Most underated AMPS ?

Crunchtime

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I honestly hate to see these threads because the second someone selling one sees it the price goes up, like awhile back when Crate Vintage Clubs were "discovered" suddenly it seemed like the price doubled.

No {censored}, Thefyn posted that clip of him rocking out is 20 watt VCand everyone just came all over themselves.!! I've had my VC5212 since before that clip and I tell you I love that thing. It gives that old Marshall crunch to the tee. Put JJs in the power section andget wicked gain for what it is!

• Members

Probably because most MusicMan Amps had a solidstate preamp. I heard a OLD Music Man all tube job its stock 6CA7s at local practice room, dude was playing slide on an acoustic and it was making for some wicked Mississippi delta blues groovin. The dude has the 2x12 combo ontop of a matching 2x12 cabinet I also would put the AMpeg VL series and the Crate Stealths. The bastard step children of Marshall designed by Lee Jackson. The Stealth and VL503 are my favorites of those. I want to find a VL503 for myself and would not mind getting another Stealth. I had one back in the day and loved it. Hate that hoky ass fuzzy crap they used to wrapp them in though looked like a carpet amp.

• Members

Probably not a popular choice, but the Vypyr 75 sounds amazing with the right settings and a good guitarist. I loaned mine to a friend and her ear could match the settings to just about any tube amp out there the amp was capable of getting close to. She can make it sound beautiful.

• Members

Those were the dogs danglies back in the early 90's. Hardly underrated. Vito Bratta got some amazing tones from the MP-1.

I guess I Based underated by todays world.

The fact that no one ever talks about them and that they consistantly go for used in the $150 - $250 range.

• Members

I guess I Based underated by todays world.

The fact that no one ever talks about them and that they consistantly go for used in the $150 - $250 range.

The fact that ADA went out of business puzzles me. Great products. Idiot musician consumers. I still have my MP-1. The only reason I don't use it is because Im using a combo. I usually use it when I need a full stack.

• Members

Crate "Tube Driven 30" (1 X 10") and "Tube Driven 35" (1 X 12")...a very versatile club amp in a compact size.

Goes from a "Fender Clean" to
awesome
overdrive, due to it's tube preamp.

I used to own the TD70. It was pretty nice sounding! I eventually sold it to one of my buddies.

• Members

Laney in general... though the Lion Hearts are getting some love...

I'd say the Matchless Chieftain... the price tag throws people, but for just 3d, Swirly INSANE clean to mildly overdriven tones... I jizz...I jizz....

I'd also motion that the Crate Blue VooDoo can be usefule for lots of stuff from pop rock to shradding metal up your tooter...

-Curtis

• Members

For lead & rhythm guitar duty few things match up with the Laney VH100R, Genz Benz El Diablo 100 & the XXX.

The VH100 can be a little noisy, but man does that just exude killer tones.

As does the Genz Benz El Diablo! It has great articulation, great note definition, a huge amount of gain, and can cover any tone I need/hear. The active EQ requires dialing in the tone with your ears and not your eyes though--too many folks are obsessed with the "o'clocks" and can't venture beyond the "formula".

The XXX handles it all too! The clean is a little sterile I guess, but it is clean. The two gain channels can be used as a rhythm (ultra) and lead (crunch w its better mid attack), or the built in volume boost-er I mean loop!

I won't be w/o either 3 of those amps.

Derek

Archived