Played the new Vox Night Train yesterday

Kassanova

• Members

th_NT15H_front.jpg

Whoa! What a sweet tone! That little 15-watter is nice! The head is heavy. I was surprised when I picked it up because its so small. Its a nice little amp. The controls are fairly simple (as they should be) but give you a lot of control over your sound. I didn't crank it to monster levels in the store (I hate doing that) but it still sounded sweet.

Guitar Center's corporate control over pricing hurts items like this. This is one of those amps where it would be a great buy if you can get a sweet deal on it but at their standard pricing of $500, I might not buy it. Its not likely going to be any gigging guitar player's main amp but it is a nice piece; especially for recording. Vox keeps their quality at a decent level for the most part.

• Members
th_NT15H_front.jpg

Whoa! What a sweet tone! That little 15-watter is nice! The head is heavy. I was surprised when I picked it up because its so small. Its a nice little amp. The controls are fairly simple (as they should be) but give you a lot of control over your sound. I didn't crank it to monster levels in the store (I hate doing that) but it still sounded sweet.

Guitar Center's corporate control over pricing hurts items like this. This is one of those amps where it would be a great buy if you can get a sweet deal on it but at their standard pricing of $500, I might not buy it. Its not likely going to be any gigging guitar player's main amp but it is a nice piece; especially for recording. Vox keeps their quality at a decent level for the most part.

i'd pay $500 for it, AND it would be my main gigging amp.

but i'm psyched to hear the really may NOT have skimped on the iron!

woot!

• Members

I keep vacillating on my gain tone with my Mesa- more crunch and zing, or more sludge and girth? And I heart Vox's clean tones in general. The obvious solution is to get this, sit it on top of the Mesa, give it its own pair of Greenbacks and run both at once. Problem. Solved. No?

• Members

I keep vacillating on my gain tone with my Mesa- more crunch and zing, or more sludge and girth? And I heart Vox's clean tones in general. The obvious solution is to get this, sit it on top of the Mesa, give it its own pair of Greenbacks and run both at once. Problem. Solved. No?

my god... that with an a/b/y?

sheeit.... put a pair of blues on the other half of the cab.. how much better could it get in a majorly compact form?!

you really gotta hear the viking pillager we had at the DC ampfest... holy {censored}...

vox/hiwatt awesomeness WITH some saturation... still $1700, but man, what a monster... he may be coming out with a single channel unit, in which case, i'll probably sell everything not tied down...

• Members

i'd pay $500 for it, AND it would be my main gigging amp.

but i'm psyched to hear the really may NOT have skimped on the iron!

woot!

+1. If i were the amp buying type, this would be the main amp i would looking at for the (non-metal) sounds i like. I would love to hear it in person.

But yeah, depending on how much the "cage" itself weighs, a an overall hefty weight could mean good things as far as transformer specs for a lower cost amp.

It just seems, from the information/sounds currently available, like Vox decided to make a proper go of this one. I do hope that turns out to be the case.

-chris

• Members

Y'know, I forgot Warehouse has Blue clones that aren't three bills a speaker. There goes new monitors for a good while. :facepalm: Mesa --> Green Berets on one side of the cab and Vox --> Blues on the other. Hmm.

Any amp with the name "Viking Pillager" had better be awesome. I think it says that in the Constitution somewhere. :lol:

• Members
Y'know, I forgot Warehouse has Blue clones that aren't three bills a speaker. There goes new monitors for a good while.
:facepalm:
Mesa --> Green Berets on one side of the cab and Vox --> Blues on the other. Hmm.

Any amp with the name "Viking Pillager" had better be awesome. I think it says that in the Constitution somewhere.
:lol:

totally.. could you lose with a name like that? his other amp is 'the conqueror'... :lol: but i like the implication of pillaging for rock and roll.. conquering just seems too upright and doggone.. well.. proper by comparison..

the blues from WGS are what, a buck and change?

• Members
totally.. could you lose with a name like that? his other amp is 'the conqueror'...
:lol:
but i like the implication of pillaging for rock and roll.. conquering just seems too upright and doggone.. well.. proper by comparison..

the blues from WGS are what, a buck and change?

Conquering is too Epic Metal. It's the sort of thing Bruce Dickinson would sing about.

I just looked up the Blues real quick on the Warehouse site- they're a lot pricier than I thought- $225! :eek: I haven't seen any reviews on 'em yet either, and they've been out for a while. Everything else seems to compare favorably- Green Berets, British Leads, Reapers, Vet 30s, 65s, but I haven't read about anyone giving the Blues a crack... :idk:

• Members
Conquering is too Epic Metal. It's the sort of thing Bruce Dickinson would sing about.

I just looked up the Blues real quick on the Warehouse site- they're a lot pricier than I thought- $225!
:eek:
I haven't seen any reviews on 'em yet either, and they've been out for a while. Everything else seems to compare favorably- Green Berets, British Leads, Reapers, Vet 30s, 65s, but I haven't read about anyone giving the Blues a crack...
:idk:

seriously.. why save 50 bucks if you're already spending $500? may's well keep the resale value in the bank if yer gonna do it. i can't see anybody sayin' 'man-- i have this AWESOME cabinet.. i know it's an avatar, but it's got WGS blues in it... i want $800 for a 212...' might get a few odd looks on that one... even if it DID sound awesome...

• Members

Guitar Center's corporate control over pricing hurts items like this. This is one of those amps where it would be a great buy if you can get a sweet deal on it but at their standard pricing of $500, I might not buy it.

