Friday Influences Thread 10.23.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

ROXANNE!

From what I gather, Sting originally wrote this as a bossa nova -- I think this live version gets closer to that feel. How many songs about prostitutes named after a character in Cyrano de Bergerac can you think of?

[YOUTUBE]HqA2AnvVK90[/YOUTUBE]

Aside from the classic album cut, also check out the arrangement in

and the mature reflection of this one with Jason Robello.

• Members

My acoustic trio tried to work up Roxanne as a two-step, and it was impossible. Bossa Nova should have occurred to me.

As for myself, I've been trying to learn "Never Fall in Love Again" by Bacharach & David. It's been a hard slog, since I'm learning it on uke from piano book, where it's written in Eb, and the transposition to a key I can sing in while simultaneously transposing onto the ukulele (in which I'm not yet fluent) is a bear. I should just write it out, but what's the fun in that?

Here's the Bobbie Gentry version, which I think was the biggest hit on it:

I've always been drawn to Bacharach's pain-in-the-ass, just-for-the-fun-of-it compositions, with the weird time signatures, chromatic {censored}ery, and melodic acrobatics. Increasingly, though, I'm feeling Hal David's determinedly nerdy lyrics. Obviously, the pneumonia bit in this one takes first prize, but there's a lot of great language throughout.

• Members

The transcribing things in my head to uke is driving me crazy, too. Some songs are no brainers, but once you get that fourth chord or have a key change in the bridge ... :(

I'm thinking about getting a set of strings tuned dGBe (re-entrant but like bari tuning) and being done with it.

• Moderators

This has been informing my work this week. The succinct songwriting, the simple arrangements, the godlike abilities of bassist Graham Maby. The guitar tone and push. That New Wave combo sound.

Fluke, the re-visiting of my 31 year old songs and band of this basic style is getting a shot of Joe. Elvis Costello invented the idea, he always did it better than Joe, deeper than Joe... but there's something I still dig about this taught, hyper, and on the mark sound. They sounded like they wanted to take themselves seriously but just couldn't help themselves having fun. Fun!

[YOUTUBE]V6xqtVoD-R8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

On October 23, 1980 (29 years ago Friday), I entered the hospital for a little over two months (going in a week before Hallowe'en, I got out on Christmas Eve) after a careless driver t-boned me and my motorcycle (nearly tearing off my left leg, rupturing the femoral artery and causing me to require 9 pints of plasma and blood before I was stabilized in an emergency operation). I was in traction most of that time. (Traction is where your leg is suspended in an elaborate rig above the bed -- you've probably seen it in old movies or cartoons. It's not done much anymore.) The doc wasn't sure I'd be able to walk again normally. Indeed, I used a cane for five years and ended up losing 2 inches in my injured leg until it was re-stabilized in a separate treatment in 1985-86.

This guy --and a lot of others, to be sure -- helped get me through, coming over headphones from the portable tape player I kept by my elbow:

SzlpTRNIAvc

It might seem like it's hard to feel like dancing when you're in traction and facing an uncertain future, but that's the power of funk... innit?

;)

• Members

I've always been drawn to Bacharach's pain-in-the-ass, just-for-the-fun-of-it compositions, with the weird time signatures, chromatic {censored}ery, and melodic acrobatics. Increasingly, though, I'm feeling Hal David's determinedly nerdy lyrics.

That is the single best description of Bacharach/David that I've ever read.

• Members

ROXANNE!

From what I gather, Sting originally wrote this as a bossa nova -- I think this live version gets closer to that feel.

He talks with Elvis Costello about writing it as a bossa and then plays the bossa version here:

[YOUTUBE]WgV6IOopi68[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

He talks with Elvis Costello about writing it as a bossa and then plays the bossa version here

Thanks for that. I may have that DVR'd somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. I really, really need to learn Alison. Worked up Roxanne last week, perhaps this coming week I'll get Alison going.

• Members

Talk about contrasting styles... it seems like it's gonna be a trainwreck starting out but things quickly fall into place and by the time they're exchanging lines and then harmonizing, they've found nicely complementary grooves. It shows how two masters in their respective fields can make attactive, intelligent music together that is something more than just a stylistic mashup.

Archived