Marshall JMP-1 vs. ADA MP-1 vs. ENGL e530

JnBroadbent

• Members

I just sat there strumming big chords with my ADA for a few hours before I moved on to shredding. In harmonics they are pretty much only standing around next to the Mark series. Marshalls and rectos would be on the furthest point from there, buzzy, sharp, and narrow.

Good marshall =/= buzzy, sharp, and narrow

• Members

High gain is all we do.

Good marshall =/= buzzy, sharp, and narrow

Compared to Mesa Mark series and ADA they are. Besides, I was trying to quantify a basic nature of the gain, and included the recto and marshall together when they clearly have totally different tonalities. Someone that loves mark series over Marshall's and dislikes rectos would, I think, know what I'm driving at with the buzzy, sharp, narrow. It's a constrast to liquid, smooth and broad, a desription I've never seen applied to a Marshall(aside from some of the silly molten liquid lead type comments in industry reviews and ads)

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Meh, Get the Rockmaster and ADA for under 500 total. I've got a Rockmaster for leads, an ENGL 530 for Rhythms, and the ADA for cleans. Its a fridge but it sounds lovely! Cheers, Lucius

NOTE: Any one of those pres will do well for almost any genre.

• Members

i don't know how you could call a dual rec "narrow". explain that?

one of my buddies has an E530, and it sounds great. Good cleans, the lead channel is modern and sounds excellent. The four band EQ instead of 3 band allows for a good deal of flexibility.

I've never heard a JMP1 or an MP1 in person. You should also check out the Mesa Studio and/or Quad.

• Members

Well the best preamp that I ever played for the $500.00 budget was a used Rocktron Prophesy. It can sound like just about anything you want it to if you dig deep enough with the parametric eq's. It's much better then the Standard MP-1 or the "Classic" . Better then Rocktron VV and Pirahna. It was on par with my buddies Triaxis that he had at the time but it also had great built in effects. I play a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx now which is much better then the Prophesy but it's also 3 times the price. Even used. One last note about ADA. I had REALLY bad reliability luck with them!!! I wouldn't even THINK about gigging with one!

• Members

does the MP1 have any drop-out or delay when switching presets, or is it instantaneous?

There's a slight dropout going from the tube clean voicing to the tube distortion voicing. Guys that use the SS voicing for clean say there's no dropout going from that to tube distortion, but I don't know personally because I don't use the SS voicing.

Staying within the voicings, or going from tube distortion to tube clean isn't a problem..only going up from tube clean to tube distortion.

Archived