Friday Influences Thread 08.21.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I watched Into Great Silence this week. While giving me a hankering for Chartreuse (buying a bottle would be a form of tithing), I've been considering how I use silence, space, negative space, what have you in my music. The intro to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony contains rests.

If you haven't seen the movie, I'd say that visually and musically it is a bit like a Koyaanisqatsi for Catholics, though I'd imagine anyone with an interior life would gather something from it.

[YOUTUBE]sgNj2Sf_mgo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Interesting idea for a film

The examples I always use to explain the importance of space in music to students are Beethovan's 5th, which you mentioned and on the opposite end of the spectrum, Keith Richards esc guitar parts. :D

This one got my attention this week and had me spending more time at the piano. I didnt know he was such a good player

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

ROCK!!!!!!! The chordal guitar riff. Not that single note line played though an overly distorted amp. With a guitar with a pointy headstock that says, "I have no testicles so I drive a red sports car and attempt to play an Ibanez (as long as the distortion obliterates my ineptitude)", but the kind of riff writing BALLS that says, 'Mississippi qua-ee-een, you know what mean!!!" Then the drums come in and you're enslaved to that thing... Here's an American and a Brit version of what I'm talking about. No {censored}, comic book, preamp distorted, pansy heavy metal here... just real ROCK... not for pussies...

[YOUTUBE]qFhM1XZsh6o[/YOUTUBE]

And...

[YOUTUBE]NVOoVnQlcwQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Finally got around to hearing The Velvet Underground ... the one with the Warhol banana on the cover. Amazing and amazed that it took me so long to finally get around to hearing The Velvet Underground.

Wow - you've been missing out. Score one for FIT.

• Members

i'm hungry for chinese food. i'd say that's influencing me more than anything else right now. i'll probably eat korean, because that's what i have at home. how disappointing.

For lunch, I had some Chinese shrimp dish called Sambal Shrimp ... I never knew that Chinese food used sambal. For din-din, I had a bento box from a local sushi joint and watched Rashomon with a friend who'd never seen it.

I think my tastes in music often closely correspond with my taste for food. I'm reading a bunch of Basho, so I'll probably be on the Japanese food and film and music (J-POP!!! or what) and lit kick for a bit.

Archived