The 'BEST' 4X12 money can buy, your suggestions please!

Cyber_Chyld

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:poke:

Totally different to the modern cabs; not sure of all the details but internal construction is different and they are just heavier (which is a big clue as to the woods being totally different imo)

Maybe they were built with old growth plywood. :idea:

• Members

I havent tried this 4x12, but I dont see why it would be bad. Maybe not as good as a Mills or whatever but I think their cabs are great value for money.

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p1812_TTC-4-12--REX.html

I have one of their 2x12s (British series) and it is awesome. Actually sounds bigger than my old oversized 2x12 (unbranded) and projects better in a band than the other guitarists Marshall 4x12 (1960a). Just doesnt have the girth, but I guess a 4x12 would sort that right out.

• Members

What speakers do you currently have in your Marshall? I would suggest a speaker swap and re-wire first.

I've already re-wired the cabs with some high quality heavy gauge speaker cable.

I've got G12t-75's in there at the moment. I know they're not the most revered of speakers, but from past experience I have preferred them over V30's.

They're certainly well 'broken in' although they do still seem a little 'shrill' at times.

I realy like a sound with plenty of upper mid 'bite' without sounding shrill. I also intensly dislike flab and flub. I suppose I might be after something with the upper mid sweetness of a greenback (which is not a speaker I usually like) with something with a really tight, modern low-end.

• Members

I have a Cornford cab that is a great cab. V30s but built well (been kicked about the place and lives in the band van....) and sounds great, not flubby at all.

My other favourite is my Vintage modern flat cab. It has the Jimi Hendrix greenbacks in it and it sound bloody great. Only cost me

• Members

Another vote for Matamp here. You can get two Retro cabs for the price of one Mills.

omg.. that's pure sex..

I've always wondered.. how do these vintage style cabs compare to the modern Mesas/Kranks.. in terms of sound???

My Matamp sounds huge, tight and full. It's a really big and thick sounding cab. The Mesa oversize was shrill compared to it and the VHT I had was comparable otherwise but a bit hollow compared to it.

• Members
My Matamp sounds huge, tight and full. It's a really big and thick sounding cab. The Mesa oversize was shrill compared to it and the VHT I had was comparable otherwise but a bit hollow compared to it.

ohreally?? Hey! You're in Finland! Sell me your Matamp cab, I'll come around and pick it up :wave:

• Members

What speakers do you currently have in your Marshall? I would suggest a speaker swap and re-wire first.

+1 although you say you've upgraded the wiring already....

Another thing I've done with great results in the past is silicone sealing the inside and adding some internal bracing. Swap the plastic handles for metal ones and seal them in too, and switch the chipboard rear pannel for a ply one....these things WILL tighten up your cabs. Trussssssssss Meh!

• Members
I had a feeling Curtis would come and post about that site's cabs.
:cop:
He told me all about 'em once.

I plan on ordering an Orange-style 212 from that guy some time. It's gonna be sexy.
:love:

What the {censored}? A 4x12 for 200 hundred dollars? That's phenomenal. I'd have to try one out though...

• Members
Being in England I would suggest finding an old HIWATT cab.

They are amazing, built like tanks and worth the money.

Orange are nice as well, so is bogner.

I havent played through a mills yet so I can compare.

I have tried Hiwatt and Orange cabs before, and certainly the ones I tried I didn't like (although admittedly it wasn't with my head and guitar). The old Fanes just sounded really fuzzy and indistinct to me :confused:

I'd be really interested to check out a Bogner, Diezel or Engl cab with my Marshall though. Esp, as I might be able to swing a deal through some contact on the Diezel and Engl.....

Thing is though, I'm really not sure that I like Vintage 30's! Everyone seems to love them but they always sound really 'cartoonish'-ly warm to me. A bit grainy and flabby too.Me no like that!

• Members

I have tried Hiwatt and Orange cabs before, and certainly the ones I tried I didn't like (although admittedly it wasn't with my head and guitar). The old Fanes just sounded really fuzzy and indistinct to me
:confused:

I'd be really interested to check out a Bogner, Diezel or Engl cab with my Marshall though. Esp, as I might be able to swing a deal through some contact on the Diezel and Engl.....

Thing is though, I'm really not sure that I like Vintage 30's! Everyone seems to love them but they always sound really 'cartoonish'-ly warm to me. A bit grainy and flabby too.Me no like that!

V30's are tight, not flabby in my experience.

Archived