What is the best passive pickup for mahogany body guitars?

SG-DAWG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe we're on page 3 & NO ONE metioned the Dimarzio Super Distortion. I love that pickup in Les Pauls ... it was made for mahogany bodied guitars. Just curious, what is there not to like about this pickup ??

HT

It sounds a little rough for my liking in mahogany. I do like it in basswood, however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
It's drop D tuning, so no biggie there. The tone was creamy and fuzzy, due to hitting whatever I played into with a lot of bass. When I put an evolution into the guitar it was perfect. This guitar was mahogany neck thru, with a mahogany neck. I have an evolution in a mahogany-bodied warmoth with a maple neck and it sounds great in that as well. Very clear and tight. Someone commented once that the neck thru guitar with the tone zone sounded very "stoner". It's intended for use in bright guitars where you want a hot tone.

Hey man, so I balked on the Tone Zone and got an Evo. You are correct: Clear and tight.

So I have the Evo (bridge) with the '61 in the middle and Air Norton S in the neck. Pretty much covers my every need. It's amazing.

Thanks for mentioning the Evo :love:

• Members

I just got another SG and would like to try a passive.normally im a emg 81 guy,i dont want anything muddy but i do want thick.I play Heavy rock/metal but not death or black metal.any suggestions?

Wolfetone Fenris. It's like a JB but with smoother top end and tighter low end. I put one in my Les Paul and that guitar rips. You'll thank me later :)

wolfetone.com

• Members
Hey man, so I balked on the Tone Zone and got an Evo. You are correct: Clear and tight.

So I have the Evo (bridge) with the '61 in the middle and Air Norton S in the neck. Pretty much covers my every need. It's amazing.

Thanks for mentioning the Evo
:love:

No prob, glad you like it!

• Members

im gonna go ahead and recommend the mo'joe again as an alternative to the JB.

i've been playing this p/u in my RG (mahogany- a rich mahogany lol) but it's similar to the JB, but i t has a tighter bottom end,which i like.

i have to say the mo'joe delivers what it's advertised to - which is to be "all about the tone" :cop:

it's like a JB with a tighter bottom end, and smoothed off highs.

• Members

I had a mahogony ibanez VBT V-Blade w/ DiMarzio D-Activators in it...sounded great. Perfect, really. I really shoulda' never sold that one.

Currently, I have a Schecter C7 Hellraiser thats mahogany and has EMG 707TW's in it. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I really think this may be the best sounding guitar I've personally ever owned. At first I was thinking I may swap the bridge PU w/ an 81-7 but after recording a few takes w/ it stock, I think the 707's are a keeper. HUGE sound! For a sixer, an EMG 85 would get similar results probably, as it's fairly close to the 707, so you may wanna try that.

FWIW, I can see a DiMarzio Evoltion or X2N working great in mahogony. Never tried them in a mahogany axe (though I've had them in basswood, and nato), but I think they'd mesh well, givin' there properties.

Archived