• Members
Cool. Speaking of this, how do speakers made from neodymium sound?

Neodymium is a magnetic substance... so it reacts against the voice coil of a speaker in a similar fashion to ferrite, but these speakers are typically a whole lot lighter and take up less space. Typically, the neodymium magnet will have a slightly reduced magnetic range, which means in a driver designed with excursion and decent bass response in mind, the voice coil will leave the magnetic gap resulting in distortion. :)

• Members

yep.. i audio nerd, and probably nuts.

but i'd BET that's lights... i'd be WAY more inclined to see a schematic before i deem it real...

i like the ribbon tweets.

meanwhile-- neodymium is just a magnet type-- way high gauss/weight ratio. they can sound pretty badass.. i use neodymium compression drivers and they sound good-- but there's a lot more afoot than just the magnet insofar as how they sound!

EDIT: jinx!

• Members

but i'd BET that's lights... i'd be WAY more inclined to see a schematic before i deem it real...

meanwhile-- neodymium is just a magnet type-- way high gauss/weight ratio. they can sound pretty badass.. i use neodymium compression drivers and they sound good-- but there's a lot more afoot than just the magnet insofar as how they sound!

Agreed.

• Members

lemme guess...vinyl sounds better than cds?

• Members

Actually, I found this discussion/description of the tube section and mod suggestions:

http://www.tubecad.com/2007/12/blog0127.htm

It's halfway down the page. It looks like B+ is 200v, but the signal gets pretty heavily attenuated before AND after the tube stages.

The tube stage is a somewhat competent, but nonetheless rather silly affair, with the 12AX7 working in a low-gain, high-feedback line stage amplifier.

Interesting, nonetheless.

• Members

lemme guess...vinyl sounds better than cds?

ONLY providing you have: clean vinyl, a well set up table (a well protracted arm that's weighted accurately, and not tracking wierdly) a good sounding cart, and a decent preamp. providing those things, absolutely every time.

cds can sound awesome. provided they're carefully set up as well. they're just a LOT easier to set up 'cause it's all done for you!

• Members
Neodymium is a magnetic substance... so it reacts against the voice coil of a speaker in a similar fashion to ferrite, but these speakers are typically a whole lot lighter and take up less space. Typically, the neodymium magnet will have a slightly reduced magnetic range, which means in a driver designed with excursion and decent bass response in mind, the voice coil will leave the magnetic gap resulting in distortion.
:)

Really? That's odd considering neodymium as a material has a greatly enhanced magnetic range and power compared to ferrite or alinco. It's the fact that neodymium is so powerful that allows so much less of it to be used to manufacture speakers and motors of much reduced size with similar amounts of power.

I guess in a cheaply made speaker corners could be cut to use less then the desired sized magnet to result in gaps though, but this shouldn't be the case with a properly designed speaker.

-W

• Members

I don't see how adding a preamp tube could make a stereo system more "HiFi". The last thing I want to hear introduced to the signal coming out from my stereos is some distortion or abnormal skews in the frequency response (for "warmth"). That's nice in guitar amps you really want to overdrive but pretty much reduntant and annoying in HiFi gear, IMO.

• Members

I don't see how adding a preamp tube could make a stereo system more "HiFi". The last thing I want to hear introduced to the signal coming out from my stereos is some distortion or abnormal skews in the frequency response (for "warmth"). That's nice in guitar amps you really want to overdrive but pretty much reduntant and annoying in HiFi gear, IMO.

nah-- tubes are pretty linear devices if they're used within their specified operating range!

it's really a very different world, tube hifi... freakin' a LOT of work, and just as much as guitar amps! totally different-- but if you do it WELL.. which takes just as much fuss as setting up a great guitar rig-- it can be pretty transcendant...

but like any tube sonics... constantly changing...

i'd have y' over for a beer to hear a tube setup if y' were closer!

• Members

Really? That's odd considering neodymium as a material has a greatly enhanced magnetic range and power compared to ferrite or alinco. It's the fact that neodymium is so powerful that allows so much less of it to be used to manufacture speakers and motors of much reduced size with similar amounts of power.

I guess in a cheaply made speaker corners could be cut to use less then the desired sized magnet to result in gaps though, but this shouldn't be the case with a properly designed speaker.

-W

How many home audio speakers are properly designed? About 7% in today's market... especially with neodymium drivers. The fact is, in the sizes typically used in drivers today, the magnetic field produced is simply not enough. Now in a properly designed speaker, all things would be perfect, would they not?

You go to great lengths to prove me wrong whilst not taking notice of the frequency that neodymium drivers are currently designed to reproduce. Most woofers or subwoofers are still using ferrite magnets, whereas a good lot of tweeters are using neodymium magnets.

• Members
I tried to stir the pot to produce a vinyl vs. cd {censored}storm and instead we get this? Oh well...at least it's a {censored}storm

:snax:

{censored} man.. application is everything... and i'm not gonna argue with you 'bout formats... thats so 1990... :lol:

you want a {censored}storm, talk about gun bans...

Archived