Drop A# and 25" scale? What size strings?

code_blue

• Members

I use 14-70s for my baritone tuned to B and its about the same tension as a standard scale in standard tuning so imagine something similiar would work on your standard scale with just a bit more sloppiness.

IMO that is MUCH too thick, especially for a baritone, which already provides more tension.

One of the nice things about baritones is the fact that you can tune down using thinner strings.

• Members

IMO that is MUCH too thick, especially for a baritone, which already provides more tension.

One of the nice things about baritones is the fact that you can tune down using thinner strings.

It would provide more tension if it was tuned higher but since its tuned to B its about the same as a standard tuned 25" scale guitar.

Ive tried 10-60s on a bari once and it felt like playing spaghetti.

• Members

Buy a baritone (ESP or Schecter)...Then 12 - 52 boomers with a wound 3rd...Perfect in my opinion.
:thu:

I like Les Paul style guitars though, so there aren't many options for baritone or 7-strings.

:

The new Stephen Carpenter signature 7-string is a tele, but also an $arm.leg.

• Members

I like Les Paul style guitars though, so there aren't many options for baritone or 7-strings.

:

The new Stephen Carpenter signature 7-string is a tele, but also an $arm.leg.

Find yourself a Gibson Les Paul Studio Baritone....Rare item, but they are out there. This tuning is just not very realistic for a 24.75" or 25" scale instrument. I remember reading an interview with Peter from Chevelle saying recording in this tuning with their PRS models....I believe he said recording in this tuning was nearly impossible.

• Members

+1

In std on a 25.5" scale 7-string in B, I use a 59 and get pretty even tension with my 10-46s for the top 6. A 70 in B would be huge tension (even a 60 is noticeably different from a 59)... definitely so on a baritone. :confused:

• Members

+1

In std on a 25.5" scale 7-string in B, I use a 59 and get pretty even tension with my 10-46s for the top 6. A 70 in B would be huge tension (even a 60 is noticeably different from a 59)... definitely so on a baritone.
:confused:

Its really not and im speaking from actual real life experience. My 28 inch scale Agile Baritone with 14-70's in B has about the same amount of tension as my LP with 10-46 in standard E.

Take a look around at baritone string sets, most are in the range i mentioned. Do you think they would market string sets if the tension was uncomfortably high and hard to play?

• Members

Ernie Ball makes sets for this type of setup. Beefy Slinky strings which run 11 - 54 and Not Even Slinky which run 12 - 56. I ran these on Les Pauls tuned to C standard occasionally dropping to A#. Held up well under those conditions I thought. Not too tight, not too loose. I liked the Beefy's more, but I like a little more looseness in my strings. I'd say go with the 12 - 56 set.

• Members

I tune A# on my baritone and use a 54 guage. I think a 56 would be nice too.

the {censored}?

I use a 52 on my guitars with the low being a C#.

I use a 56 for C

On my baritone I use a 74. Your guitars must be floppy as a mother {censored}.:freak:

baristrings1.jpg

baristrings2.jpg

• Members

It would provide more tension if it was tuned higher but since its tuned to B its about the same as a standard tuned 25" scale guitar.

Ive tried 10-60s on a bari once and it felt like playing spaghetti.

I'm with you. When I got it the only set I could find locally was like a 64 and was way too elastic.

• Members

Thank you Mesa, it seems like every time i mention what size strings i put on my bari everyone assumes that the tension is awful. Im beginning to suspect most have never played a bari or have only play horridly set up ones.

Also i use 10-60s for C# tuning which according to some is way too heavy a gauge, but its a fairly soft action at that point as well.

• Members

Thank you Mesa, it seems like every time i mention what size strings i put on my bari everyone assumes that the tension is awful. Im beginning to suspect most have never played a bari or have only play horridly set up ones.

Also i use 10-60s for C# tuning which according to some is way too heavy a gauge, but its a fairly soft action at that point as well.

I'm about to put up a video from my blackberry to set the record straight. Shows that my tension is still low with a 74. Also shows my guitars tuned to C# with a 52 as still low and with C at 56 still low.

• Members

Behold!!!

Guitar 1 & 2 - 25" scale, low C#, 52 gauge

Guitar 3 - 24.75" scale, low C, 56 gauge

Baritone - 28" scale, low Ab, 74 gauge

Seeing this I don't know how you get by on a baritone with strings so far off from this, and I don't understand how you could recommend what I use for C to someone wanting to do Bb. :confused:

Hopefully after seeing this you will see the light. :love:

[YOUTUBE]squxd7a2dss[/YOUTUBE]

Archived