Ring Out, Wild Bells!

Stackabones

• Members

Ring Out, Wild Bells

A little collaboration between me and Alfred, Lord Tennyson. I wrote it and recorded it this morning. There are originally eight stanzas, but I only selected three. And I took the first line of the poem and used it as a chorus, or maybe it's called a burden.

Would you have used the same selection, or would you have made a different selction? I guess another possibility is just to sing every stanza. Any further observations and comments would be appreciated.

Ring Out, Wild Bells

Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,

The flying cloud, the frosty light:

The year is dying in the night;

Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out, ring out, ring out, ring out

Ring out, wild bells!

Ring out the old, ring in the new,

Ring, happy bells, across the snow:

The year is going, let him go;

Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out, wild bells!

Ring out the want, the care, the sin,

The faithless coldness of the times;

Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,

But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out, wild bells.

CHORDS

Verse

G D G

G D G

G D/F# Em D/F#

G D G

Chorus

G D/F# Em D/F#

C D G

• Members

Thanks, CM!

Non-pop-friendly rhyme scheme? Let's talk about that. Of course, this isn't really a pop song -- maybe it is, but who am I to say? :idk: I'm guessing by your statement that you believe that there are rhyme schemes that are more suitable for pop music than others. Am I reading you correctly? Pop music can't abide by the envelope stanza?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

CHORDS

Verse

G D G

G D G

G D/F# Em D/F#

G D G

Chorus

G D/F# Em D/F#

C D G

Sorry I missed this earlier. It's really good. I love the way you've created what sounds like a very traditional song. Almost like a Christmas carol. But not, of course. Each "verse" is perfect. I have a suggestion on the chorus.

But first...

This whole idea of giving critique to someone's work. It's really an awkward feeling when something is good, like this here, and there I go giving my opinion of what I might do differently. It might come off arrogant via this limited medium here. But arrogance is so far from my mind. First off, this is great work. Second, it is possibly a work in progress? Yes? And it is posted to be commented on?

Making those assumptions, I have a comment on the chorus. It's perfect. Except to me, not perfect when played next to the verse. Or rather, I'd treat it slightly different for purposes of contrast.

The rhythm of each verse line has an 8th note pick up ring (+) / OUT (1). Each phrase in the verses has the 8th note pickup before the one then lands nicely on that accented one.

Out

Fly(ing)

Year

Out

Right?

But you repeat that for your chorus. I think the chorus would jump if you took the "Ring out, ring out", those first two, and stretch the rhythm for contrast. The first rhythm that comes to mind is, (we're in 6/8 I think yeah?) counting a dotted quarter for "ring" and another for out. So counting in 8th notes

Ring (1,2,3) Out (4 rest, rest)

Ring (1,2,3) Out (4 rest, rest)

The melody possibly descending from the major 3rd (ring) 2nd (out) 1 (ring) 7th (out)

then the rest of the "ring outs" back to your 8th note pick up rhythm. That way you have a contrast, section to section. The pick up rhythm of the verses nicely sounds like a suggestion to the bells to ring out, where as the elongated rhythm of my test chorus then sounds like your reaction to the bells ringing out.

:idk:

• Members

I had never before considered the implicit pun...

Ring out the want, the care, the sin,

The faithless coldness of the times [...]

Wring out...

I think you might have to be really tanked up on wassail to bridge the gulf of time and really get into this lyric -- but in such a state, I could imagine singing all eight stanzas to this traditional sounding melody and having a fine old time.

• Members

I had never before considered the implicit pun...

Wring out...

I think you might have to be really tanked up on wassail to bridge the gulf of time and really get into this lyric -- but in such a state, I could imagine singing all eight stanzas to this traditional sounding melody and having a fine old time.

Ha! Never noticed that either. :thu:

I'm all for getting this song into the wassailing tradition! Who do I contact about this?

• Members

Ha! Never noticed that either.
:thu:

I'm all for getting this song into the wassailing tradition! Who do I contact about this?

I suggest viral marketing... next caroling season go out with a big flagon of wassail and a bunch of print outs of the song arranged for carolers and attach yourself to one group of carolers after another, handing out the sheet music (and if it happens to have the URL of your multi-level-marketing, SEO-enhanced website and storefront, well, you know, it's the way of the world)...

:D

• Members

I suggest viral marketing... next caroling season go out with a big flagon of wassail and a bunch of print outs of the song arranged for carolers and attach yourself to one group of carolers after another, handing out the sheet music (and if it happens to have the URL of your multi-level-marketing, SEO-enhanced website and storefront, well, you know, it's the way of the world)...

:D

I'm all over that ... uhm, except for ... what's an SEO?

www.ringoutwildbellswassail.com :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lord Tennyson is considered the most representative poet of the Victorian Age in England, and many of his works characterize the conflict between the Christian faith and the beginnings of the scientific revolution. The death of his sister's fianc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Slow tolling bells again on G, for "The year is dying..." The clarinet then softly tolls out the melody of the first line of the medieval chant 'Dies Irae' with a chordal accompaniment. This chant has three lines of text and so this section appears three times. It is interleaved with lyrical and more contrapuntal ideas initially led by the cello, though the piano keeps reminding us of the "wild bells," (and later in a climactic moment, the other instruments do so too). A very slow end, "let him die.

=================================

chevrolet impala wheel bearing

volkswagen scirocco

Archived