The 'BEST' 4X12 money can buy, your suggestions please!

Cyber_Chyld

• Members

Hey guys, not been on here for a while.

VERY much back off tour now, and have been giving my Marshall 4X12's some serious stick (1960a and 1960b).

I'm starting to think that one 4X12 cab is all I'm ever really going to need, at most. It's got me thinking about perhaps selling both 4X12's and perhaps putting the money into one really great 4X12 to keep forever.

I've been fairly happy with the Marshall cabs, I'm certainly not un-happy with them, although I do wonder if I could do better. Would me nice to have a cab that sounds and feels a bit tighter (low mids esp.) whilst also being a bit sweeter/more compressed in the upper mids perhaps.

So, what's the HCAF consensus? Change of speakers? New cab? Stop being such a fussy bugger :lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'd say take your amp head and guitar and try them all out. You plan to have it for a long time and you should be able to try them all in London I guess.

'Tis a good idea and one I've thought about. Thing is it's still largely all the usual suspects around here. Peavey, Mesa, Marshall etc. I did try a friend's recto cab and didn't get on with that very well.
Was just wondering about stuff like Bogner's etc :confused:

• Members

The best 4x12 cabs out there, in my opinion, are the Mills Acoustics and Bogner cabs. The Mills is loud, tight, articulate, and has a really thunderous low-end response. The Bogner is a bit looser, kind of woody and more vintage voiced. Both are incredible cabs, but my preferance went to the Mills.

Other noteworthy cabs are the Diezels, Engls and Hiwatts. These are great cabs too, but are more pricey than the ones above and just don't sound as good.

• Members
PV Windsor
:o

It's actually not a bad cab, though I'm certain it doesn't qualify as one of the best though :lol: Plenty of low end and it cuts well.
The Marshall 1960 seems to be the tried-and-true option, though there are a lot of guitarists around here that have the Mesa cabs, and they are undoubtedly quality products. I haven't personally heard any of the high end stuff like Mills or any of those.

But, the "best" cab for your purposes is probably going to depend on what style you'll be playing.

Seems to me with their reasonable pricing and ability to choose whatever speakers suit you, Avatar would be the way to go for value-per-dollar.

• Members

I've been fairly happy with the Marshall cabs, I'm certainly not un-happy with them, although I do wonder if I could do better. Would me nice to have a cab that sounds and feels a bit tighter (low mids esp.) whilst also being a bit sweeter/more compressed in the upper mids perhaps.

Diezel?

• Members

Please see my sig for super affordable, custom options... or go here http://www.abcustomaudio.net.

Their Marshall styled 412, (it's about the same size as your 1960,) is a monster tone machine! They're tight, loud, forward and lots of rich, low mids and they sound great in a room. Lots of projection, and the price can't be beat.

Easily as good of a build quality as the Avatar's I've owned and played and are ACTUALLY custom. Mine is a special size actually... 32x32x16.... it's a monster...

-Curtis

• Members

Diezel cabs are now built strictly in Germany. These are a new cab design from the inside where it counts. They are supposed to be amazing sounding, very strong, and offer better speaker tone and projection then the traditionally built cabs.
I believe they are at least worth checking out.

The speakers you select, and whether you have them rear or front loaded will of course make or break your tone.

• Members

Some great suggestions there guys, thanks. Unfortunately I'm UK based so I'm afraid anything that doesn't have UK distribution is out for me.
Those Mills cabs sound very interesting, are they available in the UK?

My Marshall cabs are also flight-cased, so it'd be really handy if any replacement cab was a similar size. Having said that, if a cab really knocked my socks off I could always have another case made up.

• Members
I'll allways stick with Marshalls.

Judging by how much those Mills acoustic cab sell for here (1300 quid!) :eek: I reckon I might be too!

Seriously though, are they really more than THREE TIMES the speaker cabinet a Marshall is? It's an honest question, but.....blimey, that's a VERY expensive speaker cab!

• Members
Judging by how much those Mills acoustic cab sell for here (1300 quid!)
:eek:
I reckon I might be too!

Seriously though, are they really more than THREE TIMES the speaker cabinet a Marshall is? It's an honest question, but.....blimey, that's a VERY expensive speaker cab!

Most if not all of the people who own them (including myself) will tell you that the Mills cabs are absolutely worth the price of admission. They really are 3 times the cab.

• Members
Judging by how much those Mills acoustic cab sell for here (1300 quid!)
:eek:
I reckon I might be too!

I've never played a mills, I would love to I'm sure they kill. But all my hero's sound fine playing their Marshalls.;)

• Members

I have a Marshall 1960A and an Engl Pro V30 cab. Its like night and day. The Engl is WAY better and the cab does make a big difference to the sound.

Engl can be had quiet easy in the UK too - at least new. You dont see too many pop up 2nd hand though which is usually a good sign.

I'd definitely put it on my list of ones to check out

• Members

:poke:

Get and old Marshall cab
Maybe an old 60s basketweave :love: or up to the early 1980s JCM800 badged with the G12 65s they just produced awesome cabs then.

Totally different to the modern cabs; not sure of all the details but internal construction is different and they are just heavier (which is a big clue as to the woods being totally different imo)

bonus is you'll probably get a sweet set of speakers and only pay 200-300 (

Archived