What amp would blend well with a MarkIV?

petejt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

recto power amp? ugh

just get the whole recto. you want that in your face fat thick overdrive from the preamp.

But I don't want the full Recto sound. I just want something to blend in with the MarkIV's already thick and chunky but very focused sound.

• Members

Hey folks, it's a little late in reply to this thread, but I just wanted to share this.

A mate of mine (Vic) brought over his blackface Recto head for me to try as a poweramp, an extra poweramp for the MarkIV. I think it's a Rev F version? not sure

I did a bunch of things, trying different modes, using the Satellite Send in comparsion to the Slave Out on the MarkIV.

And it worked great! It sounded best in Orange mode, had a richer sound. It took the awesome focused punchy sound of the MarkIV and added just the right amount of bloom to the tone, made it swell out just right, to add that 'thud that I'm after to slot into my huge but thickly defined and very crunchy-sounding MarkIV tone!

I even liked using the valve Rectifier and Spongy mode! I really was undecided between any combination of rectifier type (valve or diode) and Bold or Spongy. They all sounded great, especially in Orange mode!

I tried the Recto full as well, and I can see it's uses. But as a poweramp to run alongside the full MarkIV, it's great! Some extra EQ-tweaking will be in tow, but, that's ok. I'm really pleased with this :cool:

Now all I gotta do is make some cashola, save up, and hopefully snag a Recto 2:100 in a local sale in the Quokka or on GumTree (Aussie Craig's List). It has to be a 240 volt one because I don't want to spend the money to get it converted or use a step-down transformer with it.

• Members

In b4 'another Mark IV'...

I reckon an ENGL Fireball might sit well with your Boogie, or possibly a Custom Audio Electronics OD-100, or a Koch Powertone.

I've tried an Engl Fireball with my MarkIV for the last two years, and it's not working for me. The Fireball clashes too much, even when just using it as a separate poweramp. Any EQ-ing I do with it, I basically end up completely dialing out the Fireball and only hear the MarkIV.

• Members

I've tried an Engl Fireball with my MarkIV for the last two years, and it's not working for me. The Fireball clashes too much, even when just using it as a separate poweramp. Any EQ-ing I do with it, I basically end up completely dialing out the Fireball and only hear the MarkIV.

Once again the tyrannical forces of speculation are overthrown by the shining torch of experience. Guess that's one choice ruled out.

How about a Carvin Legacy with a tasty overdrive in front? Really, really dark and open but can handle gain well if you're using the right pedal.

EDIT: Oh hang on we're just talking poweramps here...hmm.

• Members

I just need a stereo poweramp.

I need to cut down on space, so two amp heads is out of the question. A two-space rack fits fine underneath my MarkIV. I need stereo for the 2nd cab. I want something that will make the notes bloom a bit, swell the notes out, enhance the thud, and thus blend well with the main tone from the MarkIV coming out of the 1st cab.

I know for a fact now that a Recto will serve my purpose. I just hope that the Rectifier 2:100 poweramp will do that, that's if it has Orange mode that is.

• Members

if you're looking for a power amp tho, maybe something like the marshall monoblock would be cool

Marshall would be cool. But I need STEREO.

Also I need something with a little 'bloom' and 'thud'.

• Members

Hang on, does the Recto 2:100 have Orange mode?

I need a poweramp that has the bloom and "note-swelling" factor, without being too loose. And MUST be stereo.

The 2:100 has a latching trigger jack on the back that kicks the amp into modern (red) mode. It's default is vintage (orange). So, in short, yes, it'll do orange mode.

Other than that, I'm not totally grasping why you need a stereo power amp to power 1 extra cab?

Also, is this going in a rack with the MkIV already mounted in it? I should warn you that the 2:100 is a heavy bitch (giant transformers)...

• Members

The 2:100 has a latching trigger jack on the back that kicks the amp into modern (red) mode. It's default is vintage (orange). So, in short, yes, it'll do orange mode.

Other than that, I'm not totally grasping why you need a stereo power amp to power 1 extra cab?

Also, is this going in a rack with the MkIV already mounted in it? I should warn you that the 2:100 is a heavy bitch (giant transformers)...

Cool, I'm glad that the 2:100 has Orange mode, and in default. :cool:

Nah, the MarkIV won't be rackmounted. I'll either put the 2:100 in its own rack and sit it on top of my Roland Jazz Chorus combo amp, or put it into a 6-space rack, and put the MarkIV head on top of it.

The second cab is stereo itself. So I need a stereo poweramp to run it. I don't want to get a third amp/poweramp just to run the right channel of that cab.

• Members

Now another question- my stereo cab is 16 ohms per side.

Does the 2:100 provide that?

I forget. It's been awhile since I sold it. Check the manual on the Boogie webpage.

Anyway, why not just wire the cab for 8ohm mono?

I don't think I've ever heard of a cab that didn't have a mono/stereo switch...

• Members

If you want to mix the sound of two amps what I've always had the best luck doing without retarded amounts of gear is this...

I'd run two heads stacked on top of a single 412 with the speakers wired stereo but in an X pattern. Run each amp into its own 8ohm side of the cab and use a buffered splitter up front to split your guitar signal after your effects.

What you do then is dial your main amp sound by juggling the volumes on the two amps to get the mix of sound you want. It sounds amazing if done right. You're carrying around two heads and one cab.

We actually ran my Orange and my buddies Road King that way. My DC with the Road King sounded killer as well.

• Members

I forget. It's been awhile since I sold it. Check the manual on the Boogie webpage.

Anyway, why not just wire the cab for 8ohm mono?

I don't think I've ever heard of a cab that didn't have a mono/stereo switch...

I think He wants to know if the 2:100 can be connected using 2 16ohms outputs in stereo, if this is the case then i don't think so, it would be 4ohms per side.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

A Mesa Strategy 500 would also be great, it colors the tone, but since you're already running a Mesa, it won't clash with your existing tone just add some more fatness and lower mids.

That's what I want!! :love:

I wish I could find this, now I feel stuck between a Recto 2:100 and the Strategy 500. What about the 400?

• Members

I think He wants to know if the 2:100 can be connected using 2 16ohms outputs in stereo, if this is the case then i don't think so, it would be 4ohms per side.

DAMN :mad:

Yep I want the cab to be 16 ohms stereo.

• Members

Now that I think of it, a Strategy 500 or 400 would be way too much.

I want headroom but a bit of flavour too. I know that with a little EQ-tailoring, a Recto 2:100 would be PERFECT, in fact it was damn bloody good already without EQ. But I am getting muddled with all these. It'd be easier if they were all easily available.

• Members

Recto. I think they go perfectly with the upper mid dryer Mark tone. I'm still kicking myself for not running the tremoverb and Mark IV together when I had them.

^ this , I'm thinking about grabbing a Tremoverb so I can run it in stereo with my Mark IV.

I had my rectoverb at the same time I had my Mark III and wehn I ran those in stereo it sounded great.

I can only imagine a IV and a Tremoverb would sound just as good if not better.

Archived