Friday Influences Thread 09.25.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I had Hot Wheels and Matchbox toy cars when I was kid -- and I loved them! Hours and hours of entertainment, they were far more fascinating than Pong. I found a copy of Kraftwerk's Autobahn in my record collection. I don't recall it being given to me, and I don't recall anyone in my house ever listening to it. I'd bet my dad bought it after some kind of stereophile magazine review, but I really haven't a clue.

20+ minutes of synth propelled German progressive rock -- and it was all about the wide open freedom of the Autobahn. The I IV Vs were all over the place as were the sounds of car doors and cars zooming around. And it was in a language that I knew Beethoven spoke.

[YOUTUBE]68C-r9kSLNE[/YOUTUBE]

Not an easy album to discuss with your Dallas Elementary Public School friends: "Hey, have y'all heard Kraftwerk?" The silence and perplexity I received from that question have been repeated throughout my music listening life.

• Members

My guitar lesson last week covered "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)". It's an interesting song - you can almost see jazz harmony being created before your eyes, the combination of western and blues tonalities begin assembled into a whole new approach. Also, the "do-wop do-wop do-wop do-wop" section is pure genius.

As a soloist, it is a difficult song to navigate - you can't really grab a key and get comfortable (at least I can't) - I pretty much had to follow the main melody line and incorporate a short fill here or there.

[YOUTUBE]qDQpZT3GhDg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Week 3 of Willie Nelson. I found Stardust on CD (only had it on record) and have been playing it to and from work. Great old standards. My favorite at this moment is "Unchained Melody" (Oh, my love, my darling, I hunger for your touch...).

I always thought the title was a reference to the soaring nature of the song's melody, so my mind was blown when I read (on Wikipedia) that the tune was actually an instrumental piece written for a prison movie named, you guessed it, "Unchained". Words were added later. Sweetest prison-movie theme song ever?

• Members

I recently re-discovered, so to speak, the Afghan Whigs' Gentlemen. It's one of my personal favorite albums but, up until a couple of days ago, I hadn't listened to it in a long time. The lyrics are a bit more aggressive than anything I'd feel comfortable writing .... maybe that's why I like them, because they have a lot of bite. And musically, it's such a strong album from start to finish.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I got on a Michael Martin Murphey kick earlier in the week.

One of these is 1980's schlock-ola. One is a 1970's Newgrass classic.

I love both of them. If you put a gun to my head and asked me which

one I wish I had written, I'd say "Disenchanted". But I'm a wannabe

schlock-meister myself.

What a great songwriter. I have a real inferiority complex when I hear

this guy's songs.

Rcx33eDxAC0

c3J1J61VsYM

• Members

Tim O'Brien this week. Some of his songs have such beautiful melodies that feel so---hmm. Immutable, inevitable. Like there's no other way that melody could have sounded. "Late in the Day" (back when he was with Hot Rize) comes to mind. Unfortunately, it's not on youtube.

But "Just Like You" is.

[YOUTUBE]llH-dyIi56Q[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I took an afternoon nap today. Interesting, I had a dream just before I awoke.

In my dream, this song was playing.

mDBLg4TYN1U

I was almost conscious of it. I recall it playing almost from the beginning

to the end. But it was all in my dream. On my little street, nobody

plays English-language music & certainly not Steely Dan.

I heard my GF open the door and I awoke on the fade.

• Members

...I was almost conscious of it. I recall it playing almost from the beginning

to the end. But it was all in my dream. On my little street, nobody

plays English-language music & certainly not Steely Dan.

I heard my GF open the door and I awoke on the fade.

You may be mistaken.

Such a synchronistic segue suggests that this is the dream.

^_-

Archived