I've had an Epiphany....

Mrak_III

• Members

You just need to realize it isn't about how "fast" you can play something. There is sooo much out there to uncover that eclipses speed in my opinion. Sure it's cool to watch people play 9000 notes in a second, but I'm way more impressed when a guitar player can play a melodic passage that brings out serious emotion in myself when i hear it.

You've got the chops, you just need to learn to bring out emotion in your playing, and speed won't even matter anymore :)

• Members
You just need to realize it isn't about how "fast" you can play something. There is sooo much out there to uncover that eclipses speed in my opinion. Sure it's cool to watch people play 9000 notes in a second, but I'm way more impressed when a guitar player can play a melodic passage that brings out serious emotion in myself when i hear it.

You've got the chops, you just need to learn to bring out emotion in your playing, and speed won't even matter anymore
:)

{censored}ing this. Jeff Beck is the prime example. He can play fast, but he rarely does. He makes just a standard Strat sound like it's part of the earth, and part of him.

• Members

There are always people better out there than you. You can always improve . . . practice and learning never end. But you need to be aware that there will always be people out there more advanced than you.

• Members

Really? Wow, thanks man. That means a ton. I really don't consider myself that good.

Dude, your phrasing is amazing, you can play fast and have it be as clean as whatever clean, and all the notes are fluid and yet it be still very musical and emotion. You also have a sick ass way of being able to hear the pick attack. Another thing, you'r versitile like hell, you can play many different styles. Ok, Ok, i'm done sucking your dick. But seriously, your {censored}ing good. I bet I won't reach your level until i'm 13, although you have been playing for like 10 years and me for around 2 and a half.

• Members
Dude, your phrasing is amazing, you can play fast and
have it be as clean as an 8 year old girl's {censored}
, and all the notes are fluid and yet it be still very musical and emotion. You also have a sick ass way of being able to hear the pick attack. Another thing, you'r versitile like hell, you can play many different styles. Ok, Ok, i'm done sucking your dick. But seriously, your {censored}ing good. I bet I won't reach your level until i'm 13, although you have been playing for like 10 years and me for around 2 and a half.

I LOL'd hard here :lol: Seriously, thanks though bro. I think you're damn amazing too, especially for your age. I can't pull off half that technical stuff that you do, and your writing skills kill me.

• Members

you should have another epiphany and realize that is not really about how good you are at guitar, but how good is the music you make with it and how well you are able to express yourself with your instrument.

There are very few people out there who even care about fast guitar playing and most of them are guitar players who are a bunch of jaded cocksuckers and won't give you recognition even if you deserve it. The rest of the world just want to listen to good music and have a good time.

• Members
Man, I just noticed, you've been sneakly trying to copy my rig
:cop:

The Mark III, you were gonna get a Basson 2x12, and the ISP Decimator and Carbon Copy you wanted

:o

:lol:

What about my Randall XL cab, my Ibanez RG with EMG's (and DiMarzio's in the future), my future Carvin DC 145, and my future MXR 10-band? :cop:

• Members

Virtuosos are boring.

I'd rather see a lazy cat beat it's tail around haphazardly than hear an insect buzzing and flying all wildly around me over the aural atmosphere.

Nobody cares how fast and proficient you are, it's more about the delivery and relatability.

• Members

Virtuosos are boring.

I'd rather see a lazy cat beat it's tail around haphazardly than hear an insect buzzing and flying all wildly around me over the aural atmosphere.

Nobody cares how fast and proficient you are, it's more about the delivery and relatability.

Well put. Can't stand 5 minutes of Vai or Malmsteen. Better than demerol for putting me to sleep. Give me Keith Richards or John Reis anyday.

• Members

I think it's a normal part of getting better. I've had this realization a few times in the 15 years I've been playing. Each time it happens, I've used it as motivation to take my playing and understanding of music up a notch. I've met cocky 50 year old guitar vets that can barely fret a C chord who have obviously never let themselves be humbled by others.

• Members

you should have another epiphany and realize that is not really about how good you are at guitar, but how good is the music you make with it and how well you are able to express yourself with your instrument.

There are very few people out there who even care about fast guitar playing and most of them are guitar players who are a bunch of jaded cocksuckers and won't give you recognition even if you deserve it. The rest of the world just want to listen to good music and have a good time.

These. That being said, the cleaner and more proficient you are the better off you'll be, no matter what you do with it. And the occasional lightning-fast run can be great in almost any style. But speed is only a very small part of the whole picture.

• Members

You've got the chops, you just need to learn to bring out emotion in your playing, and speed won't even matter anymore
:)

This. I love shred, but in the end it's about being able to put some cool and hopefully diverse material together. IMO, something like Jack White's overall song material >>>>>>>>> the typical shredder's overall song material, and I say that as someone who's not even much of a Jack White or White Stripes fan.

• Members

Another + 1. I can definitely listen to shred hours on end if it's good or by different artists, but most days I can more easily get into even whatever's on the local classic rock radio station. :D

Archived