Best Pantera album?

mike moriarty

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Great Southern Trendkill is the heaviest record recorded, VDOP is close with FBD, but TGSTK is heaviest, I've been into bands like Morbid angel and Immolation, and all the rest of the death metal scene has to offer, yet they are just faster,
nothing is heavier than Pantera, NOTHING
, I don't care what any of you think or say or do, I'd bet that 90% of you people didn't even like Pantera until after Dime was murdered, but I've seen them 10 times live and I can honestly say, nothing heavier, EVER. The reinventing the steel tour was insane, all the flames and explosions! Holy {censored}

C

:facepalm::lol:

I voted CFH btw

• Members

1. Far Beyond Driven - this album is honest, perfection, they took out the remnants of 80's sound on this and created an entirely new sound, one that is heard in every metal band today. This album more so than Vulgar. I mean the first song has a breakdown. You show this to a 20 year old metalcore clown and he would be like "wow, who is this?? this is incredible!" you show the same kid master of puppets and he would say it sounds like a good classic rock album. Metallica changed metal guitar, Pantera changed metal vocals

2. Vulgar Display of power - they should remix this album

TGST and Cowboys are tied. TGST was light years ahead of its time. Cowboys had serious grooving through and through. Shredding solos and cool drum grooves- also should be remixed.

so I went off on a tangent and didnt answer the question. :facepalm:

• Members
1. Far Beyond Driven - this album is honest, perfection, they took out the remnants of 80's sound on this and created an entirely new sound, one that is heard in every metal band today. This album more so than Vulgar. I mean the first song has a breakdown. You show this to a 20 year old metalcore clown and he would be like "wow, who is this?? this is incredible!" you show the same kid master of puppets and he would say it sounds like a good classic rock album. Metallica changed metal guitar, Pantera changed metal vocals

2. Vulgar Display of power - they should remix this album

TGST and Cowboys are tied. TGST was light years ahead of its time. Cowboys had serious grooving through and through. Shredding solos and cool drum grooves- also should be remixed.

so I went off on a tangent and didnt answer the question.
:facepalm:

Must Share my Far Beyond Driven story!!!

when me and my brother were 12 and 13, we stole $20 from my moms purse during summer vacation and walked about 6 miles to a CD warehouse. we looked for hours on end, cause we had neve been in a cd shop like that before. At the time we listened to hip hop and r&b just cause thats we heard all the time, but when we saw the album cover for Far Beyond Driven we like :confused: wtf? so we bought it out of shear curiosity and walked the 6 miles back home and opened it up.
CD warehouse uses numbers to catalogue there CDs, and put them on tape under the CD. Well, when we took our CD out, it was written, clear as day,

When your a preteen thats some weird {censored}. we couldnt get the CD in the player fast enough. We turned it on, cranked the volume to 11, and sat down to listen. Right after the first decending riff, when the vocals come in on "strength beyond strength" :eek: we both sprang off the couch and were jumping around like madmen to what was coming out of those speakers.

then our mom came walking the door for lunch....long story short, she put is on counseling....very christian familiy btw. :cop::cop::cop:

Anyway, that was the moment in my life when music (and metal) became my focus.

TL;DR: strength beyond strength changed my life

• Members

VDP will always be my top favorite for Pantera. That album was my intro to Pantera and changed the way I looked at Guitar and even Metal. Dime is and will always be my largest influence for playing guitar.

FBD and Trendkill are close seconds. Both are crazy heavy.

RTS I think is a phenominal album for them. It was a good album for the band to end on IMO.

• Members

I absolutely {censored}ign adore Cowboys from hell. Yes the name is stupid. Matter of fact here is my Pantera story. Back in the 90s there was this thing called Columbia House, well you would buy tapes and get a bunch on discount and they had this huge catalog with lots of metal {censored}. So I got the albums I wanted but still had to make up my quota of another 10 or so. Cowboys was in that set of albums.

A few months later I was watching MTV and there was this video called Cemetary Gates. When I saw that video my hair stood on end and my skin tingled. It was massively beautiful but at the same time one of the most brutal songs I ever heard.

I listened to that album about 1000 times since then and every song is a {censored}ing winner. So much atmosphere, guts, and everything.

Yes Pantera is missed.

• Members

Anyway, that was the moment in my life when music (and metal) became my focus.

TL;DR: strength beyond strength changed my life

Same thing happened to me with Battery on Master of Puppets. That mellow intro, followed by the first abrupt, explosive blast of distortion...that's black magic right there.

• Members

VDP will always be my top favorite for Pantera. That album was my intro to Pantera and changed the way I looked at Guitar and even Metal. Dime is and will always be my largest influence for playing guitar.

RTS I think is a phenominal album for them. It was a good album for the band to end on IMO.

i pretty much like them all but i think i am in the minority thinking far beyond driven is the weakest just too much posturing and trying to be the most aggresive act ever i find

• Members

i pretty much like them all but i think i am in the minority thinking far beyond driven is the weakest just too much posturing and trying to be the most aggresive act ever i find

the thing is - phil anselmo was straight up and there wasnt any posturing. everyone since has been obviously a poseur. Every metal band since has had a shaved head front man, angry vox, screaming about stupid things. His lyrics had substance and he simply invented the entire vocal style of today's metal. That album is just straight up brutal- innovative, honest, and original. I truly think it is one of the ONLY metal albums, from one of the ONLY metal bands to ever be. {censored} 99% of everything else. Lamb of God are the best that we can come up with?? I mean they're good but... kids don't know what's REALLY good any more. Strength Beyond Strength is one of the best metal songs ever written. The album is THAT aggressive because he was 25 years old, {censored}ing angry at seemingly important things, and invented a style of vocals that everyone since has simply imitated. It's like the Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar tone - you can't get away with using it and sound the least bit original...

• Members

the thing is - phil anselmo was straight up and there wasnt any posturing. everyone since has been obviously a poseur. Every metal band since has had a shaved head front man, angry vox, screaming about stupid things. His lyrics had substance and he simply invented the entire vocal style of today's metal. That album is just straight up brutal- innovative, honest, and original. I truly think it is one of the ONLY metal albums, from one of the ONLY metal bands to ever be. {censored} 99% of everything else. Lamb of God are the best that we can come up with?? I mean they're good but... kids don't know what's REALLY good any more. Strength Beyond Strength is one of the best metal songs ever written. The album is THAT aggressive because he was 25 years old, {censored}ing angry at seemingly important things, and invented a style of vocals that everyone since has simply imitated. It's like the Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar tone - you can't get away with using it and sound the least bit original...

Absolutely. Phil shaped modern metal into what it is today. There would be no Killswitch Engage, Unearth, ect. without Pantera. Bands these days are half assed representations of what bands like Pantera, Fear Factory, and Machinehead were doing in the 90's.

Archived