Friday Influences Thread 11.27.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I'm still crazy about the Swell Season. Almost non-stop spinning. Their use of non-verbal interludes and hooks has actually been changing my writing in the past couple of weeks. As a solo performer, I have to use whatever I can to get across the song. I don't think I've taken the fullest advantage of non-verbal vocals, except for the occasional scat.

It has also caused me to reconsider my own use of the first-person perspective. Often, the "I" in my songs was a character. After listening to more of the Swell Season, I'm considering having the "I" being more freely autobiographical. Some of the songs I've written in the past have used both approaches, but I'm noticing that the personal approach has yielded at times better songs -- "better" in this case meaning the ones I get intense responses from an audience or individual. My model for character songs has usually been someone like Randy Newman, but lately I'm looking to Glen Hansard for this intensely personal approach.

Last FIT, I posted another song ("Low Rising") from the same session that today's comes from. Lovely tune, and the non-verbal interlude's harmonies are intensely beautiful and, for me, transcendent.

[YOUTUBE]VLzmBjKUdJ8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Willie Nelson's beat up old classical ain't got
nothin'
on
that
Tak. Holy crap, either that guy plays a
lot
or he's got some serious technique issues, or both...
:D

Pretty song, particularly considering it uses the AH word.
;)

From what I gather, he's had that git for two decades of busking, gigging, recording and touring. There's a great scene of him talking about it on DVD that comes with the Deluxed Limited Edition release of Strict Joy.

AH!!! :D Yeah, I'm not sure how some folks feel about that stuff -- but I'm digging it and it shows up all over the place. I think the songwriterly side of my persona worries that I'm not saying enough with those non-verbal lines, but the purely musical side says that I'm almost revealing too much. Sometimes ya gotta just have a gasp or a sigh. Show, don't tell.

And as I mentioned earlier, as a solo performer with just a guitar and my voice I'm trying to use as many tools as possible: play guitar, sing verses and chorus, play solos with chord blocks & single lines & walking bass, rhythmic skronks, hum, scat, whistle, grunt, and ... um ... what else ... ahhhh!

• Members

From what I gather, he's had that git for two decades of busking, gigging, recording and touring. There's a great scene of him talking about it on DVD that comes with the Deluxed Limited Edition release of Strict Joy.

AH!!!
:D
Yeah, I'm not sure how some folks feel about that stuff -- but I'm digging it and it shows up all over the place. I think the songwriterly side of my persona worries that I'm not saying enough with those non-verbal lines, but the purely musical side says that I'm almost revealing too much. Sometimes ya gotta just have a
gasp
or a
sigh
. Show, don't tell.

And as I mentioned earlier, as a solo performer with just a guitar and my voice I'm trying to use as many tools as possible: play guitar, sing verses and chorus, play solos with chord blocks & single lines & walking bass, rhythmic skronks, hum, scat, whistle, grunt, and ... um ... what else ... ahhhh!

I doubt you're old enough to remember the old 77 Sunset Strip TV show but I found a single episode on one of the (legit) video sites and it had a sequence with costar Roger Smith (it also had Efrem Zimbalist, Jr and Ed "Kookie" Burns) borrowing a guitar in a cantina in Mexico and singing a song in Spanish. The crazy thing was, it was a moderately tricky thing where you do your own rhythmic accompaniment -- a la some of the more developed tappers -- and it really appeared that he knew precisely what he was doing with the finger-syncing (his lip syncing was OK, too).

I tried looking up some biographical stuff on him (he's still with us) but dang Wikipedia couldn't seem to get past the fact that he and Ann Margaret have been married over forty years. (He's had health problems since before they were married in '67, and has mostly stayed out of the public eye.)

Er... childhood heroes notwithstanding... that percussion thing looked pretty snappy in that vid... and the girl he was trying to impress seemed to eat it up. (Turned out she was kind of playing him, but, hey, that's life on TV, eh? [EDIT: correction, the duplicitous female in this episode was a blond American girl; IIRC, Smith winds up the episode with this dark-eyed beauty below, who's been off camera for the plot shenanigans.])

EDIT: I happened to find this... on second view, it would appear he's probably got a little back up from a bongo player (you hear him discreetly during the main part of the song), but Smith seems to be keeping a good rhythm on what he's doing... More I think about it, I think he did a turn or two singing on Ed Sullivan. More than a few actors and others who weren't primarily singers would do the sing-on-Sullivan thing, as I recall.

r2qpCEeznr8

I'll bet -- bongo back up notwithstanding -- that he tore it up at parties back in the day. Of course, you walk into a party with Ann-Margaret on your arm, you're pretty much the hit of the party, a priori.

• Members

I picked up a couple of John Hiatt albums from the library this week and having Lee Knight knock his name loose a few weeks ago. He's in my genre, but he makes music that's more complicated (lyrically and musically) than me, but he doesn't loose any of the energy. I made a deliberate attempt in the past to dumb-down what I was doing, because it was extremely precious and overwrought. I'm going to try to add some of that complexity back in, using Hiatt as a model.

• Members

Kurt Vonnegut called them "America's poets".

On this song - they lived up it.

I've been listening to this song for about two weeks now.

Can't seem to stop.

It's hard to imagine how this song could be any better.

zdK5jD-cDts

(Don Reid - Harold Reid)

Tommy's selling used cars

Nancy's fixing hair

Harvey runs a grocery store

And Margaret doesn't care.

Jerry drives a truck for Sears

Charlotte's on the make

And Paul sells life insurance

And part-time real estate.

Helen is a hostess

Frank works at the mill

Janet teaches grade school

And probably always will.

Bob works for the city

And Jack's in lab research

And Peggy plays organ

At the Presbyterian Church.

And the class of '57 had its dreams

We all thought we'd change the world

With our great works and deeds

Or maybe we just thought the world

Would change to fit our needs.

The class of '57 had its dreams.

Betty runs a trailer park

Jan sells Tupperware

Randy's on an insane ward

And Mary's on welfare.

Charlie took a job with Ford

Joe took Freddie's wife

Charlotte took a millionaire

And Freddie took his life.

John is big in cattle

Ray is deep in debt

Where Marvis family wound up

Is anybody's bet.

Linda married Sonny

Brenda married me

And the class of all of us

Is just a part of history.

And the class of '57 had its dreams

But living life day to day

Is never like it seems

Things get complicated when

You get past eighteen.

But the class of '57 had its dreams.

Oh, the class of '57 had its dreams...

• Moderators

Also I've been keeping
this book
on the back of the toilet. It's a good reminder that even though I'm working in a two-minute medium, I can still say something. It's a collection of "micro-fiction", stories under 300 words.

That books looks like a great idea! I'll have to pick it up.

My inspiration this week... watching the ones around me deal with life's challenges. Serious health issues all around me with the ones I love the most. And as a result, seeing what I'm made of. I am Spartacus and a big {censored} wrapped up into one.

So I escape at times into my headphones and arrange and re-write and work my music and forget to buy milk. An escape and some needed diversion from the pain around me. My pain too. So my current inspiration is emotion driven by what seems to be overwhelming circumstance.

But it's never truly overwhelming. Is it?

• Members

So my current inspiration is emotion driven by what seems to be overwhelming circumstance.

But it's never truly overwhelming. Is it?

Since I'm on a Glen Hansard kick, I've been reading, watching, etc everything I can find about him. He said something about what you're going through: on the happy days, your journal is nothing blank pages; on the rough ones, the pages are full. (paraphrasing, not direct quote)

No real consolation, I know --but I think there's truth in it.

Prayers and mojo, Lee.

Archived