Marshall JMP-1 vs. ADA MP-1 vs. ENGL e530

JnBroadbent

• Members

FWIW, the JMP-1 patch on my Vetta is in my top 5 patches. I love it. And the strange thing is, I think the JMP-1 circuit has some solid state clipping in it, which I normally do not prefer. I don't know how it is with lo gain, but for hi gain it is thick, tight, and responds very well to palm mutes.

• Members

Id make it between the marshall and the ada.... I wouldnt know where to go from there till I compare both.

Owned both, sold the JMP-1. ADA's cleans are waaayyyy better and the crunch has more "sparkle" and harmonics for lack of a better description.

• Members

No way..... thats kinda of a relief since the ada is less expensive

Others will disagree, just my personal opinion. :thu: The JMP-1 isn't a bad preamp at all, lots of big names used them including Def Leppard and I think Megadeth for a little while. I just really :love: my MP-1's.

• Members

My Mp-1 Peavey 60/60 setup sounds 95% as good as my Mark III. It can definitely do a nice metal sound, but don't expect it to sound like a modern metal amp. It's got a modified marshall thing going on.

Haha well I do play a GP1000 which has as much as gain as an unboosted plexi. :lol:

• Members

Mind you though, in my experience the JMP-1 can sound quite different depending on the rest of the setup. It sounds mediocre into the effect return of my Peavey Classic 30, and not much better back when I ran it into the effect return on an old Mesa Boogie Mark IIB with a 2x12 Trace Elliot cab.

These days I run it with a Mesa 50/50 dedicated poweramp, a Gmajor for effects, and a 2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab with V30's... The metal tones from this setup are AWESOME. And it can cover so many other styles as well, the setup is extremely versatile.

I honestly dont think I'd switch it for anything less than a Triaxis or Engl 570, or a MIDI switchable high-end amp like Diezel. I'm addicted to the versatility.

• Members

You left out the Rockmaster. I recently A/B'd my Rockmaster against my JMP-1 and was a bit dissapointed my newly acquired JMP-1 seemed bested by the Rockmaster. I set them both up thru identical G12-65 cabs and split my C50/50. Then I dialed in each and A/B'd them in real time. I have a new found respect for my Rockmaster and still dig the JMP-1 too. Being midi controlled the JMP-1 is definately more flexible though.Bob

• Members

You left out the Rockmaster. I recently A/B'd my Rockmaster against my JMP-1 and was a bit dissapointed my newly acquired JMP-1 seemed bested by the Rockmaster. I set them both up thru identical G12-65 cabs and split my C50/50. Then I dialed in each and A/B'd them in real time. I have a new found respect for my Rockmaster and still dig the JMP-1 too. Being midi controlled the JMP-1 is definately more flexible though.Bob

Good call.

I've had two rockmasters and they were a bit dry. Kinda stale for tweedly tweedly stuff

• Members

Good call.

I've had two rockmasters and they were a bit dry. Kinda stale for tweedly tweedly stuff

I loaed mine with 4 -1959 Mullard long plates. It really warmed it up and helped with the clean and lower gain stuff. That said higher gain is its forte. Bob

• Members

Owned both, sold the JMP-1. ADA's cleans are waaayyyy better and the crunch has more "sparkle" and harmonics for lack of a better description.

I just sat there strumming big chords with my ADA for a few hours before I moved on to shredding. In harmonics they are pretty much only standing around next to the Mark series. Marshalls and rectos would be on the furthest point from there, buzzy, sharp, and narrow.

Archived