Addicted to covers?

rockinrobby

• Members

I like to write tunes? And my originals are pretty good? But I like to do covers too? Some songs "speak to you"... I'm working on a Travis Tritt cover called "Anymore" I have it pre-mastered... Another day or two and it will be done. But, I know it's a song "writing" forum? Don't some of you have some covers that you like to do too? When I finish this cover, I'm doing another called "Bones" by Little Big Town, little known? But again, it speaks to me? And my version WILL ROCK!!! And then I'm going to do an original. But covers are fun? Aren't they?

• Members

Yeah, I'm thinking about releasing an album with me? Just doing covers? No originals? And I'm going to call it, Rockin Robby, under the covers? That's right.. You can enjoy me under the covers for just 9.99 :-) I'll wash up between each session? And it's well worth it for 9.99? It's under 10 dollars? And you know you've always wanted to get under the covers with me? So come on!! Enjoy the pleasures which can only be experienced "under the covers..." Yes, you've been wrestling the decision? Why not wrestle with me? "under the covers..." You know you want to go there? Come on in! The sheets are clean! The comforter is comforting? And the covers are calling you

• Members
Yeah, I'm thinking about releasing an album with me? Just doing covers? No originals? And I'm going to call it, Rockin Robby, under the covers? That's right.. You can enjoy me under the covers for just 9.99 :-) I'll wash up between each session? And it's well worth it for 9.99? It's under 10 dollars? And you know you've always wanted to get under the covers with me? So come on!! Enjoy the pleasures which can only be experienced "under the covers..." Yes, you've been wrestling the decision? Why not wrestle with me? "under the covers..." You know you want to go there? Come on in! The sheets are clean! The comforter is comforting? And the covers are calling you

• Moderators

"

...Although it must be said that Three Dog Night tended to
make their covers bigger hits
(even as they annoyed some of us about to tears
;)
),

:) I can't help it. I love them. :) They are so corny, Three Dog Night that is, but... it must be nostalgia, and that fact that someone at ABC Dunhill with some awesome taste was picking tunes for them.

But I digress. I had to pipe in though cause of our long standing fork in the road. :)

Regrading covers, I consider One (One... is the loneliest number... one), one of my songs. Don't tell Harry Nilsson. I play and sing it every chance I get and really should get around to working up my version in a newer, personal arrangement.

Just choose your covers well and do something interesting with them to bring out a side of the song that maybe is less obvious to others. In other words, make it your own.

• Members

Semi-awesome taste, anyhow. Hoyt Axton had some pretty good songs (nothin' like Mama Mae, but still)... but "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" was not one of them. And, while I loved "Mama Told Me Not to Come" -- by writer Randy Newman, I soon wanted to go back and time and take him out before he wrote the song to prevent it from falling into the hands of 3DN -- a band so attuned to massive exploitation that in the year of their debut, 1969, they released two studio albums and a "live hits" album. The payola driven radio spam of 3DN was everywhere. They paid off everyone from the three piece suit guys at Boss Radio to the furry freaks at pseudo-underground outfits that the big broadcasters were rolling out in an attempt to co-opt and cash in on the new paradigm.

It's hardly a new concept, but I've had it in the back of my head to do an album of public domain covers... although I'll have to come up with my own title, since the fine Cali songwriter Dave Alvin already did that one. And did a fine job in his big lonesome alt country style. I was thinking of getting a little more subversive in my approach. Cookie Monster Metal "Shenandoah," anyone?

• Members

I'd even go 2/3 awesome taste in song picks. They really did cover some great little songs. But there was the other stuff, too.

I understand why someone with your inclusive and craft-conscious interests and tastes would find much to appreciate in 3DN, and maybe if they hadn't been on the radio every 22 minutes back then, I might not have OD'd so quickly. I was actually pretty taken with them the first time B. Mitchell Reed popped them on the air -- but it should have been a tip off when he played like the whole side. The fix was in and the 3DN onslaught wouldn't let up for a long time. That said, I don't think there's any question that they were enormously popular with the polyester bell bottom set. It seemed like, for a few years in the early 70s, they were playing at every normy party I went to.

PS... talking about Randy Newmann got me in the mood... I put his first few albums in my Rhap playlist in order... Oh... it's lonely at the top... Now there is a great little pop tune. I guess I've always identified with it because I decided early on, maybe when I was 17 or so, that I was going to be the hippest guy in the room wherever I went. And I always have been... :D

• Members

I have been recording some covers as of late.

In that past couple of months I've recorded Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi", The Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want", The Ohio Players "Skin Tight" and Jimi's "The Wind Cries Mary".

I really enjoy the recording process and it's enjoyable to record without havi g to be pressed at writing something too.

Archived