Friday Influences Thread 03.19.10

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

Last year I ran across a line from Whitman's The Song of the Open Road that I scribbled down in my notebook and eventually memorized.

Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

For me, divesting myself of the holds meant getting rid of the ideas of what a song should be or how it should be structured. It meant casting away notions of song length and appropriate content. It meant letting go of my expections of what I thought an audience wanted to hear in a song. It meant purging myself from pondering about the purpose of songs.

• Members

Alex Chilton - RIP

[YOUTUBE]QIfPIwWn-vg[/YOUTUBE]

Big Star defined a particular production formula: jangly guitar sus arpeggios over a bed of crunchy power chords, crisp drums, backing vocals with oohs and aahs and las, gratuitous handclaps and percussion, lots of mix clarity around 2K - it's a formula, but boy does it work, and lots of lesser artists have used it effectively.

The thing I really loved about Alex Chilton is that he didn't get locked in to any one formula. He had a restless musical intelligence wrapped in the spirit of a true performer.

I miss him already.

• Members

bake, the "would" in the line is very telling. the inevitablity of it. you have a very sharp and true relative view. your songwriting has been incredible since the divesting. on several fronts....

townes always inspires me...i covered the lonesome sanitarium blues...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=8795000

townes' version is much better, although a bit over-produced. the talking/singing mumbling blues is great. those are some blues. you get the feeling he was there. which he was.

pg

• Members

Hi folks, I tried my hand at writing in my younger days, and wince at those lyrics lol.

The answer is easy for me if I were to name an influence. Jay Farrar of Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt fame. He is who got me writing and playing guitar again.

From Tear Stained Eye

"Walking down Main Street

Getting to know the concrete

Looking for a purpose

From a neon sign..."

The Coal Men is a band I've discovered recently, and their lyrics are good imho

From A Ringing Still...

"And I check out of that one night room

And watch the morning rise and bloom

It

• Members

Two of my favorites from back in the day.

I think what really gets me with The Clash is the line "I wasn't so born as much as I fell out"

I dunno, in this weird diaspora I occasionally find myself in, it really resonates. I luv that album. It's one of those albums that I can't forget, yet I play every couple of months to remind myself of that fact.

That and and Ken Burns PBS documentary on jazz. I've watched it fully about three times now, and it always seems to inspire me.

• Moderators

Dennis Lehane.

The Given Day, Shutter Island, Mystic River... and before those great novels, he wrote a crime series set in modern day Boston. Hard characters that bring cliche to mind but written about without an ounce of cliche. The film Gone Baby Gone was born out of that series.

This guy writes prose without pretense and frill. He's got balls but not in the payoff phrase way of a Schwarzenegger or Willis film character. In a real way. Balls with fear. Real. In The Given Day he brings Babe Ruth back to life as the very interesting man/child pre rock star he was. No head for numbers but give me a drink and a bat.

That's my recent inspiration for writing songs. To try and "make {censored} up" as I like to refer to it, but make it more real than reality. Or at least more efficient.

I said try... :)

Then to combine that with my love for great pop music of all kinds. That's the nut I've been trying to crack

• Members

Recently there's been a fundamental reassessment in my approach to composition and songwriting. This paradigm shift has been brought about by, of all things, Hip Hop. I now think in chopped up chunks of finished songs much the same way producers dig crates for samples and make beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5TaO0UBTc

It's the difference between seeing in color vs only black and white: Quartertones! This warped my brain the first few time hearing it in a Western setting

Paddy McAloon has just become one of my most cherished songwriters after having recently bought Steve McQueen and Jordan: The Comeback. This is perfect pop at its best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqZKcpOYZME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7Jy-6Xp4c

Archived