What is the best passive pickup for mahogany body guitars?

SG-DAWG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dimarzio Tone Zone/bridge; Air Norton/neck. This combo worked out well for well for me in an Ibanez Artist series. The Tone Zone ROCKED - lotsa mids and definition. The Air Norton was a little bassy, but woody and very thick.

Look into this combo.

• Members

Tone Zone in mahogany is much too dark IMO. It sounded like a fuzz pedal when I used it.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Tone Zone for a mahogany strat-style guitar. Can you explain the "fuzz pedal" tone you were getting? What tunings? Dark and bassy is not what I'm after, so your post has me curious.

• Members

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Tone Zone for a mahogany strat-style guitar. Can you explain the "fuzz pedal" tone you were getting? What tunings? Dark and bassy is not what I'm after, so your post has me curious.

Thanks
:wave:

It's drop D tuning, so no biggie there. The tone was creamy and fuzzy, due to hitting whatever I played into with a lot of bass. When I put an evolution into the guitar it was perfect. This guitar was mahogany neck thru, with a mahogany neck. I have an evolution in a mahogany-bodied warmoth with a maple neck and it sounds great in that as well. Very clear and tight. Someone commented once that the neck thru guitar with the tone zone sounded very "stoner". It's intended for use in bright guitars where you want a hot tone.

• Members

I absolutely love the SDs in my Schecter S1.

They have a real aggressive bark to them without sounding "honky" and they're pretty tight sounding imo (but I don't really play a whole lot of percussive djent whatever prog of the month {censored})

• Members

It's drop D tuning, so no biggie there. The tone was creamy and fuzzy, due to hitting whatever I played into with a lot of bass. When I put an evolution into the guitar it was perfect. This guitar was mahogany neck thru, with a mahogany neck. I have an evolution in a mahogany-bodied warmoth with a maple neck and it sounds great in that as well. Very clear and tight. Someone commented once that the neck thru guitar with the tone zone sounded very "stoner". It's intended for use in bright guitars where you want a hot tone.

Gotcha. Well, my mahog guitar is a bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and it sounds pretty bright in the bridge, so I'll go ahead and try the TZ on it. If I get your fuzz symptom, maybe a 1 meg pot will help tame that.

Thanks for the input, man

Anyone have an opinion on an Air Norton S in the neck and an Area '67 in the middle for mahogany?

• Members

The Doug Aldrich is my FAVORITE passive pickup. I have it in all my PRS guitars (mahogany), except for one, which has EMGs :thu:

IMO, it has the perfect high gain passive pickup. Yet, it is versatile enough to cover all other grounds. It's clear, it's HUGE, and it rocks. It's weird to explain a pickup in such a way, but it has all the tone of a medium output pup, with the feel of a high output one.

It's perfect....I only have EMGs in one guitar for that SICK snarl when I want to get REALLY REALLY REALLY metal. The Aldrich handle everything just fine though.

I do have an extra one lying around if you want it. PM me if so.

• Members

+1 to Rio Grandes, they always sound GREAT in SGs. I'm moving away from the Custom Customs - looking for a little more low end. I've found I really like the Alternative 8s, but they took me awhile to get used to, and won't be everyone's cup of tea. A lot of output, a ton of low end, and a very smooth top end with a kind of raspy mid thing that I really like, but some people hate.

• Members

The Doug Aldrich is my FAVORITE passive pickup. I have it in all my PRS guitars (mahogany), except for one, which has EMGs
:thu:

IMO, it has the perfect high gain passive pickup. Yet, it is versatile enough to cover all other grounds. It's clear, it's HUGE, and it rocks. It's weird to explain a pickup in such a way, but it has all the tone of a medium output pup, with the feel of a high output one.

It's perfect....I only have EMGs in one guitar for that SICK snarl when I want to get REALLY REALLY REALLY metal. The Aldrich handle everything just fine though.

I do have an extra one lying around if you want it. PM me if so.

Couldn't have put it better. The Aldrich is just pure win. :thu: Massive tone and incredibly clear even with the gain wound way up.

Archived