What amp would blend well with a MarkIV?

petejt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Recto?

Depends on what kinda music I guess...for metal, I'd probably say Framus Cobra bc, it's so opposite of the mark IV tonewise.

for a wide array of music I'd suggest a Recto, Tremoverb.

Thanks for the Recto suggestion. Despite my reputation of bashing Rectos, I actually really appreciated that, because I am considering a Recto 2:100, it might do just the trick....

What am really after is an external poweramp, to run a "satellite send" (preamp out signal after the effects loop) signal from the MarkIV. It can be mono or stereo, preferably stereo. And I'm looking for something that will blend well with the MarkIV.

I suppose I can also ask, what amps/poweramps would clash with the MarkIV? List them if you know them, please.

Anymore suggestions?

• Members

The VHT/Fryette 2:50:2 would be great if you want a clean reproduction of the MkIV tone, they're are very transparent power amps.

A Mesa Strategy 500 would also be great, it colors the tone, but since you're already running a Mesa, it won't clash with your existing tone just add some more fatness and lower mids.

If you're on a budget, check out the Carvin TS100, it's also very transparent and not bad sounding at all for the price, although it doesn't compare to the other 2 I mentioned.

• Members

Something dry and uncompressed like a VHT or Cobra. Sounds great to me

Disagree. Mark IV's can get saturated nicely but they are very upper mid focused amps and dont have loose saturated bottom end, in other words, dry, but not as dry as a vht or whatever.

I'd go recto or cobra.. lots of low mids that will blend in well with the mark iv's high mids

• Members

A Mesa Strategy 500 would also be great, it colors the tone, but since you're already running a Mesa, it won't clash with your existing tone just add some more fatness and lower mids.

I love the sound of that. That's what I want, more thud in the lower end, the fatness. My main tone is already fairly thick and chuggy, but it's a very tight, FOCUSED sound. It's like a big piece of roast meat that you are holding firmly in your hand really tightly so it doesn't let go.

But because I get rid of as much of the mud as possible (yep even with the MarkIV I hear mud), there isn't the thud that I want as well. It's not such a deep bass sound, more of an upper bass sound.

• Members

the recto is the perfect match IMO

But a Powerball or a fireball are great too.

I'm currently trying this out with my Fireball, and it just isn't working exactly how I want. It tends to smear the tone too much, unless I scoop out so much of the signal going to the Fireball that it's practically non-existent so I all hear is the MarkIV's main sound.

• Members

Recto. I think they go perfectly with the upper mid dryer Mark tone. I'm still kicking myself for not running the tremoverb and Mark IV together when I had them.

I have actually set up a Recto alongside my MarkIV, but didn't try running them together at the same time, or slaving the MarkIV's preamp signal to the Recto's fx return and running them together like that.

where's that pic again?

Archived