Explain this GC pricing policy a bit more. It seems like the non GC/MF/Music123 sites like SameDay and Samash usually have the same prices on new gear. I have a feeling a pricing policy is actually dictated by the manufacturers.

• Members

seriously.. why save 50 bucks if you're already spending $500? may's well keep the resale value in the bank if yer gonna do it. i can't see anybody sayin' 'man-- i have this AWESOME cabinet.. i know it's an avatar, but it's got WGS blues in it... i want $800 for a 212...' might get a few odd looks on that one... even if it DID sound awesome...

I found new Celestions on Sam Ash fer $249 a piece. There isn't enough price disparity there to justify losing out on the resale value there.

The best bang-for-buck deal on the Warehouse site is the 65s. Reissue 65s from Celestion cost more than three times as much as the equivalent.

• Members

Explain this GC pricing policy a bit more. It seems like the non GC/MF/Music123 sites like SameDay and Samash usually have the same prices on new gear. I have a feeling a pricing policy is actually dictated by the manufacturers.

Its fairly simple in my book. A few (literally 3 or so) years ago, negotiating price was not an issue. I'll give a personal example:

Last year, I bought a Boss GT-10 effects processor. I went into a Guitar Center, laid down five one hundred dollar bills and said to the clerk "I'd like to buy a GT-10 for 5 out of the door; can we make this happen?"

"No"

It was priced at $499.95 +Uncle Sam's cut. They wouldn't budge.

Just a few years ago, this would have been done in an instant and without thought. Now, "corporate policy" is that you prove that someone else is selling an item for a lower price and they will meet that price and beat it by up to 10%. The problem is how much of the market they have. GC is the Wal-Mart of music stores and has beaten the competition out in most places so the prices they set aren't moving. Music stores used to bargain with their customers more (and some still do). Guitar Center has set an ugly standard for the music buying community. No wonder sales are down for them.

As to this amp - its a nice piece, really. Its actually worth its price tag. Its not a "br00tal" amp by any means. Its clean as a whistle. For people looking for great clean tones - this is the one!

Oh, and they definitely didn't skimp on the metal. That sucker has a reinforced handle for a reason. I like the look of it, too. It stands out. Its a real slick-looking amp. I'd encourage anybody in the amp market who's looking for good cleans to check it out. I like that its compact. I hope they will keep this product going. Vox will sometimes abandon good pieces in their line ups in favor of experimentation.

• Members

Its fairly simple in my book. A few (literally 3 or so) years ago, negotiating price was not an issue. I'll give a personal example:

Last year, I bought a Boss GT-10 effects processor. I went into a Guitar Center, laid down five one hundred dollar bills and said to the clerk "I'd like to buy a GT-10 for 5 out of the door; can we make this happen?"

"No"

It was priced at $499.95 +Uncle Sam's cut. They wouldn't budge.

Just a few years ago, this would have been done in an instant and without thought. Now, "corporate policy" is that you prove that someone else is selling an item for a lower price and
they will meet that price and beat it by up to 10%.
The problem is how much of the market they have. GC is the Wal-Mart of music stores and has beaten the competition out in most places so the prices they set aren't moving. Music stores used to bargain with their customers more (and some still do). Guitar Center has set an ugly standard for the music buying community. No wonder sales are down for them.

As to this amp - its a nice piece, really. Its actually worth its price tag. Its not a "br00tal" amp by any means. Its clean as a whistle. For people looking for great clean tones - this is the one!

Oh, and they definitely didn't skimp on the metal. That sucker has a reinforced handle for a reason. I like the look of it, too. It stands out. Its a real slick-looking amp. I'd encourage anybody in the amp market who's looking for good cleans to check it out. I like that its compact. I hope they will keep this product going. Vox will sometimes abandon good pieces in their line ups in favor of experimentation.

They will meet the price, and give you 10% of the difference back.

If Guitar Center has a widget for $100 and Sam Ash has same widget for $90, the difference is $10 meaning you get $1 back.

Creative advertising FTL

• Members

It's made in China right?

I think its made in Vietnam. Vox has gotten really "creative" with explaining where their product is made. They put that "made in ______ under the direction of Vox England" or whatever. I'm pretty sure its made in Vietnam, though.

• Members

When I played in a 3 piece band for a while, I ran my Mesa Roadking 3/4 stack with a Vox AC30CC2 with everything turned up to 10, switched by a Radial Switchbone set to give the Vox a bit of a gain boost. I ran the Mesa rig behind me as my main rig, and the Vox on the other side of the stage, kicking it in to highlight riffs or make choruses huge.

That {censored} was the best tone I think I've ever had. So huge, present, biting, bloomy on the low end, just a serious wall of sound. I sold it all because I got tired of carrying it all around and running a million cables. That and my Soldano rig got me enough of that feeling to be good enough for me.

But seriously, if you ever get the chance to try a Recto and a AC30 ish amp together, do it and be ready to cream your pants.

• Members
But seriously, if you ever get the chance to try a Recto and a AC30 ish amp together, do it and be ready to cream your pants.

My bandmate plays a Recto sometimes... and a Triaxis, as far as Recto-flavored goes. (I play a Stiletto Deuce meself...) Having run several Marshalls and Marshall-flavored amps alongside Rectos and Recto-flavored amps in the past (and the present, sorta, though I dial the Stiletto toward the darker end of the spectrum)... I'll be sure to bring a change of underwear. :eek:

Archived